PDA

View Full Version : Early Peavey Fury (angled super ferrite pup) bass?

Brian Krashpad
January 5th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Anybody have any experience with these?

Early-to-mid '80's, USA. Being Peavey, I'd expect they're bullet-proof. Have tried Googling but I keep getting all the later USA P-bass copies (also called "Fury") instead, or the later MIK imports (which were even further afield, with 2 rectangualr HB's, but still called "Fury"). So far as I can tell the angled super-ferrite pickup is the same as was on the earlier T-20 bass, so if anyone knows about those instead, lemme know.

There's one I can get in a local pawn for $150 USD or less.

marnold
January 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I'm not familiar with the angled pup one. I did have the p-bass version which I wish I never would have sold. I hear good things about those pickups. If the bass is anything like the p-bass version I'd say go for it.

Spudman
January 5th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I had one of the older guitars with the super-ferrite pickups. They worked but I wasn't super excited by the response curve. I'd check to see if there are any aftermarket pickups that would fit it because most likely it's a well built instrument anyway.

Brian Krashpad
January 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Spud, was yours a guitar or bass? I know Peavey had "super ferrite" pups on both guitars and bases in the T-series and post-T-series (as this Fury) guitars and basses.

Other buds of mine with T-15 guitars (also w/super ferrites) have been pleased, comparing to P-90's. Am in dark re bass pups though. The angled design probably precludes anything but a custom rewind/rebuild though. The angled Peavey super ferrite bass pup had a "thumb rest" as part of the pickup cover/ring, and it's very idiosynchratic. I'll post a pic of the similar T20 to show what I mean presently.

marnold
January 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I know there have been threads on those pups over at TalkBass. Might want to do a quick search over there.

Brian Krashpad
January 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I know there have been threads on those pups over at TalkBass. Might want to do a quick search over there.

Yeah Googling got me a couple results there but nothing very definitive. Thanks.