PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for improving the Fret in 2009?

Robert
January 6th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Just seeing what everyone's thoughts are on trying to create something new, interesting or wicked for this year!

The CD project is a cool one, but I don't have enough time to co-ordinate it myself. Maybe someone else can take this on?

The raffle idea was good one, thanks whoever came up with that idea (was it Tot?) so keep your thinking hats on and suggest your ideas. :pancake:

Katastrophe
January 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I'll defer to tOt on this one. The aliens are giving him good ideas, apparently.

:D

Otherwise, just keep 'er going! Not much (if anything) needed for improvement, IMHO.:dude: :rockon: :AOK:

duhvoodooman
January 6th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I'll defer to tOt on this one. The aliens are giving him good ideas, apparently.
Aliens are not giving tOt his ideas. tOt himself is an alien. :eek: ;)

Seriously, I'll give this some thought and see if I can come up with any suggestions. What's already good can almost always be made better....

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Just more fearless posting of our own recorded wanking, especially in collabs. I love it when fretters play together on collab tracks. That's all I come up with off the top of my head.

Oh, and a veinectomy for Robert. ;) Oh, and free beer that flows from a tap on the front of the computer.

I guess one other thing could be follow up on video chatting, and when it stops being so choppy, virtual jamming over some sort of vidconference situation. The technology and bandwidth or whatever may be not quite there, but I bet it will come. A regular chat session in the meantime could be fun, using just our own chat feature. I look forward to when that can develop into webcam vid jam sessions. I find it hard to find anyone to jam with on electrics where i live. The jams seem to be all acoustic. It would be fun to jam some more with youze guys. :AOK:

Katastrophe
January 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Oh, and free beer that flows from a tap on the front of the computer.

Now we're talking!

I take back what I said earlier. You can make TheFret.net better by creating a Robert Renman signature Suhr, and making a limited run available, for free, to all Fretters with a minimum of 1,814 posts.

Whew! I came in just under the wire!:AOK:

Andy
January 6th, 2009, 11:28 AM
keep up the good job in 09.. I like the fret because it's a friendly hangout ..none of the inordinate cussing and immature babblespeak you find on so many other forums.

more jams ,videos,reviews,demos would be great.

Spudman
January 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Something that might be easy to do is to allow members, that donate funds to the forum in 2009, to choose a new color for their bold names.

Whadayathink?

Oh...and the beer thing SVL mentioned would be awesome.:AOK:

Blaze
January 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM
That would be fun to have the thread of the week or the month winner then the next winner is choosen by the week(month) before winner a poll or something.

Just for fun ..

M29
January 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
That M29 guy stop using dumb headings:D I will get better, I promise guys:AOK:

I love the member clips, lets hear more more more! Now that the weather is colder and the windows closed I hope to participate more with clips at (appropriate ear crushing decibels):D Keep em comin all:AOK: That is what attracted me here in the first place, feeling free to put up clips no matter what skill level we are at. Anything to add to this aspect of the forum, jamming together and player interaction. I know this is probably way off but it would be awesome.

M

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Aliens are not giving tOt his ideas. tOt himself is an alien. :eek: ;)

0, if only things were that simple & it was clear where the voices were coming from. ;)

street music
January 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I'll second that request for more member clips, I know there are plenty of stuff on You Tube but it's great to see or listen to our Fretters post of songs.

One other suggestion, how about a Beginners section, so that those who are just getting started can relate to each other and the skilled can help them.

And CB-Shiner , We are still waiting for that next single???????

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
A beginner's section might encourage beginner's to post their thoughts, but many of us completely ignore the labeled sections when reading.

I only think of it as The Fret.

Robert
January 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Ahh, beginner section. Hmm that sounds like purdy good idea to me. What do the rest of ye laddies say? I'll work on that signature guitar...

Different colors for contributing members...hmm, forum software a bit limited there... but other nice perks for contributing members may indeed happen.

Thread of the month, hmmm.... not sure how that would work. Can you expand on that?

M29
January 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I like the beginners section idea.

M29

Blaze
January 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Thread of the month, hmmm.... not sure how that would work. Can you expand on that?

Could be simply the thread that get the most replies in a week ,best of style ..

Jimi75
January 7th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Dude, I still like this place hell of a lot! The only thing I wish would take place more often is COLLABORATIONS. It's nice to jam to a BT, but if we could really put out something together that would be spectacular. Maybe some of us have song structures or old songs that they can offer as "Backings". If you post such a track you should define how many can participate and what exactly is needed, like for example 0:00-0:38 distorted melody solo, 01:20 - 01:58 powerchords with some effect on them....and so on. This might require a little more time and effort, but in the end we have somethin of our own. If you now ask how you will determine the participents, I would say first come first serve. The one posting the BT has also the job to mix the track in the end. Participants have to supply their contribution via box.net or similar in mp3 format free of viruses of course! There should always be the chance to rerecord with another group of people - everyone can take the naked track and re-invite members to record. In this case the one starting the thread has the job to write the instructions and to mix the stuff and post the final product. For such projects no official BTs would be allowed, only self composed stuff.

How 'bout that?

Jipes
January 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I agree with Jimi 75, I use to do lots of collab on our Blues Forum here in france and it's great fun ! Maybe some of us are not only guitar players but can lay down some good bass track or even some keys ?

Another idea would be a kind of challenge like the tune of the month. We choose a song and each member who likes to participate could post his own interpretation ;) This might prompt lots of discussion on the different versions

Kazz
January 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Could be simply the thread that get the most replies in a week ,best of style ..

The problem with that is the high volume of threads that end up going off topic LMAO.....Sorry Strum...ha ha.

I would be all for the beginners forum. I have been wanting to ask someone for a good guide to beginner playing anyway just have not gotten around to it (been too embarrassed to ask :o )

(Something that would help with strumming patterns for acoustic would really help me get over a hump I am at)

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
The problem with that is the high volume of threads that end up going off topic LMAO.....Sorry Strum...ha ha.

I would be all for the beginners forum. I have been wanting to ask someone for a good guide to beginner playing anyway just have not gotten around to it (been too embarrassed to ask :o )

(Something that would help with strumming patterns for acoustic would really help me get over a hump I am at)
Beginner's Forum or not, don't be afraid to ask.

oldguy
January 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Some good ideas people, keep the suggestions coming.:AOK:

just strum
January 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Give some of the Fretters the title of Rockers, that way there is someone to do battle with the Mods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_Rockers

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Give some of the Fretters the title of Rockers, that way there is someone to do battle with the Mods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_Rockers

Sure, Strummy, your wish has been granted!
:pancake:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll have to ponder a bit now... see you in in December. :D

R_of_G
January 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Another idea would be a kind of challenge like the tune of the month. We choose a song and each member who likes to participate could post his own interpretation ;) This might prompt lots of discussion on the different versions

That is a fantastic idea. There are a lot of folks with very different styles and lots of different tonal approaches. It would be quite interesting to hear several different interpretations of the same song to facilitate an analysis of who did what with it and why. Great idea Jipes!:bravo:

just strum
January 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Sure, Strummy, your wish has been granted!
:pancake:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll have to ponder a bit now... see you in in December. :D

I just noticed you actually did it - cool.

player
January 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Most Certainly a Beginners Forum like a Getting started or To begin with type thing but meaning the same thing.run into folks almost daily that would like to play guitar they just do not know how or where to start and many have a PC.other places(sites) have a Getting Started or something like it so that being said The fret has to come up with another angle to it.put your thinking caps on fretters and let the games or suggestions fly :D

thearabianmage
January 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM

:rotflmao:

I like the ideas on a beginner's forum, or maybe just a section which is dedicated to knowledge pertaining to theory and/or technique. And not just limited to beginners, there could also be an intermediate and advanced so that no one feels left out and everyone can learn something.

The idea of collaborations is awesome, I would definitely take part in that.

How cool would it be to have a fat blues track with loads of fretters layin down their chops on it? T'would be most excellent, methinks.

There seem to be a lot of threads with music video posts - how about a dedicated section for this?

In any case, the place is fine as it is. . . :dude:

player
January 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
An idea to kick around for a beginners forum: heading.So you want to play Guitar? under which follows for those who would like to rock but do not know where to begin This is the place to start with subsections for intermediate
and advanced players, collabs,etc.this is just off the top of the old bean LOL

Nice art BTW

Jipes
January 16th, 2009, 03:52 AM
That is a fantastic idea. There are a lot of folks with very different styles and lots of different tonal approaches. It would be quite interesting to hear several different interpretations of the same song to facilitate an analysis of who did what with it and why. Great idea Jipes!:bravo:

Thanks R of G, I wonder what the team thinks of this particular Idea, Robert did you made a list of new possibilities ? Did you made any choices ?

Robert
January 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM
No choices made, still thinking. Tune of the month idea - how would that work? I don't know what I can do as an administrator to help with that.

We already have a technique and theory form, but a beginners forum might work? Although, right now beginners are welcome to ask in any of the existing forums.

player
January 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Robert(The Boss)
We already have a technique and theory form, but a beginners forum might work? Although, right now beginners are welcome to ask in any of the existing forums.
True enough.would it not make those beginners feel more at ease if they had a forum all their own so as not to feel as if they are beginners by themselves?after all we All started someplace did we not. :dude:

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I say send your Suhr on a Fret tour. That way we can really know how cool it is.

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I agree with player that it might help some feel more comfortable if the forum was specifically for beginner issues.

Spudman
January 17th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Just a thought - if we don't make a beginners forum then everyone will be forced to be at a higher level. Maybe that's a good thing.:) Like doing push ups in the rain or something.

player
January 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Just a thought - if we don't make a beginners forum then everyone will be forced to be at a higher level. Maybe that's a good thing.:) Like doing push ups in the rain or something.
Good thought.although experience tells me what is suggested is a learning pace too fast which translates into anything that comes about about fast. dissipates or disappears just as fast. Not good. as most know slow is good especially for new or beginning players.this is just plain good old logic from someone that has been playing a long time. :D

Rocket
January 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Another side of that coin:
Keep in mind that some of those that endure a "push-ups in the rain" form of "forced to a higher level of training" end up sniping old ladies and children from tall buildings... (or similar acts of socio-pathetic aggression.)

There should not be a concrete schedule to a learning process. I think that people learn best, (and more thoroughly,) at their own pace, whatever that may be... some connect very young, some just never do but keep trying.

Everybody should be allowed to be their own individual in their chosen art form. It's an elective!

Robert
January 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Sounds like I'd better add a beginner's forum before we develop some sociopaths here! :eek:

Rocket
January 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Sounds like I'd better add a beginner's forum before we develop some sociopaths here!
Oops... too late!

tot_Ou_tard
January 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Oops... too late!
I f@CKIN& demand a sociopath's forum.

Rocket
January 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I f@CKIN& demand a sociopaths forum.
http://forums.washburn.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8

Gil Janus
January 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hey, members might just go out and pick up some of these guitars (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=gun+guitar&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2) :thwap:

Gil :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
January 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
http://forums.washburn.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8
Those aren't sociopaths, those are loonies. There is a difference.

Now if someone posted a picture of the time Shiner was sniping children & old ladies from the roof of a tall building & backed that up with a photo of Shiner doing push-ups in the rain, then I'd believe you.

player
January 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I f@CKIN& demand a sociopath's forum.
Tot are you admitting you Are certifiable? social or just looney tunes :poke:

Rocket
January 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Now if someone posted a picture of the time Shiner was sniping children & old ladies from the roof of a tall building & backed that up with a photo of Shiner doing push-ups in the rain, then I'd believe you.
Best I got is this one of Shiner multitasking:

http://r.xtarsia.net/roph/img/random/texan.jpg

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Of course, the ever present beer.

tot_Ou_tard
January 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM

http://r.xtarsia.net/roph/img/random/texan.jpg Again not sociopathic.

Disturbing. God Yes!

But sociopathic? Nah, he looks like he would enjoy some company.

player
January 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Okay CB and shiner give it up.why did we have to go to the washburn forum to hear your latest? hope it calmed the young lady down.good tune,nice voice too.cannot see why you do not try the others suggested.challenges are always good.beats getting in a rut any day

luvmyshiner
January 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Now, now, I haven't sniped old ladies and children from a tall building in a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGG time. Mostly now I just pick them off from the front porch . . . while I multitask on my fancy flushin' terlet, drinking a little beer, talkin' on the teleephone and doin' a little brick work.:D

As for push-ups, that's a little to much like exercise thank you very much.

And Player, we posted the song over here too. It's over in the members clips section. And thanks for the kind words.

tot_Ou_tard
January 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Tot are you admitting you Are certifiable? social or just looney tunes :poke:
I had just assumed that it showed.

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Now, now, I haven't sniped old ladies and children from a tall building in a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGG time. Mostly now I just pick them off from the front porch . . . while I multitask on my fancy flushin' terlet, drinking a little beer, talkin' on the teleephone and doin' a little brick work.:D

As for push-ups, that's a little to much like exercise thank you very much.

And Player, we posted the song over here too. It's over in the members clips section. And thanks for the kind words.

That pic explains what you meant when I called the other night and asked if you had indoor plumbing yet and you responed "We're getting there".

Hey, saves money on the cost of an exhaust fan.

luvmyshiner
January 17th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Fess up Strummy, you KNOW you like the tan lines!:rotflmao:

player
January 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I had just assumed that it showed.
Well now Tot if it didn't before It does now :D
Shiner I will have to go over there and check it out Thanks meant ever word.you can bank on that.you must be proud of you childbride,we are

tot_Ou_tard
January 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Well now Tot if it didn't before It does now :D

That's good because my spaceship runs on infinite weirdness & if it didn't show I'd be stuck on your God-forsaken planet & never be able to get home.

Spudman
January 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
We all get to go home.:cool:

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Not so much an improvement, but maybe falling under a public service announcement warning people that this could happen even to the most determined person.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10116

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I've been here about 1.5 years and I just noticed there is a pick-up section.

How about moving it to a sub of the mod section (like Fender/Squier) and calling it "Pups and Pots".

It would seem that when people talk about pick-ups the higher percentage would be related to doing an upcoming mod.

Rocket
January 26th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Suggestion: How about asking members to display their laundry list of gear under a link or under profile notes so it isn't required to scroll through all that tedious repetition every time just to read the meat of the posts.

Robert
January 26th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Rocket, I see your point. What I can do is to limit the amount of characters allowed for the signature. Some sigs are getting way too long - I agree. Like, uh, mine. :)

Jimi75
January 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Suggestion: How about asking members to display their laundry list of gear under a link or under profile notes so it isn't required to scroll through all that tedious repetition every time just to read the meat of the posts.

Very good point Rocket!

Robert
January 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have asked some with long sigs to shorten them down... and they did.

Algonquin
January 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Well, I think it's pretty cool that Fretter's are willing to share what gear they have. As long as it's not one piece of gear per line, I see it as a nice way of sharing.

Tone2TheBone
January 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Well, I think it's pretty cool that Fretter's are willing to share what gear they have. As long as it's not one piece of gear per line, I see it as a nice way of sharing.

I agree...and I see you still have my GE-7 Dave wanna sell it back to me? :D

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I agree...and I see you still have my GE-7 Dave wanna sell it back to me? :D

Yeah, and I'll trade you back your tort PG for your Guv'nor! (plus something to sweeten the pot). ;)

Rocket
January 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I wasn't looking to start a debate, (or even a mandate.)
Robert asked for some suggestions and I tossed in 2-cents. If everyone piles on and takes a dump on suggestions, (especially when asked for,) I'll guess that not many will follow.
It was just a suggestion.

Robert
January 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I agree with Rocket. Thanks for pointing it out too, Rocket. No problem having some gear listed, but some had way too long of a signature, and I guess that's my fault for making it possible... can be annoying when the signature is 20 lines long and the post are 1 or 2 lines long...

But I asked the "guilty" to shorten the signature and the response was positive and the change was made. That's about all I can do at the moment.

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I shortened mine (sig) up some just now as well. All suggestions should be welcome and considered.

Tone2TheBone
January 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM

http://r.xtarsia.net/roph/img/random/texan.jpg

He's the only one I see taking a dump around here. :rotflmao: ;)

I was actually quite serious about getting my old GE-7 pedal back from Algonquin. I saw it in his gear list and I remembered that he had it. That's the cool thing about having gear lists. I can go back and barter with my old customers on stuff I let go. :thwap: Shortening gear lists is certainly a great suggestion however. I compromised long ago and just made the fonts smaller on mine.

oldguy
January 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I wasn't looking to start a debate, (or even a mandate.)
Robert asked for some suggestions and I tossed in 2-cents. If everyone piles on and takes a dump on suggestions, (especially when asked for,) I'll guess that not many will follow.
It was just a suggestion.

It was a good suggestion, Rocket.
My gear list is too long as well. I try to keep it in small print, and update it when necessary. It's nice to see what some of the members have (esp. when we've bought/sold/traded here), but it shouldn't take up excessive space.
It was a good suggestion.

peachhead
January 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Just send me your gear, and I promise not to list it all out in a sig.
Problem resolved, all the way around. :D

thekiwidisciple
January 31st, 2009, 05:53 AM
What do we all think about a new theme for the forums? The current one is not bad, but could be improved greatly. I'm sure Robert has other things to do, though I've done a few of them before (though admittedly for IP Board), so I could definitely have a crack and see if it's liked.

oldguy
January 31st, 2009, 07:16 AM
What do we all think about a new theme for the forums? The current one is not bad, but could be improved greatly. I'm sure Robert has other things to do, though I've done a few of them before (though admittedly for IP Board), so I could definitely have a crack and see if it's liked.

I'm not sure what you mean by "new theme for the forums", but I'm prob'ly gonna think "no".

Spudman
January 31st, 2009, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "new theme for the forums", but I'm prob'ly gonna think "no".

I'd vote no as well. These colors are very easy on the eyes.

just strum
January 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
I'd vote no as well. These colors are very easy on the eyes.

Ditto.

Oh, and I like what has been done to the place during my short absence.

thekiwidisciple
January 31st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Fair enough then. :rotflmao:

Robert
February 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I have posted some backing tracks lately, and so how do we get the "action" on these things that many of seem to want? Not many jam sessions happening lately here. Feel free to post more and better tracks than mine! :pancake:

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I have designs on participating and recording on one, but time has been an issue this season. Stay tuned, and I will try and get something done, sometime. Lately, I have not been able to do much more than mess around with stuff I already know or is assigned in my lessons. The jams sure are fun when you can get them going.

tot_Ou_tard
February 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
We all get to go home.:cool:

Yes, but my home is just a dumpy-old planet somewhere. Your's is through the the black hole at the heart of the Milky Way into eternity.

Your travel requires Prognostication.