PDA

View Full Version : When GAS Attacks

marnold
January 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
OK, so here I was feeling relatively GAS-free. I walked into a shop in Green Bay that is a Jackson and Crate dealer to see if they had a Jackson DK2M (they did) and any Blackheart amphs (they didn't). I tried the DK2M which was pretty nice, except that the previous moron who tried to use it used the micro tuners to put it into drop-D.

What struck me was that they had a Jackson Randy Rhodes in ivory with black pin-stripes, gold hardware, and a tune-o-matic bridge, just like this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Jackson-Randy-Rhoads-RR3-SPECIAL-Guitar-IVORY_W0QQitemZ390019121527QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphot ohosting). I expected it to be > $1K, but I was wrong. It was $629. Apparently it is a limited-run Japanese-made RR3. Jackson only made 100 of them for their little mom-and-pop stores--i.e. no Guitar Centers.

The body is alder. The only difference from the RR3 series is that it has Duncan Designed Invader pickups instead of the JB/Jazz combo. Naturally, I had to play it. It needed a bit of a setup and a set of 10s, but beyond that it was pretty sweet. I did my best lame Randy Rhoads imitation as I barfed my way through Crazy Train. As I left, I said I wasn't sure if I was glad that I saw that or not.

All's I know is that if I win the raffle, one of my guitars might be in real danger of being mine no longer and put towards that one. I've a feeling that at that price it won't last too long.

Katastrophe
January 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Man, I love Invaders for screamin' broooootahl metal solos. I've got one on my Ibanez, and it is, hands down, my favorite for aggressive music.

Just don't try any cleans on it. At least to me, it'll distort any signal it comes across, and won't always be pleasant.

Those Rhoads Vs are cool. I've never played one, though. GAS is sneaky, no?

marnold
January 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Well, they aren't "real" Ducans. They are Duncan Designed. These look like and are evidently cheaper Invader copies. It was hard to tell since it's not my amph that I played through but I thought I liked 'em better than the JB/Jazz on the DK2M. Might have been a Fig Newton of my imagination though.

Cottonwood King
January 9th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Was it guitar cellar at all? My hometown is actually Kewaunee, which is right around GB. I only know of a few stores in GB, like Guitar cellar, Heid's, and Henri's. Anyway, sounds like a great axe. Esp. with the whole black w/ pin stripes going on.

Jimi75
January 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Man I love the RR guitars. I once had one and sold it - bitter experience.

marnold
January 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Was it guitar cellar at all? My hometown is actually Kewaunee, which is right around GB. I only know of a few stores in GB, like Guitar cellar, Heid's, and Henri's. Anyway, sounds like a great axe. Esp. with the whole black w/ pin stripes going on.
Madhouse Music, actually, by the stadium. I bought my SD Screamin' Demon from them. They actually had some Dunlop Jazz III XLs (the stiffo ones) in stock but I went to my car to find that I didn't even have $0.45 on me.

Cottonwood King
January 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Oh yea, madhouse! I definitely remember that one, I actually sold an amp head there on consignment with them. That's cool, they have some pretty good stuff there, and their employees have always treated me well. My dad is crazy about that place.

Spudman
January 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Madhouse Music, actually, by the stadium. I bought my SD Screamin' Demon from them. They actually had some Dunlop Jazz III XLs (the stiffo ones) in stock but I went to my car to find that I didn't even have $0.45 on me.

And that my friends is the very best way to save money when 'GAS attacks.'

marnold
January 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
And that my friends is the very best way to save money when 'GAS attacks.'
Heh. The owner smiled and said, "Well, if you buy the guitar I'll throw in some picks!" His wife quickly replied, "Yeah, try explaining THAT one to your wife."