PDA

View Full Version : CB's second song.

luvmyshiner
January 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
So we've been playing around for awhile with another song. Last Sunday we had recorded a few attempts but weren't really satisfied. Then Katie had a seizure. We knew something was wrong, but we didn't realize how bad it was. CB gave her a bath and got her calmed downed. I could tell CB was really upset, and I suggested that we try the song one more time, hoping she could work her pain out through the music. She brought Katie into the room, wrapped in blanket, set her on the floor, and sang to her.

Special thanks to Algonquin for suggesting that CB's voice resembled Johnette Napolitano. Also, hopefully I have the volume problem taken care of with the addition of two ART tube microphone preamps. This is what we came up with. I hope you like it.

http://www.box.net/shared/vkfqofk5du

just strum
January 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm getting "wrong file" message.

luvmyshiner
January 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry Strummy, try it now.

mrmudcat
January 11th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Like it ya 'll:beer:

evenkeel
January 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Shiners,
Whatever you did to "fix" things works. Box net came up fine.

Nice job. A key rule of singing is to listen to the lyrics. You can tell CB is doing that. The singing is very expressive and the guitar strumming is nice and smooth and clean.

I can hear a couple of what sound like sniffing noises. You can silence that out with audacity. You might also want to add just a touch of reverb to the vocal and or guitar. Not to much or it will sound very fake.

Childbride
January 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Shiners,

I can hear a couple of what sound like sniffing noises. You can silence that out with audacity. You might also want to add just a touch of reverb to the vocal and or guitar. Not to much or it will sound very fake.

i was crying, keel. i didn't know what was wrong with katie, but the little inner voice said it was bad, very bad. i stayed up with her on the floor all night a week ago today, beside myself, as she got worse and worse.

k

sunvalleylaw
January 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Very heartfelt. It hurts to hear you hurting that badly. It is a nice recording though. I really love heartfelt recordings.

mrmudcat
January 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM
That is whats missing from alot of todays music .........................EMOTION:beer:

oldguy
January 12th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Very real, very sad, and very beautiful. Wonderful job, and again, sorry about Katie.

M29
January 12th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Nice job CB this is what music is all about. Your song is very touching and heartfelt.

M

PAPPY
January 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM
From the first day I met you and Mark at Pearl ,a few years ago, I knew that you two were Special people. Since then, everytime we get a chance to meet it only confirms my first impression. Watching the two of you struggle along the way while learning music and seeing the determination set in both faces makes this a special occassion for me and it is well worth the wait. I am proud to know the both of you. I wouldn't change a thing on the recording, those first recordings are so important later down the road when you can go back and hear the progress you've made, although "I don't know how it can get any better than it already is" great job on the vocals Kim and Mark "you da man"

Steve206
January 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hey there Tex's,,

Just listened to the tune. Quite an improvement over the first attempt. I would say that Shiner is no longer allowed to claim that he is a beginner.

Like the clean feel of one guitar and one voice. Then again, just for your own curiosity, going back in for another guitar part can start you down the Phil Spector Highway.

I am hoping that recording is showing you things about your playing that you were not aware of. It is hard to teach "a feel" and it sounds like you have plenty of it.

Congrats,,,,,

Steve

warren0728
January 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM
i'm loving it....nice guitar playin'....and cb....your voice....wow!!

luvmyshiner
January 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the kind words y'all. I don't think CB wanted me to post it. She wasn't happy with her vocals. But I think I could hear something she couldn't.

On the guitar side, I had to capo the guitar at the sixth fret in order to get the song into CB's register. The problem I ran into was the guitar sounded very thin, tinney, I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is. So I switched to the D'Aquisto, which has a very deep, mellow, almost "boomey" tone (yeah, I'm makin' these words up as I go, almost makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about:whatever: ).

Then yesterday I went back, reversed the phase on the mic and changed its position, then recorded a second guitar part with the D'Aquisto. I used a very basic strumming pattern on the second part. The point was to fill in the sound and fix a few chords I missed the first time around. Hopefully the end result blended well enough that it sounded like one guitar.

Childbride
January 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the kind words y'all. I don't think CB wanted me to post it. She wasn't happy with her vocals. But I think I could hear something she couldn't.

thank you for all of your kind words and support. deeply and sincerely.

i cracked pitch, i was crying, and it was a very, very personal recording.

but the emotion was raw, very real, and a tribute to a moment in time.

shiner played awesomely.

thank you again for all of the kind things that y'all said.

street music
January 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm just sitting hear listening for my third time at this wonderful piece of work.
I love it, don't change anything about it. CB, the emotion is felt all the way through the song, KATIE is fine because her momma loved her dearly. I could have cried knowing what you were seeing asyou played your heart out. I can just simply say fantastic and sorry I didn't hear it till now.
I just wish that I still had my Boxer that came to me from Houston , TX several years ago because I still remember loosing him.

Justaguyin_nc
January 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
wow... the emotions do come across deeply...

Picturing...
I been attached to to many animals that have become closer than people...
That have passed on in times.. it's very emotional for me also.

good tune.. great feelings.. thanks for sharing...

nicely done.

Robert
January 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM
That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

just strum
January 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
CB, since we had a brief communication about Katie and I visualized you singing and I had to shut the song down because it hit me so hard.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Childbride
January 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
CB, since we had a brief communication about Katie and I visualized you singing and I had to shut the song down because it hit me so hard.

I'll try again tomorrow.

thank you for everyone who has posted on this thread...

i now know in my heart that she was a guardian angel to get me through my first marriage, and that she was so happy with where my life had gone that she didn't want to go.

my new vet told me something that will stay in my heart forever; 'kimmie, i can tell you one thing. she was a fighter. she should have gone months ago...'

Algonquin
January 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the little mention at the start of this thread, I had truly hoped I wasn't out of line with the original comparison... but I thought it was close to one of my all time favorite's.

Someone once told me that pet's fill a void in our lives that we never knew existed, and having recently loved and lost... I'd have to agree with that.

piebaldpython
January 13th, 2009, 01:50 AM
J,M & J........What a tune!! I "listened" to the tune then read the responses from others. My "first" impressions are.......Shiner, dude, some great, nice, clean, upper register guitar chord playing...you, my friend, are NO hack at git playin'...you're out there all alone, no other instruments to HIDE behind and you did stellar work...CB, THAT voice.........very touching, very moving with a tonal quality that alludes to others but remains resolutely YOUR own.....you have a VOICE that has a smokiness to it that is quite appealing in that one wants to listen to MORE.......we go to half a dozen musicals a year, so I get to hear lots of voices and for the most part they all sound really nice, well trained, but there's nothing in them that makes me want to hear MORE past what they sang that nite.....your voice just drips with HEARTFELT emotion......what a gift.
Hey, not to be greedy here, but when y'all gonna break out the 'lectrics and FIREFLY? :poke:

Kazz
January 13th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I'm with Strum.....knowing you guys for the past 3 years through 2 different forums...it was pretty emotional for me too.

The singing and the guitar playing are excellent. I would not change a thing. Thanks for sharing.

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Another excellent CB-Shiner collaboration! Sorry it was born from such painful circumstances, but that emotion really comes through. Thanks for posting it, guys.... :AOK:

Childbride
January 14th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Hey, not to be greedy here, but when y'all gonna break out the 'lectrics and FIREFLY? :poke:

katie had to be tone deaf, but she liked my playing. i am currently working with sugar [wing's asat] on my first song 'playing' that i want to record for y'all. problem is that i've learned the 1st guitar part and am only 1/2 through the 2d guitar part.

and it's challenging for me. there are techniques to mastering it that i have not encountered before. i love challenges.

but i will play it plugged, on the firefly. coming attraction, dedicated to katie.