Thread: Different kind of gig...

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Different kind of gig...

A lady just called me and told me she wants me to play guitar for a birthday party. I said I'm not that great of a singer but she doesn't care - just guitar is fine she says. Hmm.... I've never played only guitar for a gig. I'm not a fingerstyle player, but I said yes to the gig.

Now, what the heck should I play!? Any suggestions?

I'll be doing some SRV and some Chuck Berry songs, but please give me tips any song you think would work for a "guitar-only" gig!

I'll probably attempt some vocals on some songs anyway, if I can get away with it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Some selections off of Pat Boone: In a Metal Mood could work...

What style of music is she wanting you to play? Is she wanting you to be like a featured act, or to play more background stuff while the party goes on around you?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Robert
    This is a really good excuse to get either a Boss Loop Station or the Digitech Jam Man Looper. You can play rythym and sing while in the record mode then play an instrumental over what you just recorded when you trigger the pedal. Makes it so you have to come up with fewer songs for the gig by letting you j a m o u t a l i t t l e l o n g e r.

Got GAS?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

She wants blues, rock, country, roots, whatever! Not metal or loud stuff, more like background music while they have drinks and socialize I think.

Spud, I was thinking that too. Would be cool to have a laptop loaded with backing tracks and jam to that. Those loop machines sure look like fun!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert - how about some surf music?!!! Whenever my jam crew and I fire up "Pipeline" and "Walk Don't Run" (the versions by the Ventures), everyone is immediately into it. Add a Strat, your Vox's Tweed 4 x 10 setting, a little tremelo, crank up the reverb, and you're ready to "hang 10"!!

Post Thanks / Like

Robert that sounds like fun .. loops and jam tracks are a slipery slope , and for god's sake dont be tempted to lip sync , look what it did to ashley simpsons career ..lol.... 6S9L
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Sure helps if I knew those Ventures songs! I have about 30 minutes to get ready after work, including packing up and get dressed! No time to learn any new stuff...

Thanks 6s9l, I'll be careful, I don't wanna end up like Ashley Simpson!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Sure helps if I knew those Ventures songs! I have about 30 minutes to get ready after work, including packing up and get dressed! No time to learn any new stuff...
    Had I known that your gig was less than a day away, I probably wouldn't have made that suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Robert. I'm thinking of exploring a little duo or trio coffee house type gig in the future. Similar situation, mostly background. Quite different from our current rockin' beerhouse stuff :-)
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

So, how did the gig go? What did you end up playing?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Myles Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 6STRINGS 9LIVES
    Robert that sounds like fun .. loops and jam tracks are a slipery slope , and for god's sake dont be tempted to lip sync , look what it did to ashley simpsons career ..lol.... 6S9L
    Well lets be honest, do lip sync, just don't get caught. You don't really think that people can dance around a stage for 4 hours and sing

I'd think that you'd need to have some version of happy birthday ready to play and god help you probably the bird dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert - Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.