PDA

View Full Version : Simple tip for improvising over a blues

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Here's a little tip you might find useful. Let's say you are playing a blues in the key of A. You might be using the A minor Pentatonic scale a fair bit over the I chord, yes? Try moving that whole pattern 3 frets towards the guitar neck. Now you have a F# Minor Pentatonic, or you can also say it is an A Major Pentatonic (same thing).

If the blues starts 4 bars of A7, try play the first 2 bars with A Minor Pentatonic, and the next 2 bars with A Major Pentatonic (or F# Minor Pentatonic).

What do you think?

I tend to mix and mingle scales/arpeggios/triads in different ways to make interesting transitions from one chord to another.

You can take this approach further and experiment. As long as you land on the next chord with the right notes, it can sound very cool to be way out there just before that chord change. A lot of jazz cats use this approach, as you probably know.

Try it and let me know your thoughts.

ted s
January 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
umm, having difficulty picturing this, say I start off in Am pent box 1 at the 5th, then what, slide up 3 frets and utilize the same shape ?

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Ted, yep. It means you are suddenly playing A Major Pentatonic. It sounds a bit different, since now you are no longer utilizing the minor 3rd - instead you get the major 3rd. It sounds a little different. Kinda "happier" perhaps? Slide back up 3 frets and you get the "meaner" blues sound again!

ted s
January 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Cool, thanks Rob, I'm gonna try that. I think the reference to F# tossed me for a loop is all.

thanks again

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Sure thing. I'm here if anyone has any questions they think I might be able to answer regarding improvising or what ever guitar-playing-related.

slow&alive
January 9th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Robert,

That is an excellent tip you give and I love to do it. It sounds so sweet going back and forth between the two scales.

It's a great little secret to share with blues players; and the funny thing is the average listener does not have a clue what you're doing to make it sound so cool! And it is so easy to do AND a lot of fun playing back and forth with endless variety and variations available!

Thanks--this is a wild one! :AOK:

Craig

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Glad you like it! I've got lots of these little tips up my sleeve.... ;)

just strum
January 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I just tried it out, interesting little twist.

slow&alive
January 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Glad you like it! I've got lots of these little tips up my sleeve.... ;)

Cool! Please feel free to give more of them! :bravo:

aeolian
January 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I actually accidentally hit upon doing this when I was doing blues jamming with a couple of guys a year ago. The only thing is that I did not realize that I was moving between the major pentatonic and the minor pentatonic, but I know that it worked sonically, now that you explained it, it all makes sense.

Spudman
January 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
So that's what I've been doing all this time. Cool. I never thought of it the way you explained it.

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
How about you try playing both the minor 3rd and the major 3rd one after the other? Sounds a little jazzier perhaps. Minor 3rd is the note C if we play over A7. A fret higher and we get C# - the Major 3rd. This can yield some interesting phrases, and if you've ever heard me play, you may notice I do this all the time... it seems to be in my bones or something.

just strum
January 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
How about you try playing both the minor 3rd and the major 3rd one after the other? Sounds a little jazzier perhaps. Minor 3rd is the note C if we play over A7. A fret higher and we get C# - the Major 3rd. This can yield some interesting phrases, and if you've ever heard me play, you may notice I do this all the time... it seems to be in my bones or something.

We need videos. Break out the cam and the Suhr (and you know what else:poke: )

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I know. The trouble is that lately, the house is never empty long enough for me to get something recorded. I can't have kids running around the camera when I'm recording.

I'll work on it though, I promise!

just strum
January 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I know. The trouble is that lately, the house is never empty long enough for me to get something recorded. I can't have kids running around the camera when I'm recording.

I'll work on it though, I promise!

Quiet on the set - Action!!!

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Cool tip! Thanks!

thearabianmage
January 10th, 2009, 12:55 AM
That's a good bit of advice, Robert! To expand on that a tad, if you want to achieve a major feel while keeping the minor shape, try playing the A minor pentatonic and adding in what are called 'curls' or microtonal bends. If you do this on the minor 3rd (A3, G5, high E8) and minor 7th (low E3, D5, B8), then it can give the feel of the major pentatonic over the minor and gives you nice bluesy edge!

oldguy
January 10th, 2009, 08:14 AM
That's one of the tips I learned a long time ago.
Strum,
If you want to see/hear those scales, watch the video I posted in Member's Clips with the Super Champ XD. (you might ought to get you're hearing checked........you're doing a lot of yelling lately:D )............ it's the main two licks I keep going back to at the 5th and 8th frets. The track's in the key of C. I base a lot of my playing (too much, actually) off those, as I try to build on my vocabulary.
But those two alone will take you a long way.

just strum
January 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM
That's one of the tips I learned a long time ago.
Strum,
If you want to see/hear those scales, watch the video I posted in Member's Clips with the Super Champ XD. (you might ought to get you're hearing checked........you're doing a lot of yelling lately:D )............ it's the main two licks I keep going back to at the 5th and 8th frets. The track's in the key of C. I base a lot of my playing (too much, actually) off those, as I try to build on my vocabulary.
But those two alone will take you a long way.

WHAT???

What am I searching for? Your library is too extensive to be opening every one.

oldguy
January 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Sorry, Strum..........it's the last clip I posted.....here

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9910

I keep coming back to the 5th and 8th frets and playing........ it's kind of a jumping off point, or comfort zone for me, since I know the scales there more than anywhere else on the fretboard.

Jimi75
January 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Thank you Robert, your tips are always clear and one can use them directly! Sometimes when reading your advices I rediscover some stuff I have already forgotten! Man, you have such a huge musical brain...I always tend to forget too much of the stuff I learn :-)

:master:

sunvalleylaw
January 11th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I was just trying this over your new backer (using my Hagstrom, BTW, take note for your shopping needs) and the notes sound really good. Thanks! Doesn't make my boring phrasing tonight any better, but what the hey, more tools!

blingdogg
January 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks!! This is a great, useful tip!! :bravo: