Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Conference Championship Games

Post Thanks / Like

Default NFL Conference Championship Games

Anybody have any thoughts on the championship games this Sunday? Is Arizona for real? Is this finally McNabb's year? Could anything be more exciting than seeing Pittsburgh's defense against Baltimore's defense? What do you think will happen.

For the record, I am picking Baltimore and Philadelphia. Should the Cards win, I won't be shocked though. Warner is a winner and that defense is better than people think it is. The AFC game I am looking forward to more than any game so far. To see the two premier defenses in the league match up is a treat.

Go playoffs!:
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I actually am looking forward to the NFC game more because the offenses are better. Pittsburgh has a semi decent offense. Baltimore has none to speak of. It's going to be a 13-10 game, methinks. I'd really like Arizona to make the Superbowl since they are one of the "futile four" who have never played in the game.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

13-10 would be a lot of scoring for those two teams. That's what intrigues me about it. I tend to prefer 3-0 to 48-10. I would like to see Arizona win because I've known so many Eagles fans and they haven't made me want to wish success on their team (the Eagles fans here are cool though). With Warner at QB, anything is possible.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Pittsburgh Steelers going hunting;
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time to revisit replay

This year has shown me that the NFL instant replay rules are a joke. Whether it was the so-called forward pass call which cheated San Diego against Denver early in the season, the kickoff which never touched the Eagles player or went out of bounds today or any of the many plays in between, I have seen far too many incorrect calls on plays that are "not reviewable".

So I ask, what is the point of having "not reviewable" situations? By allowing any form of replay at all, the league acknowledges that its officials make mistakes and that these mistakes should not necessarily affect the outcomes of the games. Therefore, why would the system provide for situations in which a mistake must be accepted?

Let me state, I am not for reviewing every play every time from the booth. I am not for changing the way it works now with the one challenge per team per half. The only change I want made is that ANY call can be challenged. To isolate any type of situation as "not reviewable" makes the entire concept of review preposterous.

On another note, where is this spectacular Eagles' defense I keep hearing about? I've talked a lot about the two D's we will see this evening in the AFC game, and I've read and heard a lot about how "the Eagles are being overlooked and are playing the best D right now." Ok, where is it? It looks to me like the Cardinals can pretty much do whatever they want out there. Interesting to me that the Eagles are giving up a lot of points because that cannot be blamed on McNabb (everyone's favorite scapegoat).

Post Thanks / Like

The Cards are on !!
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

That game was a good appetizer. Now on to the main course, defensive football!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! What a game. This has been a very close and exciting season. If y'all will excuse me, I have to go watch the next one.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Cards! The futile four is now the futile three.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Pittsburgh Steelers going hunting;
    Very creative.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

And as a Tampa resident I am glad the Cards won so my city is not overrun by Eagles fans for the next two weeks! Like I said, the Eagles fans at this forum all seem like good people to me, but my many experiences with Eagles fans outside of this forum (including many games at the Vet) have not been pleasurable.

It will be intriguing to see the Cards' high-test offense against either Pittsburgh or Baltimore!

Go football!

Game time... see you later.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

13 - 0

you haven't given up on the game already, have you?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Good Super Bowl to come , Pittsburg should win this by 17 points ..
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Default Football

Kudos to the Cards for beating us fair and square. I'm glad that the IGGLES made a game out of it in the second half and yeah, their vaunted D shut the Cards down until the last drive.

As to McNabb, the best thing to happen to him was getting benched at half time of that game 5 weeks ago. It woke him up and he's played better since. With all due respect, McNabb and Reid deserved every bit of BLAME that they got over the past years. Sometimes they go "braindead" at the worst times.

R of G....you went to games at the Vet?? 700 level?? Dude, I wouldn't have sit in those seats if you paid me to. Rabid fanaticism coupled with too much Beer or Jack Daniels makes for an UGLY scene. Which is why they they wound up having a JUDGE at the stadium for our unruly fans. UGH!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    As to McNabb, the best thing to happen to him was getting benched at half time of that game 5 weeks ago. It woke him up and he's played better since. With all due respect, McNabb and Reid deserved every bit of BLAME that they got over the past years. Sometimes they go "braindead" at the worst times.
    If you guys don't want McNabb anymore, I would gladly see him in a Jets or Bucs uniform next season.

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    R of G....you went to games at the Vet?? 700 level?? Dude, I wouldn't have sit in those seats if you paid me to. Rabid fanaticism coupled with too much Beer or Jack Daniels makes for an UGLY scene. Which is why they they wound up having a JUDGE at the stadium for our unruly fans. UGH!!
    I did. One of my former employers is as rabid an Eagles fan as they come and he brought me to several games. It was humorous and terrifying at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You Steelers!!!!

I was holding off on posting about this until it was official (even though ESPN broke the story last night that it was probably going to happen) because I didn't want to jinx it.

Rex Ryan has agreed to a 4 year deal to become the next head coach of the New York Jets. I am thrilled! You all know by now that I am much more concerned with defense than offense and I don't think there is a better defensive mind in football than Rex Ryan (not counting his father Buddy who was an absolute genius). When I wanted Mangini fired two seasons ago, it was Ryan I was hoping the Jets could go after to replace him. Here we a whole season later and it's finally happened. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

If nothing else, I look forward to the Jets building a strong defense. The return of Gang Green!

So thank you Steelers for ending the Ravens' season so Ryan could officially be hired. J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets!

Is it draft day yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    I was holding off on posting about this until it was official (even though ESPN broke the story last night that it was probably going to happen) because I didn't want to jinx it.
    This is going to be interesting to watch leading up to the new season and results during the season. I'm not familiar with players on the Jets, what does he have to work with coming out of the gate?

I too have something to announce until it was reported on ESPN. It's official, the Browns are tied for 1st place going into the first game of the 09/10season - savor the moment.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I'm not familiar with players on the Jets, what does he have to work with coming out of the gate?
    They have Calvin Pace (LB) and Kris Jenkins (DT) as vets to work with. Both are star quality defensive players. They also have Darelle Revis (CB) who will be going into his third year. I watched plenty of Revis in college at Pittsburgh and he has been exactly what I hoped he would be. He's turning into one of the higher quality cornerbacks in the game. Teams are throwing to his side of the field less and less as time goes on. There is some other talent on the D but I would like to see that side of the ball addressed a lot more in the upcoming draft and through free agency as there is really nobody else that I would say should be guaranteed a spot on the roster for next season.

I've said before that I hope the Jets draft Ray Malaluaga if he is still available when they use their first pick, but he may not make it down that far in the draft. The key to a Rex Ryan defense is an outstanding middle linebacker and I think Malaluaga would fit the bill perfectly.

There are also three outstanding free agents on the Baltimore defense that I wouldn't mind if at least one of them follows his coach to the Jets. I am sure Baltimore will offer Suggs however much money he wants, but Bart Scott would be a nice pickup for the Jets and Ray Lewis, while not the player he used to be, would be exactly the kind of veteran defensive guy who can teach the younger guys to act like winners.

And hey Strum, the Jets are in the lead today too!! Next year's AFC championship game Jets v Browns? It'd be fun to try to stick it to Mangini.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast