PDA

View Full Version : Video- Super Champ XD & Versatare

oldguy
January 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I did a webcam vid w/ the Super Champ XD and WCS Versatare to a backing track this afternoon. I tried to upload the BT to Box.net but it's over 25mb (wav) and they want $2/mo to upgrade........no way! lol.......if I have an extra $24 a yr. I'll send it to Robert to keep this place going. I'll find another way to get it posted if anyone wants to jam or practice to it.
Anyway, here's the video. I tried to keep it relevent to topics posted here lately........ scales, chords, small amphs for home use, etc. I know there's some clams in it,:thwap: feel free to comment/critique/suggest whatever.
As Blazes says... "sounds better with headphones"...........
(I put on a long sleeved shirt to hide my bibs and small veins........)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

kmhbdDP3dak&feature=channel_page

markb
January 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Cool colour choice on that strat ;) :AOK:

street music
January 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Oldguy, That was real cool. It has that country beat going but carries the blues feel to much of it. I'm jealous that I can't play that well as of yet but I will keep trying. GOOD JOB!

M29
January 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Oh man oldguy that is cookin!! Rock on, I liked that. Lots of good stuff going on, nice work around that neck!! Nice recording with the webcam, the amp sounds good.

Shoot we like veins...more veins:rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Great jump-blues type feel there geez'. I love that stuff. What voicing did you use on the XD?

I didn't know what a Versatare is (I thought it might be a pedal) until I googled WCS Versatare.

There were exactly 3 hits.

Number 1) Your youtube video above.

Number 2) A Wilburn Custom Shop link.

Number 3) This Fret thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9752 where you mention that WCS is an acronym for Wilburn Custom Shop.

& now number 4 will probably be this thread where you have your vid & I mention links 1-3).

;)

Robert
January 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Man, I musta missed you getting that geetar. What is that thang?

Ok, so which one of those licks did you steal from me (my lawyer needs to know which ones in order for the lawsuit to be solid ... :D )?

Great stuff, I dug that like a dog digs for his bone! :master:

oldguy
January 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I posted this right after I joined, but I guess it got overlooked or somethin'.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=788

The licks? Around :36...... bending w/ vibrato
And around 1:46...... the horn player's lick...Coltrane? I forget now...lol
Thanks, Robert, I've learned alot @ Dolphinstreet and here, and I appreciate the lessons!:AOK:

Lev
January 7th, 2009, 04:38 AM
really great stuff, if there was a prize for most improved player since joining thefret then OG wins hands down! Actually that might be an idea for 2009, theFret.net awards.

Andy
January 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
good stuff , gotta love that humbucker tone!

oldguy
January 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Great jump-blues type feel there geez'. I love that stuff. What voicing did you use on the XD?

I didn't know what a Versatare is (I thought it might be a pedal) until I googled WCS Versatare.

There were exactly 3 hits.

Number 1) Your youtube video above.

Number 2) A Wilburn Custom Shop link.

Number 3) This Fret thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9752 where you mention that WCS is an acronym for Wilburn Custom Shop.

& now number 4 will probably be this thread where you have your vid & I mention links 1-3).

;)

Tot,
No voicing on the amp, that's the clean (vol 1) channel.
The Versatare is a nice guitar. I like the 5 way switching w/ the two HB's/split single coil. Grover tuners and Graphtec saddles, good all around hardware.

SuperSwede
January 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Wow, nice vid Oldguy!

Good thing to hide those undersized veins :D

Jimi75
January 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Very cool OG! That was swinging! I like your playing very much!

jasongins
January 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Awesome! But now I need a double humbucker strat:thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
January 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Tot,
No voicing on the amp, that's the clean (vol 1) channel.
The Versatare is a nice guitar. I like the 5 way switching w/ the two HB's/split single coil. Grover tuners and Graphtec saddles, good all around hardware.
Do you use the voice channel often, or do you usually use the all-tube channel?

tjcurtin1
January 7th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Great groove, OG! Fun to listen to as we follow you around the neck and all the varying ideas.

Gil Janus
January 8th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Very very nice. :D

Some really nice playing there - I loved the tone that you get with that guitar - and the amp does it's part - not getting in the way and allowing your playing to shine :beer: :dude:

Once again, some real nice music there. :master:

Thank you very much :bravo: :AOK:

Gil :cool:

Now I just need to win the raffle and to really learn to play that well :thwap:

just strum
January 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Very, very cool clip OG.

I don't know how I missed it. I can't play like that yet, but I see what you guys are referring to.

practice, practice, practice.

markb
January 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Do you use the voice channel often, or do you usually use the all-tube channel?

The Super Champ XD has an SS preamp and tube power amp. Other examples from history of this setup would be Peavey Classic VT series, Fender Champ 25 and Leo's Music Man amps. All pretty good in the clean tone department. You can think of the non-DSP channel as, say, a Frontman series with a tube power amp. Ought to sound good as the Frontman 25 is a pretty cool little ss amp with quite a following among jazz players.

Fender have just released a 40 watt version of the XD amps in head or combo form.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?section=amplifiers&cat=new

oldguy
January 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks, Mark, that sounds about right.....

tot, I do use the preset side on the amp also, but I don't think it would be something I'd use for gigs........like all modelers I've used, it doesn't have the sound for live use, but it is a great little practice amp, and plugged into the 2x12 Avatar cab w/ the Celestions, it gets some serious volume.

ted s
January 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM
smokin' cool playing Glenn.... :AOK:
Did you rehearse that or pull it out of your overalls ?

tot_Ou_tard
January 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
The Super Champ XD has an SS preamp and tube power amp. Other examples from history of this setup would be Peavey Classic VT series, Fender Champ 25 and Leo's Music Man amps. All pretty good in the clean tone department. You can think of the non-DSP channel as, say, a Frontman series with a tube power amp. Ought to sound good as the Frontman 25 is a pretty cool little ss amp with quite a following among jazz players.

Fender have just released a 40 watt version of the XD amps in head or combo form.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?section=amplifiers&cat=new

O, I thought channel one had a tube preamph. Thanks for the correction Mark!

markb
January 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
O, I thought channel one had a tube preamph. Thanks for the correction Mark!

It's a push-pull power stage. That 12AX7 is the phase inverter unless I'm very much mistaken. The larger VM Deluxe and Bandmaster have 2 12AX7s. I'd think one is used in the preamp and the other as phase inverter in those amps.

peachhead
January 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM
That is a happenin' clip. Loved it! Great work! :bravo:

oldguy
January 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
smokin' cool playing Glenn.... :AOK:
Did you rehearse that or pull it out of your overalls ?

Thanks, Ted
I jammed to the BT for an hour or better before I recorded.
I needed to put the licks I was practicing in the key of C and work on them.
I still choke when the camera rolls........it's easier to play in front of people than record myself, I've no idea why....maybe 'cause if I mess up live it's over, recorded it's permanent, or something.:thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
January 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I jammed to the BT for an hour or better before I recorded.

Yeah, I definitely get better after playing for an hour or so. Something changes from stiffness & trying to grooving & enjoying. I always think of Keith Richards who always got better the more he played.

You sounded great 'Geez! :AOK:

Justaguyin_nc
January 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
SHWing it oldguy!

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Really enjoyed it!

Nice geetar also!

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Geez, I was so wrapped up in the raffle stuff last week that I just flat missed this post, OG. NICE JOB!!! That sounded great. Nice clean, Fendery tones. Man, I can't go 2 minutes without sounding repetitious and you just percolated right along as nice as you please for over 5. I'm impressed! :AOK: :bravo: :beer:

aeolian
January 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I love your playing! It flows and is melodic and all substance but not just flash. Just pull on those overalls and keep plucking away, your audience is waiting.

Childbride
January 16th, 2009, 09:59 PM
OG, i am working on the very first song i want to post of me playing, with a second right behind.

i very humbly work every night on playing my scales and building my ability with trills starting tomorrow.

i made the mistake of spending 13 mos with a teacher who really didn't advance me.

i want to play like you. :) i start tomorrow. :master:

natethegreat424
January 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
As i continue to explore this forum I am impressed more and more. You video is awesome man. What you played is exactly what I want to be able to do. You never seem like you're moving too fast for yourself and you always maintain control. Throwing in some nice licks and just an awesome song with a great feel to it. I can imagine getting to your level must be so cool, you could just sit down with a backing track like that and play for hours. Great stuff man. I can't wait to get there!

oldguy
January 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks again, everyone, I truly appreciate the nice comments.
CB and nate,I thank you both, I think you are hungry,and you will study hard and improve fast, IMO.........most of what I played on this backer is pentatonic blues licks, some chord work, bass line, and blues turnarounds.
And a lot of it can be found on Robert's Dolphinstreet lessons........not all of it mind you, but quite a bit.....well worth delving into when time allows!:)

Vihar
January 27th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Awesome! But now I need a double humbucker strat:thwap:

+1

Tasty playing, and I love that you get quite a good amount of twang outta those buckers!

FrankAxtell
January 27th, 2009, 07:40 AM
That was some nice pickin' with cool musical ideas...it was really swingin'. Nice tone. Good work my friend.:AOK: