PDA

View Full Version : 1/11/09 Greetings!!

carvedtop
January 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hello to all you Fret.net members.

I'm primarily a bass player but have recently started playing around on some six stringers we have in the studio. I have a couple of cheapo acoustics that I've been using to compose tunes with lately. Really just noodling during comercial breaks while watching TV, but I've managed to come up with 4 tunes out of it.

Along with the acoustics, I own a 1983 Fender Squire Bullet, which is a cool little guitar. And I'm now looking at buying a Guild SC7E Perigrine that I just played at a local store. Man is that a sweet setup! If I buy it, I'll post some photos.

CT

warren0728
January 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
welcome ct....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2009...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
January 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Welcome carvedtop, I know you will like it here... (sue me, Warren).

just strum
January 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Man, GAS right out of the gate, you will fit right in here.

Gil Janus
January 10th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome aboard TheFret - a GAS powered forum :bravo:

Gil :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
January 10th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Welcome!

Which carved top is the genesis of your moniker?

Spudman
January 10th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hi and welcome :wave:

peachhead
January 10th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the Fret!

mrmudcat
January 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Welcome:beer:

markb
January 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hi, carvedtop. MIJ Squiers were great guitars, I still miss my Japanese Vintage '62 strat.

duhvoodooman
January 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Welcome to The Fret, CT. :AOK: :dude: :beer:

evenkeel
January 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Welcome to the forum. :bravo:

oldguy
January 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
CT, Welcome to The Fret!:AOK: :dude: :beer:

carvedtop
January 11th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Welcome!

Which carved top is the genesis of your moniker?

Hi!
My URB is a 1992 German Eberle hybrid. It has a carved top and laminated back and sides. I actually just bought an Eastman hybrid cello for my daughter, so I guess we have 2 carved tops in the house now. ;D

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Hi!
My URB is a 1992 German Eberle hybrid. It has a carved top and laminated back and sides. I actually just bought an Eastman hybrid cello for my daughter, so I guess we have 2 carved tops in the house now. ;D
I know nothing about cellos. So hybrid means laminated back & sides with a solid top?

Are cellos & stand-up basses the same thing as violins & fiddles are?

URB means what?

I know Eastman for its archtop guitars, but have never heard of Eberle. Are they good?

Pics? Clips?

SuperSwede
January 11th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Welcome welcome...

Blaze
January 11th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Welcome & Bienvennue in GAS_Land..

http://www.bized.co.uk/images/gas.jpg

sunvalleylaw
January 11th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Welcome Carvedtop!

Cottonwood King
January 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Welcome, carvedtop, from one newbie to another! :dude:

Brian Krashpad
January 13th, 2009, 06:58 AM

URB means what?

Cellos and stand-up bass are different instruments, cello is smaller and played seated.

URB is bassist slang for "upright bass," meaning a stand-up.

To the OP:
Welcome CT! Is that Squier Bullet made in Japan? Early MIJ Squiers are nice, I played a MIJ Squier Tele for years, and my Precision Bass is a MIJ Squier also.

luvmyshiner
January 13th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Welcome!

carvedtop
January 14th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I know nothing about cellos. So hybrid means laminated back & sides with a solid top?

URB means what?

I know Eastman for its archtop guitars, but have never heard of Eberle. Are they good?

Pics? Clips?
Great questions!
Your are correct about hybrids. Laminated back and sides, hand carved spruce top. Eberle is a German company that went out of business in 2005. I was lucky enough to get my bass from Ideal Music in N.Y. They are going out of business and had warehouses full of NOS instruments. I got a real good deal.

Cellos and Upright basses (URB) They are similar in construction except for the pegs, and of course the size. They are also tuned differently and the fingerings are a bit different. Cellos players use all 4 fingers, where bassist don't (typically) use their ring fingers.

I'll post some photos of the whole arsenal once I get the Guld Peregine back from the shop.

CT

carvedtop
January 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Cellos and stand-up bass are different instruments, cello is smaller and played seated.

URB is bassist slang for "upright bass," meaning a stand-up.

To the OP:
Welcome CT! Is that Squier Bullet made in Japan? Early MIJ Squiers are nice, I played a MIJ Squier Tele for years, and my Precision Bass is a MIJ Squier also.

Yes I really like my MIJ Bullet. It has the 3/4 size Strat body, with an all maple Tele neck on it. I think the neck may have been a fluke at the factory. This is back when they were changing hands from Fender to CBS.
CT

tot_Ou_tard
January 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the clarification Brian & CT!

I should have said upright bass rather than stand-up bass, then I would have made the connection.

I don't even know why I said stand-up. I must have forgotten the usual terminology.