PDA

View Full Version : So what are your favorite blues players?

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I suspect we've been over this before, but good things can be repeated.

What blues players are your favorites, and why?

For me, well Albert King is one, because of his mighty bends and righteous playing. He played with attitude. Albert Collins, because he also played with a lot of attitude and certainly could back it up.

Another player would be Jimi Hendrix of course, and he was from the same planet as Tot.

Others that I admire would be Robben Ford, Scott Henderson, SRV, Bonamassa, because they have a lot of finesse in their playing. It's flashy but tasty.

Your turn.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Blind Willie Johnson because it just seems so damn authentic coming from him and that voice, my goodness that voice just oozes blues.

Son House and Lightnin' Hopkins because they were great songwriters.

Duane Allman. Do I really need to explain why? If so, you haven't listened to Duane.

Dan Auerbach. I know some people like the Black Keys and some don't. I do and I think Auerbach is an interesting electric blues player. He certainly manages to get my attention.

just strum
January 9th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Blind Willie is a great pick.

BB, Buddy Guy, Clapton, early Stones, Bonamassa, SRV. One other that is not discussed much, but I love listening to Joplin sing the blues.

Like guitar, I still consider myself in the early stages of learning about the blues, so my list doesn't have a lot of historical depth.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Blind Willie's "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground" is the single most haunting piece of music I've ever heard. Marc Ribot does a very nice cover of it on the Martin Scorcese blues thing, but as good as it is, it doesn't have that feeling of authenticity that Johnson's does. There's something about that recording that's intangible but so powerful.

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I am going to answer this as in who I listen to the most, so therefore must enjoy the most.

That would be (in no particular order) SRV, BB King, Buddy Guy, David Gilmour, Little Charlie Baty and his Nightcats, and yes I will say it, John Mayer, especially with the Trio. I particularly like how Mayer is jazzing up the blues and using note and chord choices that are just a bit outside the box.

I certainly enjoy Albert King, but I must confess I don't listen to him specifically that much. I do have a large blues collection of traditional stuff that I just play in random order from my iPod, but if I am picking favs, it is from the above list.

just strum
January 10th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Blind Willie's "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground" is the single most haunting piece of music I've ever heard. Marc Ribot does a very nice cover of it on the Martin Scorcese blues thing, but as good as it is, it doesn't have that feeling of authenticity that Johnson's does. There's something about that recording that's intangible but so powerful.

For those that aren't familiar with the "piece of music" that R_of_G is referring to

BNj2BXW852g

just strum
January 10th, 2009, 12:06 AM
and yes I will say it, John Mayer, especially with the Trio.

I think the stigma is starting to disappear, so it is more acceptable.

just strum
January 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM
One other that is not discussed much, but I love listening to Joplin sing the blues.

LZ8FHbEyQnQ&feature=related

R_of_G
January 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks Mark. It's easily among my favorite recordings ever.

Robert
January 10th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Freddie King is another giant.

This is a cool clip. Like the organ player's hairdo.

vdyvPg0c6bI

R_of_G
January 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Speaking of organ players, I would be remiss not to include Jimmy Smith in my list. We're not limited to guitar players, right?

thearabianmage
January 10th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Where's Robert Johnson? :D He's a good 'un, as well as The Kings, Eric Clapton (especially with John Mayall's Bluebreakers), and SRV are musts! I also quite like Robben Ford, Ry Cooder (slide king!), Son House (good singer) and, of course, Jimi Hendrix.

mrmudcat
January 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Well Muddy Waters ,Bucka White(Booker),Buddy Guy,The Kings (all of them):master:

Nice call for Ry !!!!!

Last listed but really first;) is Duane Allman and the brothers in the band for really getting me fired up for bluesy music.Their music is so uncomplicated ,simple, pure.The Blues in other words;)

just strum
January 10th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Another group of guys we discussed recently

YUy7pwp9Qmo

oldguy
January 10th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Frank Marino, that Italian Canadian frenzied player accused of being a Hendrix clone before Trower, Randy Hansen, SRV.
When he decides to do a blues tune, he has some of the most delicious guitar licks around. Problem is it's hard for me to find a good video on Youtube that really showcases his blues playing. The videos are usually audience members and the little camcorders mic's distort from the volume Marino plays at.....loud. This one's not too bad though.

O5vwfwZ6D_U&feature=related

Rocket
January 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Aside from the obvious, (and very long,) standard laundry list and as much as I hate to staple these players down to a genre... for great playin' along Blues:
Steve Thorpe, Johnny Hiland, & Doghouse Dave Dore.

Robert
January 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Oldguy, I was thinking about Marino too... and Ry Cooder for sure. Gary Moore has good moments too. Gatemouth Brown, Elmore James, Howlin' Wolf.

Blaze
January 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
3 different eras, 3 styles & tones,

Skip James
JB2POWSnStU

Albert Collins
ihvvf1R_vWo

Robben Ford
-seRKPVizLA

marnold
January 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hard to argue with any of the suggestions. I'd add Hubert Sumlin (guitarist for Howlin' Wolf) in there too. Yes, I like his playing in general, but the thing that's always gotten me about him is the genuine joy and enthusiasm when he plays. Kenny Wayne Shepherd also has his moments, particularly on 10 Days Out.

Andy
January 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
For those who like the blues and want to explore (and download) the mentioned artists and many many more that fretters love so much ...check this site out if you havent already.

I have spent quite a bit of time there myself,(ok alot) enjoy!

http://blazplavi-guitarmusic.blogspot.com/

cherokee747
January 11th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Hard to believe no one mentioned Johnny Winter. Walter Trout and Tommy Castro come to mind as well as Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets.I agree with the older masters too but need to throw in T-Bone Walker.Duane can't be beat nor his sidekick Dickey Betts.:AOK: Mike

street music
January 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6QUbg57p4U
I surprised not one of posted Kenny Wayne Sheperd,.
I will include BB KING, Eric Clapton, BONNIE RAITT as three more of my favorites.

street music
January 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usySRsotVA8

You may like this one better.
Or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2asxKmhGAC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nosaM97DONU

ZMAN
January 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I will start with Albert King, without him there would be no SRV. BB and Freddie King as mentioned. Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker, Gary Moore, Otis Rush, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Ronnie Earl, Robben Ford, but not his jazz stuff. Robin Trower, I know he is mostly known for his rock stuff but he has 3 or four really great blues albums.
Funny the mention of Frank Marino. A friend of mine just dropped off his Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush live CD from 1978. I had heard of him but never really listened to any of his stuff. More rock than blues but a couple of pretty good blues tunes.
Another one of my favourites was Shuggie Otis. He had two or three really good albums in the 70s when he was 15 or 16 years old. He dropped off the map after that and the booze and drugs took away his skills. But for a 15 year old he made Johhny Lange look like a beginner.
To some extent I have come to like Jimi Vaughan, and Robert Cray.
Some on the Younger guys like Trucks, Mayer, Kenny Wayne deserve honourable mention as well.
My whole life I have been a blues fan, and I like all of it but I really lean towards the more Chicago, electric blues side.

helliott
January 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Add to the great list already posted by many:
Roy Buchanan
Rory Gallagher
Derek Trucks
Warren Haynes (see him play The Sky is Crying live, and you'll know what I mean.)

R_of_G
January 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Mississippi Gary anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em2icoJfLu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAudf74RCEs&feature=related

The second one, as funny as the whole thing is, I also really like the playing the guitarist is doing in the background.

R_of_G
January 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM
And now a more serious addition to my list...

Alvin Lee

tHw9b4BBV9Y

Spudman
January 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hey man, they are all blues players...except for Steve Howe. Don't ever bring up the blues around him.
By default they are all my favorite.:)