Thread: Which Student Classical Guitar?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Student Classical Guitar?

Well, I am really looking more and more into these Classical Nylon's... Reading reviews and drooling over pictures I have it down to a few.. If anyone has any hands on experience with any of these please let me know.. I want something under $1000.00 with Solid Spruce top, Solid Rosewood Back and sides.. Ebony Fret board with the 650mm scale.. what I found is just a few..some with plywood/laminate Rosewood back and sides...

1. Aria AC80
    2. Alhambra 4p
    3. Yamaha CG171S

thanks for opinions and suggestions.

Ofcourse my dream guitar would be a Martin Willie Nelson Trigger re-issue but that ain't gonna happen any time soon...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

If Willie would put out a signature relic model ala Fender's Jeff Beck Broadcaster (or was it a Nocaster?), then I'd scoop it up in a second. I forget what the specs are, had it in a magazine somewhere awhile back, but it is a one of a kind custom - something to do with the amp/pickup combination as well as the fact that it is a classical body strung with steel strings (cured with beer, whiskey and smoke) - all giving it that very distinctive Willie tone.

But that's a wee bit on the commercial side for ol' Willie don't ya think? If I find the background on ol' Trigger I'll post it for y'all.

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Oh there is a Willie Nelson Re-issue... http://www.harmony-central.com/Event...in/N-20WN.html just a bit over my budget... he actually uses Nylon Strings... and has a baldwin pickup in the guitar.. ofcourse he only paid $700 for his... I got one video of him while he uses a Green Strat... and it don't sound like ole willie.. glad he doesnt leave home without his horse often...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off Topic - More Willie

hmmm... maybe I was wrong about the steel strings, but thought I heard or read that somewhere I also thought that he uses a pick (in combination with fingerstyle) and that's why the top is all hammered to pieces Am I wrong about that too?

Just when you think you know it all... I've only had one opportunity to see him live (last summer). Hope he comes through our way again... it was an awesome show!

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

He does use a pick on that wonderfull Classical..

1. Aria AC80
    2. Alhambra 4p
    3. Yamaha CG171S

Any other models to check out?