Thread: Telecaster on Open D sus4 and a tube Laney amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Telecaster on Open D sus4 and a tube Laney amp

Two days ago I decided to get my Telecaster out of the gig bag and tune it to one of this intricate open tuning: Dsus4 and try noodling around with my Laney LC-15 turn up to crunch. I had lots of fun and found out some interesting sound textures.

Let me know what you think of it

Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting, indeed!

Dsus4 - as far as chords go, that would be a D-G-A-C (I-IV-V-VII), wouldn't it? So as far as tuning goes, would that be D-G-D-A-C-D or D-G-C-G-A-D?

If any of my workings out are wrong, please correct me, I'm intrigued!

Post Thanks / Like

I just consider as an Open D with a 4th instead of a major third so tuning is DADGAD simply a sus4 doesn't need a 7th if I'm correct otherwise you'll get a 11th chord not a sus4
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    I just consider as an Open D with a 4th instead of a major third so tuning is DADGAD simply a sus4 doesn't need a 7th if I'm correct otherwise you'll get a 11th chord not a sus4
    Ahh, DADGAD! That's the only other alternate tuning I use! But I use it for entirely different applications!

I never knew that was a sus4, though. . . That would make sense about the sus4 becoming an 11 by adding the 7 - but I'm at least glad I knew to drop the 3 for the 4!

Post Thanks / Like

Alternate tuning is a vast source of discoveries for me give a try to DAEEAD it's a tuning I discover through Chris Whitley and it's really great (Dsus2). I did some instrumentals with this tuning and it's really interesting :
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Alternate tuning is a vast source of discoveries for me give a try to DAEEAD it's a tuning I discover through Chris Whitley and it's really great (Dsus2). I did some instrumentals with this tuning and it's really interesting :
    My problem is that it's taken me years to get my head around standard tuning, the moment I change it - even to Eb - everything just sounds wrong and horrible. The only exception to that being DADGAD, but I use that drastically different than you do (or most people, from what I've heard).

I'll give it a shot someday - when it feels right.

Post Thanks / Like

What I like is that without the already known position you'll have to dig for what sounds good to your ears and that open up your musical universe.

It helps me to rethink the guitar differently than to run same old scales or use over and over the same chords pattern
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

What I like is that without the already known position you'll have to dig for what sounds good to your ears and that open up your musical universe.

It helps me to rethink the guitar differently than to run same old scales or use over and over the same chords pattern
    I guess you're right - I need to leave my comfort zone. I'll give it a shot. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Well no one else has any comment to do
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Jipes.....I like what I hear.....good stuff....and very different
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I liked it a lot, Jipes. Very good sound from that combination of amp and guitar. That tuning is interesting sounding. I've never used alternate tunings except for DADGBD on acoustic a few times. Nice clip!:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kazz, that's why I love open tunings they sound different

Thanks Oldguy, you should definetly give it a try you will hear lots of new sounds emerging :
    Guitars:

Amps: