PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone SG Junior ??????

Hoot Gibson
January 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Guys and Gals, I just picked up this guitar and yah, I know it's not the SG Junior that ol' Hoot wanted, but I'm trying to make the best of it. Does anyone have any information on these. Yup, they're Epi G-310 Juniors, but there seems to be a couple of models. The other model has a single P-90 with dogear mounts and the placement of the volume knob is slightly different. So, anyone know why they made 2 models of the same model (what the heck are you talking about Hoot?), dates of production and how does the P-90 compare the the open coil Humbucker? Jeez I wish life were simpler.............

Duff
January 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I bought a Epi LP Jr and wound up taking it back for a refund and plan on getting a Squire CV '50. The LP Jr sounded and felt and played great though.

The P 90 would sound different because it's single coil, might be a little noisey. But P 90's sound great, really great; but not like a humbucker and that humbucker on that Jr if it is like the one on the LP Jr it sounds really good and has a really wide range of tone, sort of P 90ish sounding actually, without the noise.

It is a decent looking guitar for what it is but I don't prefer the white pickup ring same as my black LP Jr had. I was going to spray paint it black.

I already have a couple flat top LP style guitars that sound better, like my ESP EC50 with the Epi stock pickups from my LP standard, chrome plated.

Duffy

Hoot Gibson
January 7th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Duff, I agree, the white pup ring is kinda like a festering zit on the end of your nose. I plan on replacing it with a black ring. Good to hear that these guitars sound and play good. I've had 2 other epi's: a G-400 and a Dot Studio. Each had it's own idiosycrazies. I only bought this one because of the resemblance to the Gibson SG Junior. Always liked that nice clean, classic look of an SG. I also play a 78 Les Paul Artist, a 83 Gibson Challenger, 88 Fender Jap strat, and an Ovation Breadwinner, amongst a host of acoustics. We'll see how the SG stacks up, but I more or less just bought it for nostalgic purposes. As always, Hoot on!

Duff
January 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I liked my LP Jr, brand new, and it was perfect for what it is. I just wanted something nicer. I have two LP Stds with SD pickups and some inexpensive flat top LP styles like my nice ESP LTD EC50 with chrome LP pups on it and my SX all mahogany set neck P90, flat top.

I have an awesome Epi SG trans cherry '66 Gibson copy SG
with the full pickguard like a strat, chrome nice humbuckers that don't need replacing. Set neck, "Sound of Rock" special edition. It is great.

I just placed my order for a Squire '50's classic vibe strat that plays so beautiful but is 298 out the door. More expensive but more what I want.

That SG special, however, should be really neat.

Duffy