PDA

View Full Version : Tried new set of strings today - Review.

Katastrophe
July 1st, 2006, 06:07 PM
Had band practice today, and the ol' ESP needed a new set of strings. Wouldn't ya know it, my stack of D'Addarios that my other guitar player and I ordered from MF was completely depleted. In my area, I have exactly *two* places I can go to purchase new strings. One is a pawn shop, and the other is a pharmacy on the square downtown. I went to the pawn shop.

All they had was GHS brand strings.:mad:

It took me a lot of experimentation to find the brand of string that worked best for me. The GHS Boomers I used in the past didn't cut it, IMHO. They had Boomers, Zakk Wylde sig strings, and Nickel Rockers. Seeing no alternative, I chose the Nickel Rockers, paid about $6.00 for one pack (10s), and out the door I went.

Slapped the strings on the ESP (a simple process, with the top loading TOM bridge), stretched 'em out a bit, and gave 'em a good tuning.

Tone: Awesome. Not as bright as the D'Addarios (which I have to play for a while, as they're almost too bright at first), with a "rounder" tone. It was a noticable difference. It will be interesting how long these strings last and how well they keep that tone. It's not enough to make me switch from the D'Addarios, but at least I know there's a good backup out there!

SuperSwede
July 2nd, 2006, 04:28 AM
Have you tried Elixir strings? They cost a bit more but seem to last a lifetime (well maybe not that long ;)

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2006, 05:18 AM
Sure haven't. I've heard lots of good things about the Elixirs and about how long they last.

I've been using D'Addarios almost exclusively for the last 10 years. I would imagine that in that time, there have been some innovations in string manufacture / technology.

SuperSwede
July 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
You should try them next time, they give you a good tone for a long time. They seem more resistant to string breakage as well, but your mileage may vary...

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
I'm gonna have to try those out... Any string that lasts longer saves me $$$$, and that is a very good thing (as long as the tone's good, too)!

Lack of string breakage was one of the reasons I stayed with the D'Addarios. I never broke a string with them, ever.

SuperSwede
July 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
I used to buy snarling dogs strings, but I havent seen them around for a really long time... Are they still being made?

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
A quick Google shows that Snarling Dogs still has a website, and MF still sells 'em.

Good strings?

tremoloman
July 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
If you use Elixir (http://www.elixirstrings.com/) strings in conjunction with Finger Ease (http://www.chem-pak.com/catalog/musical_instruments/lubricants/fingerease.html) you can get MONTHS out of a set of strings. I spray my strings with Finger Ease before and after every use. The strings are so smooth and feel like brand new for ages. I swear by these two products.

Plus, I love the tone of Elixirs. I hate restringing since it takes a while for the strings to stretch and "settle in". The less I have to change 'em the better! Nothing worse than going to a gig with a guitar you strung an hour before.

SuperSwede
July 4th, 2006, 10:33 AM
My sets usually last around 3 months. I never wipe them off or use any cleaning product, so I might check out the Finger Ease (perhaps it will be enough to change strings autumn & spring :D ) .

Katastrophe
July 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Now, I used to use Finger Ease all the time, and I don't really know why I stopped. The product does work as advertised, and does it well!

Swede - Three months? I'm lucky if I get a month out of my strings before they go dead on me...

SuperSwede
July 5th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Kat - That is with Elixir... cheap strings are never on my guitar more than 1 month.