PDA

View Full Version : Why Music?

R_of_G
January 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Interesting article from The Economist presenting a hypothesis connecting music to human evolution.

http://www.economist.com/printedition/PrinterFriendly.cfm?story_id=12795510

oldguy
January 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Oh, yeah, I've said that for a long time.
good article, tho.

tjcurtin1
January 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Very interesting, thanks, R of G... However, I am surprised that there is no mention of the basic human appreciation for beauty. The tendency today is to look at everything so mechanistically - I think that it's a mistake, a case of cultural blinders: we look through our scientific-worldview tinted glasses, and we only see certain things.

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Very interesting, thanks, R of G... However, I am surprised that there is no mention of the basic human appreciation for beauty. The tendency today is to look at everything so mechanistically - I think that it's a mistake, a case of cultural blinders: we look through our scientific-worldview tinted glasses, and we only see certain things.

Evolutionary biology posits that all behaviors arise from evolutionary pressures. The basic human appreciation for beauty is one such attribute. If you don't enjoy scientific explanations, you should count your lucky stars that the article didn't mention the basic human appreciation for beauty & what evolutionary purpose it might serve. ;)

markb
January 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM
"All art tends toward the condition of music" - Walter Pater

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
"All art tends toward the condition of music" - Walter Pater

& where does music tend?