Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must be getting old - I forget words now

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Must be getting old - I forget words now

When I'm typing messages here on the Fret, I forget words. Words like "if", "not", "when", etc, are often strangely missing when I read a post I just added, so I have to go back and fix, sometimes more than once!

Leaving out "not" kinda changes the whole message.... not good

Does this happen to you, or am I going slightly mad?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

:-) Have to go back always after posting. Call me Mr Edit! I think it's just normal Robert. As long as you don't forget any guitar licks there's no reason why you should worry
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when you have to remember Swedish, Canadian, AND English . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a serious case of CRS!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,

I'm the worst one for that! I'll go back and re-read something that I've posted and find all kinds of mistakes. I don't know if it's from getting older or just trying to type too fast, but I do it all the time.

I find that I also forget names too - don't know why but I've always been bad with remembering names.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

It happens to me all the time too
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, you're not alone. Sometimes I try and type something like 'this is completely different from before' but it'll come out as 'this is completely from before', yet, whenever I proofread my messages before posting them, I completely gloss over the fact that a word as long 'different' is missing. . . Two/three-letter words are easy to miss, but how can you miss a word as comparatively long as 'different'?

I guess I'm getting old, too :P

Post Thanks / Like

Robert

That's really just a sign of gear loss. The quick cure is to get a Hagstrom and then it just goes away.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    I find that I also forget names too - don't know why but I've always been bad with remembering names.
    This isn't necessarily an age-related issue. Your brain, as I'm sure you well know, is divided into two hemispheres, each of which controls different aspects of your logic, personality, and actions. Now, I can never remember which side does which, but it's said that one hemisphere will be better at abstract concepts (i.e. creativity) and one better at more 'scientific' applications (i.e. cold-hard facts)

So, it's said that if you tend to remember faces well then you are a creative person. This is because a face is an abstract form (in that it can change), and recognition of this is indicative of a better 'understanding' so-to-speak of concepts that can change and your ability to recognize the similarities between the old and new. For example, you can go to school with someone when you are 10, and meet them 20 years later in the grocery store and still recognize them.

Now, on the other hand, if you remember names well, then you are likely to be more adept at remembering set-in-stone facts, because a name changes far less often than a face does. This would make you more 'scientific', because it means you can remember chunks of data more easily. Accountants and mathematicians tend to fall under this category - although with the latter, the most successful of which are said to be very creative individuals as well (i.e. Einstein).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow is this a topic that hits close to home.

A few nights agao I was playing at a open mic and blanked on the words to a tune I've been playing for decades. :

Usual strategy, repeat a previous verse, get to the bridge and press on. Situation normal, virtually no one noticed.

In St. Pete the avenues run East-West. The streets North-South. Both are numbered, 9th st. 9th ave for example. I am always forgetting which is which, looking around going "where the he** am I".
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    When I'm typing messages here on the Fret, I forget words. Words like "if", "not", "when", etc, are often strangely missing when I read a post I just added, so I have to go back and fix [it,]
    There, I caught that one for you. Yeah, it happens to me too. But I am not sure it is age. There is the excuse of 40 something "sometimers" disease, but as compared to only a few years ago, our brains have to handle so much more data wherever we go. There is always a screen on pumping data at us these days, and our cell phones, that most of us didn't even have 10-15 years ago, now hit us with email, internet, texts, etc. Internet too. Though I had a computer at work since the late 80's, it was not giving me information from anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 websites at the same time I was trying to work on it back then. (That is why I am trying to come here during the work day only on breaks now) I wonder if our brains don't start "speedtyping" sometimes, like when you learn to skip over connector or otherwise less necessary words when you are reading.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

-30 C temperature are nt good for the human veins or maybe you should have a check up with your doc..
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

SVL, wow, I missed one again... makes me wonder how many left out words I miss altogether... I obviously miss some even when I double-checking. I'm a sad case.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

SVL, wow, I missed one again... makes me wonder how many left out words I miss altogether... I obviously miss some even when I [am] double-checking. I'm a sad case.

Sorry, I just had to

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, you must have one of those toxic Suhrs.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about it. You're probably just getting ahead of yourself when typing, or distracted by other thoughts and things to do during the day.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage

Sorry, I just had to
    Oh, man, that mistake was NOT intentional! Honestly. I need to slow down.

Post Thanks / Like

SVL, wow, I missed one again... makes me wonder how many left out words I miss altogether... I obviously miss some even when [I'm] double-checking. I'm a sad case.
    Got you covered here too bro.:

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

No worry. Most filler words are unnecessary. Readers understand the intent, that's what counts. We're not writing term papers here.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast