View Full Version : Henry Kaiser

M29
January 4th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Not suhr what to think about this...

M29

l1qCczGgSxw&feature=related

oldguy
January 5th, 2009, 04:09 AM
You mean something new and different, like the stutter effect, or Dumble's rhythm playing??????:D

WackyT
January 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Well, that makes the ears bleed quite a bit. But, with music nowadays, I can definitely see it hitting the charts soon.

M29
January 5th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I went to this in a search for Dumble and was quite surprised and confused. I guess it is some sort of free form thing or something...I am probably missing something profound here but it just don't appeal to me. Dumbles rhythm sounds good and then...well...I just don't know...

bigoldron
January 5th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Suhr sounds like a load of crap to me. :whatever: :messedup: :puke:

tunghaichuan
January 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
{sarcasm on}
Yeah, God forbid Henry Kaiser should do anything but ape Jimi, SRV, Clapton, Skynyrd, etc. I mean, there is only a small window of acceptable playing in the guitar world. What the hell was he thinking? :confused:
{sarcasm off}

tung

duhvoodooman
January 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
While (1) Henry is certainly free to play however he wishes, and (2) experimentation and discovery are a vital part of music, (3) this still sounds like cat torture to me. Call me unsophisticated, which is undoubtedly accurate! :D

Nice amp, though! :AOK:

M29
January 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Oooh I do like that amp:dude:

tunghaichuan
January 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
While (1) Henry is certainly free to play however he wishes, and (2) experimentation and discovery are a vital part of music, (3) this still sounds like cat torture to me. Call me unsophisticated, which is undoubtedly accurate! :D

Nice amp, though! :AOK:

Personally, I can't stand Henry Kaiser's music. It sounds like cat torture to me as well.

I'm not sophisticated either, but I can appreciate what he is doing. And I applaud him for doing so. So rather than saying that *he* sucks or *his music* sucks, I would rather say that I do not enjoy it.

And while I occasionally enjoy classic rock/blues, one thing that I notice about it is the slavish devotion it inspires among guitar players, to the exclusion of everything else. To many (if not most) guitar players classic rock/blues is the be all and end all of music. Nothing else is acceptable. Everything outside this narrow little window "sucks" or is "terrible."

I appologize if my previous post was abrasive, but it really gets my hackles up to read an out and out dismissal of a player just because he doesn't fit into the predetermined, correct style of music.

And I'm sure that many of Jimi's detractors labled his music as "cat torture" when he first hit the scene. :D

tung

duhvoodooman
January 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Personally, I can't stand Henry Kaiser's music. It sounds like cat torture to me as well.

I'm not sophisticated either, but I can appreciate what he is doing. And I applaud him for doing so. So rather than saying that *he* sucks or *his music* sucks, I would rather say that I do not enjoy it.

And while I occasionally enjoy classic rock/blues, one thing that I notice about it is the slavish devotion it inspires among guitar players, to the exclusion of everything else. To many (if not most) guitar players classic rock/blues is the be all and end all of music. Nothing else is acceptable. Everything outside this narrow little window "sucks" or is "terrible."

I appologize if my previous post was abrasive, but it really gets my hackles up to read an out and out dismissal of a player just because he doesn't fit into the predetermined, correct style of music.

And I'm sure that many of Jimi's detractors labled his music as "cat torture" when he first hit the scene. :D

tung
Points well taken, and I for one certainly didn't find your post abrasive. But I'm glad to hear you agree with the "cat torture" theory in this particular case! :D

markb
January 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Henry Kaiser's an interesting musician. Find a copy of Live, Love, Larf and Loaf by French, Frith, Kaiser and Thompson for his more melodic side. Failing that, look out for his forays into world music with David Lindley. If everyone played like Jimi/Eric/Stevie the world would be a dull place (there are times when I think this has already happened :) ).

PS: that video has been discussed to death all over the web. Try a search at www.thegearpage.net and see how many hits you get :)

PPS: He often uses divided by 13 amps now ;)

sumitomo
January 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
You know a long time ago I had sounds like that come out of my amph,It was after I ate a bunch of these mushrooms I found in the woods and my sides hurt too,couldn't stop laughing at the sounds that came out of my amph.Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Henry Kaiser's an interesting musician. Find a copy of Live, Love, Larf and Loaf by French, Frith, Kaiser and Thompson for his more melodic side. Failing that, look out for his forays into world music with David Lindley. If everyone played like Jimi/Eric/Stevie the world would be a dull place (there are times when I think this has already happened :) ).
I have Love, Larf, & Loaf.

There is something going on in Henry Kaiser's music that I think has been required by the universe by the existence of Brittany Spear's music.
In fact, this clip is nothing compared to the farther reaches of this style music.

I have always found people's reaction to music entertaining.

For example, I have a friend who gives me every blues-blues/rock CD he ever receives. He ONLY likes Irish/Celtic music & it better have fiddle players & none of that Scottish/Nova Scotia fiddle playing crap like Natalie McMaster.

N-d9A0jRBYY

I find that hilarious, but who I am to judge? He knows what does it for him. On the other hand, I am happy to like everything that he likes & much, much more.

I also know someone who ONLY likes Japanese noise bands. This to me is equivalent to only liking Irish music. I think the same part of the brain is involved.

My oldest son tells me that melodic music makes him tense & it's true. he'll pace & figit if I play something with even a slight lyrical feel, but he'll get very, very happy & energetic if you play the Dead Kennedy's, or Black Flag, or the Residents.

I like all of those as well.

If you absolutely hate a particular style of music--more power to you. You've found a button inside you that tells you something about your inner workings. If someone else adores that same style, more power to them as well for they have also discovered a secret button. Emotional reactions positive or negative have the odor of inner psyche/soul stuff to me. If there is such stuff at all.

My wife tells me that I like too many styles of music, but she's blames it on my extraterrestrial origins. We prefer on buttons to off buttons on my planet. ;)

Jimi75
January 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM
That was krank! Why has this guys all his pedals spread throughout the room?
Crazy, but amusing.

R_of_G
January 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I'm not particularly fond of a lot of Kaiser's stuff, but I definitely appreciate the experimental approach and there is some of it I do like. I have a couple of Yo Miles! shows and Kaiser definitely has some interesting takes on Miles' electric catalog. I give the guy credit for at least being innovative and infinitely more interesting than just another guy trying to recapture SRV's sound.

Robert
January 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
How many cats were hurt in the making of this video? :)

oldguy
January 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
There's more to Henry than the vid M29 posted...........but if no one takes the time to look further they might think that's all he does. Wrong. I spent all of maybe 30 min. checking out his other videos (which were actually one long video made in 1990, and cut up and posted on youtube).

Start this playing at around 7:30 to hear some cool alternate tuning voicings.

BA_TF7pYlcI&feature=channel

mrmudcat
January 6th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hard for me personally to digest:puke:

oldguy
January 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Which of the two was the worst, Muddy. The first one M29 posted, or the one I posted?

Spudman
January 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
To the first video - poor kitty :puke:

mrmudcat
January 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Which of the two was the worst, Muddy. The first one M29 posted, or the one I posted?

Well the clip you posted was bad ,but that first clip was beyond that even!!:thwap:

oldguy
January 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I was just wonderin'......... I watched all the videos (I'm off work for a week or two) and I think the guy can play........he just doesn't play anything I can really get into, even tho I tried (that's why I posted the vid, I'm trying to like him)........some of it's not too bad to my ears, but I'm pretty flexible, 'cept for rap. I know there's prob'ly some good rap out there, but I can't find it!:thwap: :thwap: :D :D :D

M29
January 6th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I just did not know what to think. He is obviously a great player and I can appreciate going out there and playing what ever he wants and what ever he thinks is appropriate but I like more melody I just can't get away from it. I am all for being different and getting away from any norm but I tried as well and once I find a place where I get into it...I loose it again. He is a very good artist and player though. I never heard of him until now.
Thank you all for the interesting discussion, I now I know who Henry Kaiser is.

M

tunghaichuan
January 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Well the clip you posted was bad ,but that first clip was beyond that even!!:thwap:

I guess that is what I take issue with. Do you mean bad in that there is something inherently wrong with Kaiser's playing? Or bad in that it doesn't fit into your preconceived view of how music should be played?

Not a slam on you, MrM., I'm just curious why you think it is *bad.*

And again, I don't particularly like Henry Kaiser's playing, mainly because it doesn't fit in to my preconceived view of how music should be played. OTOH, I wouldn't label it *bad* as I believe it has artistic merit in and of itself.

tung

tunghaichuan
January 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
For anyone interested:

Interview with Henry Kaiser (http://negation.hoster905.com/negations/cone/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=711)

Sound Samples (http://www.bertswitzer.com/kaiser-switzer/)

Kaiser's Home Page (http://www.henrykaiser.net/)

tung