PDA

View Full Version : New “Leeds Fuzz” Kit Now Available at BYOC!

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2009, 08:52 AM
The new “Leeds Fuzz” kit is now available at Buildyourownclone.com. And at $70, it’s one of their most inexpensive kits. Here’s the link:

BYOC Leeds Fuzz Kit (http://buildyourownclone.com/leeds.html)

Some of you may remember that I was a “beta builder” for this kit, as chronicled HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8996). This circuit is a clone of the Univox Super Fuzz of the late ‘60s/early ‘70s. It’s most famous proponent was Pete Townshend of The Who, and it’s an integral part of his sound on the classic Live at Leeds album, hence the kit’s name. The only significant change made on the commercial release vs. the beta version I built is that Keith went with NOS Panasonic 2SC828 transistors, which were used in the original Univox pedals. This is a medium gain NPN silicon transistor, rather than the high gain 2N5088’s that were in the beta kit. That’s a change for the better, because with six of them in the circuit, the added gain of the 5088’s really stacks up. My beta pedal sounds good, but is a little too hot; I’ll probably get a set of the 2SC828’s at some point and switch mine over.

The other nice thing about this kit is that it uses Keith's new "build-friendly" layout that makes the assembly easier, and also places the I/O and adapter jacks at the top.

Anyway, just thought I’d let everybody know that the kit went on sale yesterday, and should be a welcome addition to any fuzz-lovers collection. And if you’re not into DIY pedal making but want one, shoot me a PM and I’ll happily quote you the pricing for a fully assembled pedal, with or without painting & decaling....

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM
An additional bit of BYOC-related news:

Keith is also very close to releasing his updated Tube Screamer TS-808 clone, called the Overdrive II. Unfortunately, he's run into some part sourcing delays that will push the release of this new kit back from the planned Jan. 14 date into February. Too bad, because this is one of BYOC's most popular kits, and the original version is now sold out/unavailable. There are a lot of people looking forward to this freshening of the design, which will reportedly add a lot more flexibility for the builder to incorporate the more popular TS mods. I'm hoping this new version will be an improved platform for my ZYS "super Screamer" pedal and allow me to drop the price by reducing the number of additional parts and the very long build time that are required by the old Overdrive kit's limitations. I haven't seen the new kit's layout yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I'd be happy to help anyone here scratch their signal distortion itch with a "Mega-Muff" Large Beaver fuzz or "Rabid Rodent" Mouse distortion pedal. These are modified clones of the classic EH Big Muff Pi fuzz and ProCo Rat distortion pedals, respectively. Both give you the vintage tones of their forebears plus much, much more due to the added features from BYOC and yours truly....