PDA

View Full Version : Warmoth Telecaster Project

thekiwidisciple
January 7th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hi all,

Tomorrow, following a quote, I'm going to be ordering a neck and custom body from Warmoth. Here are the specifications I've given to Spike at Warmoth:

Body:

Unfinished Tele Body (Swamp Ash)
Tummy & Forearm Cuts
Stratocaster Bridge Routing
Strat Pickup Routing

Neck:

Total Vintage Tele Neck
Fat Back Contour
1pc Maple
Gotoh Vintage Tuners
Bone Nut

I'll post pics of the construction, some of which will be done by a professional. I'll be putting BL Keystone pups in it. The reason the body will be unfinished is because I'll be burning a design into the front of it.

Something I'd like to ask one of you who has an idea about these things, would an oil be needed after the burning? What problems could arise from not using an oil?

Here's a picture of what I hope it will turn out like (with a different design):

http://davekilminster.com/Images/Gear/EG_01.gif

Cheers!:beer:

oldguy
January 7th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Cool looking guitar. What's the design on yours look like?
Oh, yes, you need oil, or some other type finish, once the bodie's done, to seal out moisture. I've done one in oil, a cheap beater, but so far, no ill effects from the oil. There are actually several oil options, depending on your needs once the burn is done. The problem with not sealing wood is it draws moisture and swells in wet/humid weather and dries out and shrinks in dry weather. Most folks would go with nitro or poly, but oil is an option. It's more of a satin sheen than a shiny finish, tho.
Please stop by the FretPlayers section and introduce yourself, maybe mention where you're from, what gear you have, that sort of thing.........so you can get a proper welcome to this place.
And keep us updated on that tele build........it looks like a one-of-a-kind project, good luck on it!:D

thekiwidisciple
January 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Yep, I want a satin finish, and I want to steer as far away as possible from a 'shine', but at the same time I don't want to skimp on a proper seal. Thanks for the help.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted.

The guitar and design is for my Nana, who passed away in April '05. She's the only other person in my family remotely musical, and I always remember her being musical so I feel a real connection with her when I'm playing guitar. I haven't finished the design yet. So the guitar is going to be something very personal to me, and I want to have as much to do with its assembly as possible.

oldguy
January 7th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Yep, I want a satin finish, and I want to steer as far away as possible from a 'shine', but at the same time I don't want to skimp on a proper seal...

I did a tung oil neck finish on a danish oil body, and it's held up fine.
I used several coats and did lots of buffing between each, and gave each coat lots of time to dry before buffing. I think the body resonates better after stripping the poly off also. The oil lets the wood move, IMO.

thekiwidisciple
January 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I've heard of those oils - how did the tung oil go on the body? I've been trying to decide whether just to pay Warmoth to do a Satin finish on the neck they're making for me. Will transit to Australia be long enough for any warping to start? Or should I just put an oil on it myself - again, I want to steer clear of a 'shine'. Decisions, decisions...:rotflmao:

oldguy
January 7th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I don't think warping in transit would happen unless the neck got wet, as in soaked........think of a dry board that gets shipped to you.....if it stays dry it shouldn't warp. These questions need to be asked of Warmoth, however, if it will impact the warranty on the neck.....and if they will do the finish you want at a reasonable price, it may be the best option to have it done by them.

thekiwidisciple
January 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM
As far as I am aware, oiling the neck (with reasonable oils) does not invalidate the warranty. Having said that, I could be wrong.

They do, however, charge $75 USD to do the cheapest one (satin oil), it would cost nowhere near this to do it myself. Plus, my uncle is quite experienced in painting/staining so I guess it shouldn't be too hard because I can get some tips from him and do some reading up...:eek:

oldguy
January 7th, 2009, 07:34 AM
$75.........wow.
IIRC I just wiped the tung oil on the back of the neck with an old soft cotton T-shirt, let each coat dry, and buffed it like crazy between coats. I sanded and steel wooled the back of the neck first, it was beat up pretty bad.
I would definitely consult your uncle, and anyone else for that matter, before launching into this project. You are building something special.
I was just refinishing an old beater. Here's the thread if you want to have a look.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1441

Edit.......
Give some of the others here a chance to give their input........they are much more knowledgeable than I about refin. work.

thekiwidisciple
January 7th, 2009, 07:40 AM
That guitar looks very nice, however I don't want to make it that dark. In fact I don't really want to go much darker than the guitar I showed above.

I'll definitely do some reading up, and I'm sure I'll just end up finishing the neck myself, rather than paying them $75USD just to 'dip the neck in oil'.

oldguy
January 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM
That was a walnut stain/danish oil........the body was a yellow pine.
Oils come in all types of tints, and all types of oils.........lots of options.

thekiwidisciple
January 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Ah yes. Of course, I've got some homework to do!!

Thanks for your help, oldguy.

Bloozcat
January 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm kind of curious. Why a Tele body when you've specified all the features found on a Strat body?

An oil finish on the neck does void Warmoth's warranty. It's stated on their website. They require a hard finish.

There's a product here in the States called Tru-Oil by a company named Birchwood Casey. It's a polymerized oil finish that's intended for gun stocks, so it dries to a fairly hard finish. The only caveat is that Tru-Oil contains petro-chemical driers in it. So called "real" polymerized finishes are dried using heat, not chemicals. Some say it makes a difference, but I've never found any drawbacks with a Tru-Oil finish...on guitar neck or gun stocks. It does have a tendency to tint the neck ever so slightly if applied heavily (many coats), but not to the point that anyone would notice. Just slightly tinted in appearance from bare, white maple. It comes in both gloss and satin finishes, wipe on liquid or aerosol spray.

Another product that works really well on necks is Min-Wax Wiping Poly. It's just as stated in the name, a thin polyurethane finish that you wipe on with a cloth. It's easy to apply, dries fast, and it's also available in gloss or satin. It does qualify as a hard finish to satisfy Warmoth's warranty as well.

sumitomo
January 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
That's a cool project Kiwi,I have a warmoth tele and I like it alot.I like the body setup on the one your building.My neck has a satin finish and it is 15yrs old and still as good as new,but my frets are,well groovy man! I wish I would has got stainless ones!But thats a real cool build keep us posted.Sumi:D

thekiwidisciple
January 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'm kind of curious. Why a Tele body when you've specified all the features found on a Strat body?

An oil finish on the neck does void Warmoth's warranty. It's stated on their website. They require a hard finish.

There's a product here in the States called Tru-Oil by a company named Birchwood Casey. It's a polymerized oil finish that's intended for gun stocks, so it dries to a fairly hard finish. The only caveat is that Tru-Oil contains petro-chemical driers in it. So called "real" polymerized finishes are dried using heat, not chemicals. Some say it makes a difference, but I've never found any drawbacks with a Tru-Oil finish...on guitar neck or gun stocks. It does have a tendency to tint the neck ever so slightly if applied heavily (many coats), but not to the point that anyone would notice. Just slightly tinted in appearance from bare, white maple. It comes in both gloss and satin finishes, wipe on liquid or aerosol spray.

Another product that works really well on necks is Min-Wax Wiping Poly. It's just as stated in the name, a thin polyurethane finish that you wipe on with a cloth. It's easy to apply, dries fast, and it's also available in gloss or satin. It does qualify as a hard finish to satisfy Warmoth's warranty as well.

As weird as it might sound, there is a reason behind the tele body. Strat bodies just don't do it for me, I prefer the look, the feel and the sound of Tele bodies.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at those products you've suggested, as I don't want to void the warranty!

sumitomo
January 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hey Kiwi,I meant to ask you do you know or have played the hollow bodied warmoth tele(the chambered body)?Sumi

thekiwidisciple
January 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
No, I've never played one, but I'd like to.

Bloozcat
January 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM
As weird as it might sound, there is a reason behind the tele body. Strat bodies just don't do it for me, I prefer the look, the feel and the sound of Tele bodies.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at those products you've suggested, as I don't want to void the warranty!

That's as good a reason as any! That's why you build instead of buying...to get exactly what you want...:AOK:

thekiwidisciple
January 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
That's it. I was looking at the JV strat for a while, but I've always been good at building things so I thought...why not?!?!

thekiwidisciple
January 8th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Awesome, Spike from Warmoth processed the order this morning! Now just an 8-10 week wait! :whatever: