Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 10 Strat Mods

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL!! That one is good! Stand by your metal man!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well folks, I think there are so many so called experts out there on the internet and on forums and everyone of them has another advice how you can mod or improve your instrument. Eric Johnson is a sound freak. Remember the thread about fuzzes? Eric Johnson exchanges the screws of his fuzz to improve the sound! So what are we talking about here? Removing the lacquer underneath the tremoloblock, underneath the pus?

Please make sure you really want to do this to your instrument before acting in a rush. I believe that you will not hear a difference. Please bear in mind that people with a superior capability of hearing like Eric Johnson are few out there and they hear things we might never hear.

Buy an instrument that you love from the first moment on. Don't buy something where you feel the need that you have to mod this and that! Most of the time when you play on stage with a full band you don't hear such subtle changes.

Fixing the tremolo block is cool, if you don't use the tremolo. Exchanging pus is also something one can do, but that's about what I did to my instruments.

Plug in and play!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Sound advice, Jimi75 (no pun intended).

On removing the back cavity cover, I read that Eric Johnson does this on all his guitars because he liked what it did to the sound, so I thought, what the hay, I'll give it a try--can't hurt, and if I don't like it, I can always put the cover back on.

I did this years ago and the cover is still off (noticed a distinct sound improvement immediately, but Y-ear-MMV).
    - slow&alive / quicknthedead

I was taught to think the next week or month or year will only get better than it is today. So I just keep waiting to see how great it will get! --- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Guitars:
    Yamaha FG-180 {1978 Acoustic}, Wechter Pathmaker {Acoustic/Electric}, Fender Stratocaster {DiMarzio- (2) DP188 Pro Track [Neck & Mid], (1) DP182 Fast Track-2 [Bridge]}, Greg Bennett Samick Torino TR1

Pedals:
    Budda Wah...Chicago Iron Octavian+…HumphreyAudio Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer...Danelectro Fish & Chips Equalizer...Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive... Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive…Fulltone Deja MiniVibe...Marshall Regenerator Stereo Modulation… Marshall Echohead Digital Delay... Marshall Relector Reverb...Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Amp:
    Fender Super Champ XD, Fender Mustang II, Roland Micro Cube
    Weber 50W Mini Mass Attenuator

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the mods that EJ does are really common sense.

The "removing the rear cavity cover" trick has been around since at least the 70's. Dunno how it works but it does.

Removing the paint under the trem plate lets the bridge transfer the strings vibrational energy directly to the guitar's body.

Removing the paint under the pick guard lets the guitar vibrate more easily.

Cleaning up the neck cavity makes the sounds travel to/through the neck more easily.

Bone nuts are a proven item.

Etc, etc, etc.

I'm currently doing all of the mods to my EJ Strat but I started out by installing a Callaham trem assy. Thats another item that I was warned, would yield no results. WRONG!!! The hi-zoot trem makes for a much better sounding/playing instrument.

I really had my eyes opened when my dealer loaned me his personal 60th Anniversary Strat and it turned out to be the best instrument that I've ever played. He cherry picked the best Strat that came through the shop and then did the usuall mods,. added a titanium trem assy and ended up with an amazing guitar and some of the botique instriments are very fine too and don't cost any more mullah.
    Last edited by Mymindsok; October 25th, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12