PDA

View Full Version : Cool sight! look now (9:42A mtn time)

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Check out this web cam right now if you have a sec:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/oldfaithfulcam.htm

The bison hanging out by Old Faithful under that big sky gives a nice perspective I think.

Robert
January 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
The Bison guys don't seem to care about the geyser... :D

Algonquin
January 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Cool! I just saw some Skinny Skiers glide right by them, and they didn't seem to mind how close they were. I'd have kept a bit more distance from them.

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Nice web cam, yes? I keep it, and another of Puget Sound/HoodCanal and the Olympics on tabs so I can check them out when I need to during the day. Yeah, the bison and the geysers have coexisted there a long time Robert. They walk all around the geysers, though we humans stay on the boardwalks as we cannot sense the thin spots in the earth like they seem to be able to do. Tales of that era from Clark's travels after he and Lewis explored the continent are among the earliest written records of the area. The bison hang out in the Old Faithful geyser basin, which extends quite a ways from the view you are seeing, but are not usually hanging out right in front of Old Faithful next to the board walk from Old Faithful Inn.

David, I would not get so close either. In fact, they advise against it when you are there. We go there every year or so, typically in spring when the bison babies are out, and the crowds are not yet there.

aeolian
January 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM
SVL, what would be a good time of year to visit Yellowstone when driving is manageable and the tourist horde hasn't descended yet?

I was there one time in the early 1970s and have started thinking that it would be a great place to take my family there soon.

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Spring (say May coming around Mother's day) is when we go. There are still people, but it is nothing like July. I have also thought Fall, in October, would be a good time. A lot of ski touring folks love winter, and there are no cars. Some vehicle tours are available too. I have not done that, but it could be fun. May is more comfortable temperature wise I bet.

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Shoot, looks like they just left the area. (10:18a mtn.). Well, check back once in a while. Still a beautiful sight, and you may see it erupting, or more animals moving through.