PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Carpets

Jimi75
January 9th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Have you guys also figured out that most of the famous guys carry any kind of oriental carpet with them ( not the flying ones though :rotflmao:). They put their stuff on it and most of the time the other cats in the band have their own carpet, too. For the drummer it seems logic, the carpet prevents his drum from sliding while playing. For the other guys I could imagine that the carpet gives them some kind of their own territory. When playing on such huge stages, a carpet might give them a little "home" feeling ;-)

What do you think could be the reason for bringing varpets with them to the bazar, eeeehhhhhhmmmmmm stage....

J75 (internet acronym for crazy guitar playing dude from Europe).

Gil Janus
January 9th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I think part of it was the comfort for the feet - no standing on concrete or old wooden stages full of splinters for hours at a time :thwap:

I know my carpet makes my feet happy - and we all know that happy feet are the way to go :bravo:

Gil :cool:

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
that is what I would guess. Some cushioning. I have worked on my feet for shifts in a commercial kitchen and can see how it would help.

duhvoodooman
January 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Ditto. Much easier on the legs & back....

Spudman
January 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Cushion and a sense of familiarity in an ever changing workplace. I like it because it grounds me onto something familiar no matter what dive I'm dealing with. I feel more in control in my house and the carpet helps me feel at home. It also helps isolate the microphones to get rid of stage noise.

marnold
January 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM
It's all about the static electricity, baby.

Andy
January 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM
comfort and a place to run cords under, makes the zone neat and tidy

araT
January 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
My parents collect oriental carpets, I love them & can totally relate to what you're all saying. I have a few in my rooms & I usually take one into a studio if I'll be there more than a day or two.

Spudman
January 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM
"There's no place like home" (clicking my ruby slippers). :greenguitar:

t_ross33
January 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Mic stands have a way of resonating certain frequencies off the stage floor itself, a carpet helps dampen vibrations and isolate the microphone (oops, Spuds already covered this... foiled again)

Plus they look cool. I don't have one, so I'm not cool. Yet. ;)

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Yep, all of what they said. This came up once or twice before, but more as an OT of a different subject thread.

I think the first duty of the rug is foot and back comfort. The fact that it is oriental rugs is more of a trend, but for what ever reason oriental rugs transmit some sort of comfort and warmth (maybe it's a "reminds me of grandma's house - hey, even rockers have a soft side).

Screaming Dave
January 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Steve Howe from Yes is renowned for having his own carpet on stage. I read an interview with him, and he reckoned he just did it to have his own space.