Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Calling all Lesmeisters!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Lesmeisters!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Calling all Lesmeisters!

And what's this? ZERO activity on the Gibson section of the form since . . . *gasp* . . . MAY 30TH? My six-string brothers, that's over a MONTH! Such a travesty. Seems to me that this happened a little while back on the Stratocaster section of the forum, and it was Nelskie's Guitar 911 that responded to this rock n' roll emergency. As happy as I am to see folks posting pictures, and enjoying discussion about fantastic Fender guitars, I'm once again completely amazed of the need to once again resuscitate a most-important thread.

Many a guitar legend have called upon this slab of six-stinged perfection to create some of the most amazing music ever created. Clapton. Page. Bloomfield. Green. Townshend. Allmann. Kossof. Zappa. Moore. Rossington. Collins. Perry. Schon. The Reverend. Frehley. Frampton. Knopfler. Sholz. Slash. Wylde. These are but a few players who have made their mark with a trusty Les Paul slung over their shoulder.

Myself, I was fortunate to have crossed path with an Epiphone sunburst model Les Paul way back in 1990. Sixteen years later, when I need to bring the mojo, there's only one guitar I reach for - my Epi Les Paul.

I've owned lots of guitars in the (23) years I've been playing. But I can honestly say that there is only one instrument that made me feel like a real, honest-to-goodness rock star - my Les Paul. Fretters, THIS guitar is what rock n' roll is all about! Bad-a$$, in-your-face, let's-get-it-on rock n' roll!

How about it, fellow Lesmeisters? You got game? Let's see / hear about it!

Post Thanks / Like

You know, its very timely that you posted this thread... While I was reading it, CMT was doing a special on the 20 Greatest Southern Rock Songs. Toy Caldwell was layin' it down on his Les Paul, with the bittersweet lines of "Can't You See" wafting through the air with all the profound sadness that lost love can bring.

For all the meannes it can bring, the Lester has a sweet side, too, when played by the likes of Caldwell or Dickey Betts. It's funny, I don't own a Les Paul, but when I play one (or one of its many clones), it tends to bring out the more melodic side to my playing...

Beautiful guitar, man!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    For all the meannes it can bring, the Lester has a sweet side, too, when played by the likes of Caldwell or Dickey Betts
    Oh man! I can't believe I forgot Dickey Betts! He was the primary inspiration behind my most recent Les Paul purchase - a beautiful Epi '56 Reissue Goldtop w/ P-90's. Dickey's country-fused tone and less-is-more approach have both been major influences to my own style, esp. these last few years. A lot of folks ramble on and on about Duane's playing (and rightfully so), but Dickey's style provided the perfect counterpoint to his, and as such, the Allmann sound still continues to be a primary component of the rock n' roll sound to this very day. As for Toy Caldwell and his work with the Marshall Tucker Band - yet another glowing example of country-fused rock / blues. Nice call on both of those, Kat!

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    It's funny, I don't own a Les Paul, but when I play one (or one of its many clones), it tends to bring out the more melodic side to my playing...
    And so, my advice to you: Don't let that magic get away. Who knows where it will lead . . .

Post Thanks / Like

i just got my first les paul...a 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special SL. It is a rare spearmint green color with p100's. The guitar is completely stock and i am going to keep it that way.

I love the sound of this guitar, especially through my peavey classic 20.

ww

Last edited by warren0728; July 11th, 2006 at 06:23 PM. Reason: editing guitar specs
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Fabulous guitar, Warren. That Peacock Green is just awesome, esp. with the standard top & black P-90's. BTW - where you been hidin'?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is a sweet looking green LP! And P-100's - cool! Never played a guitar with those. Nice tone I bet!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    How about it, fellow Lesmeisters? You got game? Let's see / hear about it!
    Now, this is really weird! To wit:

1. I was thinking exactly the same thing today, noting all the Fender activity of late, and the last thread in the Gibson forum was bemoaning quality problems. Not exactly a stellar showing! I thought to myself, "Geez, somebody should start a Show-us-your-LP thread..."
    2. Next, I read Kat's posting about Toy Caldwell playing "Can't You See?", when I just bought the Marshall Tucker Band anthology CD yesterday and played along with that tune for the first time in probably 25 years.
    3. When I open up this thread & start reading it, I'm in the process of jamming along to the live version of "Whipping Post" from the bonus live CD that comes with the "deluxe" version of "Eat a Peach". So I've literally got Duane wailing in one ear and Dickey in the other, while reading their names in the thread!
    4. Yesterday, I exchange PM's with Warren and he shoots me those same pix of his gorgeous new Green-with-a-capital-G LP Special.
    So with all that incredible coincidence swirling around me, here's a couple of pix of my beloved Epi Elitist LP Standard. The smoke & sparks from all that Allman Bros. jammin' doesn't seem to have left any permanent marks!

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    where you been hidin'?
    not hiding...just took a break
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Nice tone I bet!
    oh yeah....completely different tone than any of my other guitars!

i am really lovin it.

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice guitar Warren! That green color is awesome
    I bet that there is a little fella at your house that intends to "borrow" this guitar a lot.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Not a Gibson, but this is the Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul from 1974 that I unfortunately sold a couple of years ago... It had a maple neck which gave it a slightly different sound than the rosewood variants.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Warren – Nice looking guitar. Green is my favorite color by the way. I think that color would really stand out on any stage. Looks like Nelskie has already named her for you: “Peacock”. It kind of has a ring to it
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks tim...i've been working on a name....green meany is one idea but since i got it from a friend of mine during my trip to nyc to see etta james and susan tedeschi at carnegie hall....i was thinking of working a nyc theme into it...

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Swede - That Ibanez looked awesome. I'll bet it played well, too!

Warren - How about "The Mean Green Blues Machine" ? Beautiful guitar, man! You are building up quite a nice collection...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Warren – Why not put the two together. Read the pilot description. Sounds like she (the guitar) might fit the part as the main character as the sultry seductress.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movie...ml?v_id=103847
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

You got your Gibson Warren sweet! *2 thumbs up*
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Alright here is my 20 year old Gibson Les Paul. Again for those that don't know the history I got it at a local shop for practically free....($250 cash after a little bartaring). The guitar was sitting in a shop in another part of town from the store it originally sat in. That particular store burned in a fire and a lot of their inventory was destroyed...some of it was salvageable. Is that spelling right? In fact I remember seeing this guitar on the rack when it came into that store brand new before the fire. Despite it's history (which I think is very cool and adds a bunch to the mojo level) the guitar plays wonderfully and has no problems at all. Intonation is good, guitar keeps it's tune and the neck is strong and true. The only concern I've had which I told Nelskie about was the exposed headstock joints which are 3 pieces of mahogany as you will see on the pics. So far it's held up and plays like a new guitar!

Here's a shot of the bottom of the guitar where it took a DING from falling off the wall hanger during the store fire. There is some finish cracking at the pots and some discoloration on the body. Also a few other dings made by me.

Attachment 347

This is the headstock from the back. You can see how the nitro finish has been burned some from the wall hanger at the neck. The other side is burned the same way. You can also see a finish gouge/crack that has so far held up...apparently cosmetic only.

Attachment 348

Here is the back of the guitar. If you look closely you can see many many little dings and discoloration. Some is from the fire but also some is from being played over the years.

Attachment 349

The headstock is an interesting sight. You can clearly see the 3 pieces of mahogany that are glued to form the headstock. When I got the guitar most of the nitro finish was still on there but there was some peeling that had occured. Over the course of 20 years it has peeled even more. You can also notice dings all around the headstock from being played. I've played this guitar in bars, backyard parties and one decent sized concert hall. Plus all the time playing it at home and at friend's homes.

Attachment 350

Here's the front of the body. I brightened up the photo some for view but in real life the color is actually a cream color. It was originally Alpine White I believe...

Attachment 351
    Last edited by tone2thebone; September 8th, 2006 at 01:58 PM.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    You got your Gibson Warren sweet! *2 thumbs up*
    yes i did! Man that les paul of yours has definately got some mojo working!! Perfect for playing those "hot licks". Thanks for the pics.

ww

Post Thanks / Like

I been relooking at yours Warren and I really love that green color and the black pups and pickguard. Have a name for it yet? I used to name my guitars too...my old 70s LP that was stolen was named "Judy". *smiles*

SS - This guy I knew had one of those Ibanez LPs. It was cream colored like the way mine is now and it had the maple neck. It was really a cool looking guitar and he played it through a Carvin half stack.

Great Les Paul pics you guys. I love my Fenders but I'll always turn to my Les Paul. One of these days I REALLY would like a Gibson Custom Shop '58 reissue or a '60 reissue. A '59 reissue is still way more than I would pay unless I won a lottery or something. I hope to have my Nashville Gibson Studio for another 20 more years....maybe even 50 years more!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast