PDA

View Full Version : Worrisome Disorder...

Bloozcat
January 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm afraid I've got some terrible news...

I'm suffering from a rare, disorder that is known only to those born with the rare musicnut gene. Although not yet an officially recognized disorder by the American Medical Association, it is none-the-less a very real threat to those genetically pre-disposed to the illness. It is far more hideous than a simple virus like GAS...

I've got Type II Spud Syndrome, or Spuds for short....

It's the cumulative effect of buying too many guitars. It lies dormant in one's system until an event (er...or a purchase) creates an intollerable burden on the body's already taxed endocrine system which triggers an immunodeficiency reaction in the body. This results in a breakdown in that area of the central nervous system that regulates impulsive actions, like the afore mentioned guitar buying ( I have no friggin' idea what the h*ll I just said :rotflmao: ) It's a sad and debilitating disorder.

The purchase that put me over the edge...
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1261.html

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
That's gonna be okay, as long as you come here and get Fret therapy.

It looks like a PRS clone? What is it? Are they allowed to rip off those designs or do you think they pay some licence for using that design?

oldguy
January 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Sweet one blooz! :AOK: :D Is that the Agile doublecut whatever they call it?
I bet it's real abalone inlays and an ebony fretboard too, huh?
Is that a real quilted maple top? How thick?
Have you got it yet, or did you just order it? Are you gonna post pics when you get it, so we can see the real deal, not just Kurt's ad photo? Huh?Huh? Are ya? (man I love those Agiles)

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up......... NICEY NICE........
Real abalone, ebony fretboard, 3/4" flame maple top (not quilted, my bad), and pretty decent hardware and electronics, AND a hardshell case, for 4 bills?
Give yourself a big pat on the back bloozcat, ya done good.:D :D :D

Bloozcat
January 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Robert,

It's close to an LP double cut, but with the slight body contour changes and the altered headstock, it's different enough to keep Gibson's lawyers on their leashes. I have one of the 2500's with P-90's now, but it doesn't have the
features this one does.

oldguy'

Yep, the inlays are abalone. The body is solid mahogany and the top is a full 3/4" in flame maple...all the way through. It also has a 1-piece mahogany neck as well, so it has all the essential features of a Les Paul. Comes with Alnico magnet humbuckers, Grover tuners, large Alpha pots and a decent (import) toggle switch (no cheap box switch). Most of the Agiles have a maple neck, or a thin laminate maple top, and or cheap pots/switch. But, this one is loaded.

The cool thing is that it's been on Rondo's sight for a couple of months for $419.99. Now it's listed for $399.99 and it comes with a free hard shell case. So, with shipping it comes to $417.24...cheaper than the guitar alone was yesterday.

I just ordered it an hour ago, so it won't arrive until next week some time. The web site says that the current lot of these guitars have a more flamed top than the quilted top shown, but that's not a big deal to me. I like flamed maple.

oldguy
January 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Yep, I went & looked her up........ that is one whale of a bargain, and I know your gonna love that axe. Congrats!
I only have one, the AL-3000 LP copy, but I can't believe the quality build and material for the money.......unreal.

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
So it IS an Agile? Couldn't tell.

oldguy
January 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Yes. They make another that's way more PRS-like,
the Agile PS-924. Also very beautiful build quality and woods.

Bloozcat
January 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
It's an Agile, Robert. Click on the link above, under the picture. It'll take you to the specs page on the Rondo site.

oldguy
January 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Blooz........that link just takes you to a pic of the guitar.

Bloozcat
January 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I just fixed it...

Blaze
January 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM
So your the first GAS victim of this new year ,nice guitar ,good deal ,like the color..

Congrats

Spudman
January 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Sweet guitar. I hope you get one that wasn't on the recalled list.

Spuds indeed. I'm going to send you a box of Cooties for turning me into a disease.

ZMAN
January 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I am glad I am not the only one. I had to sneak an Avatar 2/12 cab past my wife only two weeks after Christmas.
Those double cuts from Gibson have been going down in price drastically I saw a couple at my local store in mint condtion for under 1000 with a Gibson case. They have the same electroncs as the LP and only any extra cut away and nobody wants them. The Agile is a dead ringer though.
Spud I think it was only the blue color they recalled.

peachhead
January 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM
That's sweet! Congrats!

Bloozcat
January 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Spuds indeed. I'm going to send you a box of Cooties for turning me into a disease.

Ok, ok...I took the word "disease" out. It's technically only a disorder.

Hey, you should be proud Spud. It's not everyone who gets a disorder named after them.....:D

I'm only at Stage II...which is, what?...about 40 steps behind you Spud? ;)

tjcurtin1
January 9th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Looks gawjus - I love a blue guitar...:AOK:

Bloozcat
January 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM

You must be psychic, Spud...:master:

I went over to the Agile Forum to see if there was any current feedback on this guitar. There was a thread about recent Agile quality, and one of the most mentioned guitars is the current offering of...you guessed it, this AD 3000 Prestige. Seems that there are a few complaints about fit/finish issues, bridge/intonation issues, and the specs on the guitars received compared to the advertised specs.

Things like this can be very subjective I know, as the sampling from the Agile site only represents a handful of complaints. There's no way of knowing how many guitars have been shipped, and what percentage of the overall number have problems. Still, I like it better when I read nothing but glowing reviews...even if they aren't completely accurate.

Anyway, I'll be holding my breath until mine arrives and I can give it a thorough examination.

Spudman
January 12th, 2009, 09:01 AM
You must be psychic, Spud...:master:

Why yes I am.

Bloozcat
January 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
One of my favorite phrases in the English language...

...Out for delivery....:dude:

Bloozcat
January 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM
OK, so here's a brief description and a few pictures. I'll do a more thorough review in the "review" section later.

My overall impression of the AD 3000 is quite good. The fit and finish are both very good to excellent with no paint blemishes or gaps. The fitting of the mahogany body sections is a small issue, but I'll get into that in the full review. The acoustic tone is very Les Paul-like with the 3/4" maple top making the tone slightly brighter as it should. I compared the tone directly to my Agile 2800 DLX which has a mahogany body, a thin flame maple veneer, and a maple neck. The 2800 is definitely darker in tone (but not detrimentally so).

The maple top on this guitar is quite different than most I've seen. Rather than having the thin flame striping or the mottled quilt markings, this top is more of a tiger stripe flame with the flame striping wider. I like the look. Anyway, here's the pics:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/AD300010.jpg?t=1232457078
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/AD30004.jpg?t=1232457126
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/AD30007.jpg?t=1232457274
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/AD30009.jpg?t=1232457235
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/AD30008.jpg?t=1232457189

Gil Janus
January 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Very nice looking guitar. Congrats on getting some help for your, ah, problem. :AOK:

Can I ask how much she weighs ?

Gil :cool:

Katastrophe
January 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Nice! Congrats, Blooz!

Bloozcat
January 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Very nice looking guitar. Congrats on getting some help for your, ah, problem. :AOK:

Can I ask how much she weighs ?

Gil :cool:

Yes, thank you. I think I'm going to be OK now...the hyperventilating has stopped, the symptoms ar subsiding....;)

I don't have an exact weight, but it's right around 8-lbs...which is better than I heard it would be. It definitely is lighter than my Agile 2800 DLX LP copy which is pushing 10-lbs.

bigoldron
January 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear that you're feeling better! :D That is one beautiful guitar. I'm like Robert, it reminds me a lot of a PRS clone. How does she play? Be sure to post some clips! :AOK: :bravo:

Bloozcat
January 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Glad to hear that you're feeling better! :D That is one beautiful guitar. I'm like Robert, it reminds me a lot of a PRS clone. How does she play? Be sure to post some clips! :AOK: :bravo:

I did a review in the "Product Reviews" section with more detailed info....