PDA

View Full Version : Terje Rypdal

Robert
January 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
A lot of people seem to be in awe of this Norwegian guitarist. I do not understand why. I want to like him, but my ears keep telling me no. I saw him live in the '90s, and it was honestly the worst concert I've ever been to.

Here's a few clips of Rypdal. Tell me what you think of this guy. Am I the only one not "getting it"?

M9ytfIWBZqc
V4npYoNL8pk
BufBjUfGPtI

birv2
January 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Lots of tricks -- tapping, detuning, overuse of effects, divebombs, whammy stuff...

I agree with you, Robert. When you strip away all the tricks, there doesn't seem to be much there. Not much "musicality".

Bob

tjcurtin1
January 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
+1

Blaze
January 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I heard him in the 80 s ,not my cup of tea,same thing for these EMC jazz guys that i found too cold..Can t beleive the amount of the delay he s using on the first clip..

oldguy
January 5th, 2009, 07:06 PM
In the first clip I couldn't hear him half the time.
I never thought of "Hideaway" as a brass jazz piece. Still don't, esp. after that rendition. He's a good enough player, tho.
The second clip I actually kinda dig......... but what I do notice with instrumentals I really dig......Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson, for instance.....the songs have a definite beginning, middle, and end, like a good book. This one just kinda meanders around and fades out.
Third clip, kinda the same thing.......... I was getting all set for some in-your-face taking-it-to-the-next-level stuff............and it never happened.:confused:

I don't think there's anything you "don't get" Robert, I think the majority of people relate better to music that grabs you, takes you higher, and sets you back down at the end so you know it's over. This guy's a good picker, but his music doesn't do that (at least not for me).:pancake:

rugbynyc
January 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Ehh...not my cup of tea...to each his own but I'm with you....

Robert
January 5th, 2009, 07:39 PM
This tune is interesting. http://www.lastfm.se/music/Terje+Rypdal/_/Midnite?autostart

marnold
January 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM
The first one just had a crazy amount of delay which was very distracting to me. The other two are jazzier and I am by no stretch of the imagination a jazz expert. Generally speaking I can take jazz in small doses, but that's about it. Just not my thing.