Thread: the united states of america

Post Thanks / Like

Default the united states of america

i was just watching one of their videos for lump and didn't see a bassist. i think i heard it in the song though. I have seen them live but that was couple years ago. so i dont remember whether or not they had one. anyone know whether or not they have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From Wiki:

Instruments

Ballew and Dederer/McKeag respectively play a basitar and guitbass, which are regular, six-string guitars modified to use two strings (for bass) or three strings (for guitar). The original idea came from Morphine frontman Mark Sandman, with whom Ballew had previously worked.
    Guitars modified in this way use heavy-gauge strings for a heavier sound and are normally tuned in Drop D, though the Presidents play half a step lower in C#. For a basitar, the strings are placed in the D and A positions; on a guitbass, the strings are placed in the A, D, and G positions.
    Finn's drum kit is by a small company, and his cymbals are a variety of Sabians.

So there are bass parts, but played untraditionally on modded guitars. Those guys are fun. This is one of my favorites:
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the quick reply. didnt even realise he was playing a sitar let alone a basitar