Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
For all the meannes it can bring, the Lester has a sweet side, too, when played by the likes of Caldwell or Dickey Betts
Oh man! I can't believe I forgot Dickey Betts! He was the primary inspiration behind my most recent Les Paul purchase - a beautiful Epi '56 Reissue Goldtop w/ P-90's. Dickey's country-fused tone and less-is-more approach have both been major influences to my own style, esp. these last few years. A lot of folks ramble on and on about Duane's playing (and rightfully so), but Dickey's style provided the perfect counterpoint to his, and as such, the Allmann sound still continues to be a primary component of the rock n' roll sound to this very day. As for Toy Caldwell and his work with the Marshall Tucker Band - yet another glowing example of country-fused rock / blues. Nice call on both of those, Kat!

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
It's funny, I don't own a Les Paul, but when I play one (or one of its many clones), it tends to bring out the more melodic side to my playing...
And so, my advice to you: Don't let that magic get away. Who knows where it will lead . . .