PDA

View Full Version : Now you have done it..............

mrmudcat
January 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Ok so a shiva is out for now but oh my the Alchemist is so so fine:master:

http://www.bogneramplification.com/index_alchemist.php

Any other thoughts or comments on these!!! Tung????;)

Head plus cab for me:AOK: :rockon:

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I checked out a Bogner while in California. I was mighty impressed. I can't remember the model, but it had "side speakers". The sound came out of 3 sided of the combo - very cool and fantastic rich clean tone.

mrmudcat
January 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Was it a ported cab like they use Robert ? Heard the Alchemist is chinese assembled by line6 ,maybe with the line 6 spider .:whatever: :poke:

Ripped from website 'Line 6, Inc. is the exclusive worldwide distributor of Alchemist amplifiers"

This does bother me and frankly would be a buying consideration.:confused:

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I think so. It sounded very impressive.

mrmudcat
January 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I know some shivas were built in japan and some built in the states.Not sure how much this will be a factor on my decision.(Like my angel would let me buy another amp before moving:whatever: ) Only a couple of used shivas on ebay:thwap: Oh hell im building a ceriatone marshall clone (1986 bass head of course) so chinese bogner is still my fav for now.

tunghaichuan
January 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Disclaimer: this is my opinion based on very limited 'Net research. I have not heard an Alchemist, nor have I seen the innards of one. YMMV.

On the plus side, the amp was designed by Bogner, so it most likely will sound very good. It has on board FX which is a nice feature (if they've been implemented well, of course.)

The head retails for $1100 (http://www.google.com/products?q=bogner%20alchemist&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf) or so, so it is not ridiculously expensive.

It has a 6L6-based, 40W class AB power section, which is good. The 6L6 is a nice sounding, if not neutral tube. The preamp is 5 12AX7s, so hopefully no modeling going on there. I'm assuming the FX are digital, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your stance on digital FX.

On the downside: it is made in China. This doesn't bother me on a $150 Valve Junior, as it is so simple that I can fix it if breaks or mod it if I don't like the tone. Reliability is kind of sketchy coming out of China right now. You may get a great one, you may get a lemon. I'd definitely buy new after thoroughly checking out the warranty.

I tried the Spider Valve at GC a few months ago and thought it sounded pretty good at low volumes. I didn't get to crank it to ear bleeding levels.

The 6L6 is a fine tube, but it is a bit too neutral sounding for me. They sound great in Fender amps, but you have to push them a bit to get some warmth out of them, IMHO.

OTOH, if you like high gain preamp distortion, this may be the amp for you. The 6L6 is great in an application like this as the preamp does most of the work and the 6L6s provide some power amp warmth (much more so than transistors).

Make sure you read the manual (http://www.bogneramplification.com/AlchemistUserManual.pdf), especially the section at the end on the warranty. Warranty service is provided by Line 6.

So basically, to sum up: the Alchemist is a Bogner-designed, Chinese-made product, supported by Line 6.

My best advice to you is find one to try out in person and really run it through its paces. Play the ever liveing %#@& out of it to see how it responds.

HTH,

tung

mrmudcat
January 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks tung for your valued opinion.There are some sound clips on bogners sight and it sounds good but as you stated china stuff is it or miss and without starting a political debate.I really go out of the way of buying china....................(impossible I know these days)

I was considering a tiny terror and building a 1986 plexi 50 watt bass head from ceriatone.I do love the 2x12 cab from bogner(alchemist cab with greenback and the g-12h 30th anniversary speakers one of each.)Maybe I can find a shiva for $1000 or a plexi (doubtful):thwap:

If not then a carvin legacy to go along with my 100b stack!;) !!

Radioboy950
January 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I came across this cool Alchemist demo the other day.
This dude is a good rock instrumental player, showing the more aggressive stuff that can be done with this Bogner. What do you think?

Nv48WOkVHFA

mrmudcat
January 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I have tried every piece of sound clips on these I think:thwap:

I really dig it fo-sho!!:beer:

hubberjub
January 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I have not played one and have limited experience with Bogner but I read several threads on another forum and people were not impressed. They seem to say that it's less a real Bogner and more along the line of that Line6/Bogner amp that came out last year. It's made in China unlike the rest of their line.

mrmudcat
January 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Hub ,ive heard some say this but ive read mostly good.You wonder if the negative comments are just tonal snobs dismissing it already cause its china made.:poke:

The reverb and delay ill not need if I dont like it.I might just buy a shiva or marshall I want.Then again I might play an alchemist and take it home.

hubberjub
January 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM
You're right. A lot of it might just be because it's made in China. I'm kind of a gear snob and I think the Chinese mad Vox Heritage amplifier series is great. I have no opinion of my own about the Bogner. I hope you get the opportunity to try one out and let us know what you think.