Thread: Head to head shoot out Fender Prosonic vs the new Super-Sonic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Head to head shoot out Fender Prosonic vs the new Super-Sonic

I have been playing the Prosonics for a few years now and for those who don't know the amps here is the scoop. The Prosonic was a Bruce Zinky Custom Shop design for Fender. Over the top cascaiding gains with a KILLER smoking sweet blackfaced style clean these are BEASTS!!! They looked like a mild mannered blackface combo but were so different that most of the die hard Fender guys just ignored um. Fender never really marketed these as the boogie/ Marshall killers they were and with a $1995 list for the 2/10 combo they did not sell well. they were discontined in 2002.
    Last week I bought a new Fender Super-Sonic head.
    The Super-Sonic is the new high gain 60 watt amp from Fender. The same cascaiding dual gains but MUCH tamer than the FLAMETHROWING Prosonics.
    The Super Sonic has a switchable loop and more cleanheadroom than the Prosonics but appears similar.
    I ran both through the same Fender 2/12 cab with GT-12 75 Watt Celestians and used the same 1995 Wasburn USA custom shop MG 122. The pickups in the guitar are a 59 in the neck and a Custom in the bridge with n A8 mag swap. the only effects are a George Dennis Wah.
    I played both tracks over a jamm track posted over on The Gear Page in Bmin.

Here is a clip with the Super-Sonic http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=6063120
    For reference here is a clip with the Prosonic done with the same guitar and cab.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=6028640
    The Super-Sonic has the better cleans and is smoother, less agressive and more "vintage" toned. The Prosonic on the other hand is a modern high gain rig and an absolute FLAMETHROWER. The Prosonic is what a Boogie Mark wishes it could be!! Two very different type amps but both KILLERS at what they do.
    Last edited by Ascension; December 12th, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
    Guitars
    Washburn's
    Chicago Custom Shop USA's 1995 MG 122,100,102,120, 1994 MG-122, one off 1994 Prototype, 1999 WM-4, 200 3-ST Stealth
    Carvins 1990 Pearl Pink reverse headstock X220C, 1991 Sapphire Blue Flame V220R.
    Accoustics
    LTD 88 Takamine

Amps
    Fender Prosonic combo
    100 watt custom one off Prosonic head
    Fender 2/12 cab
    2 Avatar 2/12 cabs- Blond Oxblood with 75's and Red with Black Vin 30's
    Yamaha 4/12