Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Michael Kelly Patriot

Thread: Michael Kelly Patriot

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Michael Kelly Patriot

Well, the Hagstrom Viking isn't in yet. So, before my guitar teaching started, I had a few minutes to try a Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow and it impressed me.

It sounds great! It has hotter pickups than I usually use, but maybe I should get this guitar. I got some very nice and fat rock tones out of it, and the neck felt really good. I compared it to a Swede, which also felt great but it did not sound as good through the Vypyr I tested them on.

Hmm, decisions, decisions... if you are looking for a cool humbucker guitar a notch better than most others in this price range, take a close look at these guitars.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, looks nice, but I say hold out and try the Vik first!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Hmm, looks nice, but I say hold out and try the Vik first!
    You really like your Viking, don't you SVL? I can't blame you, it looks lush! And since I got my Aria Pro II ES-335 copy, I've been lovin' it! They are very versatile guitars indeed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yah, that I do. I was just saying to Spud on the phone today that between my strat and the Vik, I have a lot of ground covered sonically. Both very versatile.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Total guitar magazine in the UK reviewed the patriot a few months ago and raved about it! Looks like a real bargain if you want a LP style axe.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

It thought it was just amazing for that price. It felt and sounded like an expensive instrument. Very nice.

With this guitar, I would be able to coax out some cool humbucker rock tones that I don't do at the moment, due to my single coil guitars. The Viking is great too, just a different flavor - not as "rocky" so to speak.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Be true to your 80s roots, Robert. You need a shredder!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Kelly guitars were rebranded former OLP Group importers (now retired) and bought out by Hanser Music Group importers of Hebron, KY., along with B.C. Rich, Davitt & Hanser, Kustom Amps, & Traben Bass.
    You can get all of the same guitar models from dozens of small-time importers, mom&pop B&M's, and eBayers.
    They all come out of the same Chinese & Korean plank-mills and branded to suit the importer's stable line.
    Should be able to shop around for some good lowball prices.

Post Thanks / Like

The Viking should sound mostly Jazz , Blues & Light rock while the Patriot is probably more like an LP with much more Rock tone,
    but i guess it could be versatile just like the LP is..

So , depends on if you re into Rock or Bluesy stuff....

It s up to you Rob
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I'm into both! Man, I see a lot of guitars in my future...

Post Thanks / Like

You re right many guitars to come but now i think you re in the humbucker process ,should be fun for you to apply your formidable technic on these big PUs..

Don t know if you saw this thread yesterday , this guy seems to enjoy humbuc..

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10052
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I think those Kustom amps might be something to check out too, I have played on one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the Kelly guitar again today, and dang, I might have to buy this thing! It rocks.

Check http://www.patriotblack.com - a pretty cool website.
    Last edited by Robert; January 16th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

WHOA! That is a distortion machine. Take that one to Nashville Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

noooo, bring the suhr! It can clean and metal .
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is the review Lev talked about?

http://www.guitar.co.uk/documents/2703/2703.pdf

This is the Patriot Custom model. The one I've tested is the Patriot Shadow.