PDA

View Full Version : 22 Fret Neck

WindyCity100
January 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Mornin'

Waitin for the Direct TV guy to show and something occured to me that I meant to bring up. In the saga of the Paper shims, the reason I had removed the neck in the first place was to see if a MM 22 fret neck would fit on my MIM Strat. It does, but the fingerboard, having the extra fret actually sits on the pickguard. I did some reading at a couple Fender info sites and they seem to confirm this. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with this.

And this leads me to another question. If there is no pickguard for that over hang to rest on, does it just float or is there something placed underneath for suppport? Not knowing the terminology to google stuff like this is killing me!:confused:

marnold
January 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
On my Floyd there is a little gap between the fretboard extension and the pickguard. Without a pickguard, the gap is more noticeable. It doesn't affect anything. You have to have pneumatic hammers for hands to damage that by playing.

Bloozcat
January 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
There should be a slight gap between the fretboard extension and the pickguard. I put together a parts-o-caster about a year and a half back using a MIM Fender Players Strat body and a MM neck...no problems...

Could the neck pocket on the body be routed a little deep...?

WindyCity100
January 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Blooz...I don't think so..I didn't screw it down (no holes yet), but it didn't seem overly tight. The heel thickness on the neck is actually about 1/64th over 3/4 of an inch, so you can imagine there's a fair gap vs a standard 5/8 heel. This neck was originally slated for a part-o-caster and when I cut the neck pocket for that one, I made it deep enough so the overhang is just a hair above the body (no pickguard).

I guess like all things, I'll just have to give it a shot and chalk it up as learning experience. Thanks Guys!! :beer:

markb
January 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
The presence of shims and the fact that the overhang hits the pickguard suggests that the pocket is a little deep, especially at the back. When I got my strat the neck was way too low in the pocket needing an adjustment with the microtilt bolt (standard on US strats). Like Marnold says, the overhang is strong enough to just hang there without support.