PDA

View Full Version : NSCD! (New Speaker Cabinet Day!)

Brian Krashpad
January 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Well, my daughter is learning bass, so I figured I'd find her some cheapie rig to practice through, so she could actually hear herself. Craigslist came through with an old Peavey PA cab that's been reloaded with 2 Carvin bass 10-inch speakers (anyone have any experience with Carvin 10" bass speakers?). Seller's photo:

http://images.craigslist.org/3pf3oe3lf1f21g3144911de0a8b4b59c519a5.jpg

Found a pic on the net of what it looks like with the grille on:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8271/peavey2x10pa2ba1.jpg

Here's a pic of the same type cab upright, with the grille on and off:

http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i22/04/k/000/7d/0d/b099_20.JPG

For the time being I'll let her use my spare bass head, an old 70's Woodson. It's waaaaay more power than she needs (250 W ss), but I don't have anything with less that I'm not using for bands. There's another Craigslist deal for an old solid state PA head (don't know its power output yet) for $50 that I might get so she has a "dedicated rig" she can keep without (too much) fear of me raiding for shows or whatnot.

Then again, I'm considering experimenting with combining that 2x10 with my 1x15 as a live rig, so it's possible I could get some use out of it too. Does anybody here run a 1x15 + 2x10 bass rig? At any rate, if her brother comes along with guitar, he can also use it, so it'll be good to have the 2x10 around Casa Krashpad for multiple uses.

Oh, and the 2x10 was a whopping $50.

ZMAN
January 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I can jump in on this thread also. I picked up my Avatar 2/12 guitar cab today.
I put an add in a local Craigslist type deal called Kijiji. I had a guy reply and he said he got 3 cabs for Christmas and would sell me one for 400 Can. the only problem was it hadn't beem shipped in from the manufacturer yet. These are 650 Canadian from Steamco music. He also got the Eminence Legend v1216 upgrade on the cab. I got a brand new in the box cab for a little more than half price. I can't believe how nice it sounds and the speaker aren't even broken in. I tried it with my Marshall DSL 401 and my 65 Deluxe and they sound really nice. The legends are voiced like the V30s but they are made in the USA.
My resolution is to buy only US or Canadian made items not matter what they cost.

Brian Krashpad
January 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I can jump in on this thread also. I picked up my Avatar 2/12 guitar cab today.
I put an add in a local Craigslist type deal called Kijiji. I had a guy reply and he said he got 3 cabs for Christmas and would sell me one for 400 Can. the only problem was it hadn't beem shipped in from the manufacturer yet. These are 650 Canadian from Steamco music. He also got the Eminence Legend v1216 upgrade on the cab. I got a brand new in the box cab for a little more than half price. I can't believe how nice it sounds and the speaker aren't even broken in. I tried it with my Marshall DSL 401 and my 65 Deluxe and they sound really nice. The legends are voiced like the V30s but they are made in the USA.
My resolution is to buy only US or Canadian made items not matter what they cost.

Sounds like a great deal! According to what a couple people have told me, Carvin speakers are OEM Eminence. Those old Peavey silverstrip cabs are admittedly ugly as sin, but Carvin is a decent enough brand name, sound comes out, and Peavey stuff in general is pretty bulletproof. So it met all my requirements, including the "cheap b*stard" factor.

mrmudcat
January 10th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Sounds like a great deal! According to what a couple people have told me, Carvin speakers are OEM Eminence. Those old Peavey silverstrip cabs are admittedly ugly as sin, but Carvin is a decent enough brand name, sound comes out, and Peavey stuff in general is pretty bulletproof. So it met all my requirements, including the "cheap b*stard" factor.

Brian I think most of the older carvin speakers were built by Eminence.I have heard one other name as having built some carvins but im not sure.I have a 4x12 cab with all stock carvins from the 80's and one 4x12 with the same year celestions.Both cabs are freaking sweet.:AOK:

ZMAN
January 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
The funny thing was I had just about given up trying to find a 2/12 cab and I had emailed the Avatar dealer about this exact cab. I was going to order it with the Celestions until I found out they were MIC now.
Those Peaveys will do a great job for you, and if the price is right that is cool.
I was watching a movie last night Black Snake Moan and Samuel L Jackson plays his red 335 through a peavey amp with a slide. It sounds pretty cool low down blues. I couldn't make out what type of amp but the Peavey logo stood out pretty well.

mrmudcat
January 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM
The funny thing was I had just about given up trying to find a 2/12 cab and I had emailed the Avatar dealer about this exact cab. I was going to order it with the Celestions until I found out they were MIC now.
Those Peaveys will do a great job for you, and if the price is right that is cool.
I was watching a movie last night Black Snake Moan and Samuel L Jackson plays his red 335 through a peavey amp with a slide. It sounds pretty cool low down blues. I couldn't make out what type of amp but the Peavey logo stood out pretty well.

Ear candy makes some sweet cabs also!!! Zman the heritage series green backs(g12m) and the 30 watt(g12h) and g12-65 are still England . So are the gold and blue alnicos!! The difference in the greenbacks from firsthand(my ears) the new ones(china) are voiced a lil towards the higher raspier side(think vin30). This might change after proper break in :poke:

ZMAN
January 10th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Yea Muddy I would have preferred the green backs or the vintage 30s. But I am pleasantly surprised by the Legends. Not to say that down the road a pair of English greenbacks won't find their way into the mix.
The main issue for us Cannucks is that we need to find a Canadian distributor.
That way we can save on the exchange, duty and various taxes. They can almost double the price of an item I don't know why but a landed price is always cheaper than buying the US item and having it shipped. OR we have a US address and have it shipped there. I have one in Maine and I have used it a couple of times.
I simply head down for a visit and bring them back.
This deal worked out big time for me.