Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Advice for eBay selling

Thread: Advice for eBay selling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice for eBay selling

OK, this is all hypothetical at this point, but I'd like to ask you eBayers for some advice. I've bought stuff on eBay, but never sold. If I'd want to sell my Fender and I'd want to get $400 for it (don't know if that's possible, but stay with me here), how would I list it? Would I want to set a reserve price at $400? I know that if I don't set a reserve or anything I'm obligated to sell it at whatever it goes for. Thoughts?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    OK, this is all hypothetical at this point, but I'd like to ask you eBayers for some advice. I've bought stuff on eBay, but never sold. If I'd want to sell my Fender and I'd want to get $400 for it (don't know if that's possible, but stay with me here), how would I list it? Would I want to set a reserve price at $400? I know that if I don't set a reserve or anything I'm obligated to sell it at whatever it goes for. Thoughts?
    set it at the lowest you would accept.

you could do it this way

"Buy it Now: $400

your reserve (obviously hidden) $335
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Put a BIN for $450- $500
    And a best offers underneath

Fixed Price
    You list your items at a set price, so buyers can purchase immediately (no bidding).

You may also include the Best Offer option in your Fixed Price listings. This enables you to consider offers from buyers who will name their best price.

Quantity: Offer one or multiple items for sale at the Buy It Now price anytime during the listing.

Where: Your listing appears in the eBay category (or categories) you choose and in search results.
    3, 5, 7, 10, or 30 days, or Good 'Til Cancelled.

Note: Good 'Til Cancelled renews automatically every 30 days until the item sells or you end the listing. Insertion fees charged every 30 day period.
    Insertion Fee to list

Final Value Fee charged

See fees for more information
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know - the hidden reserve has always bugged me - if someone has a minimum, I'd just as soon know up front and then if I still am interested, I'll bid. Maybe I'm missing some kind of psychology there... When I've really had a bottom line price I want, I've always just set the initial bid at that price, or close to it. In that case, I've often found that you don't get bids till late in the process, so it can be a bit nerve wracking, but if that's your lowest price, you'll see if someone is willing to pay it. You can always re-list if it doesn't go.

As suggested by Mudcat, you can also set a Buy it Now price at a few bucks higher than your starting bid, too.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's better to set a starting price rather than set a reserve. That's what I did when I sold the Daytona 500 tickets I had on eBay.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Set the starting price to $400 and maybe a BIN price at $425?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Set the starting price to $400 and maybe a BIN price at $425?
    That's pretty much what I did with that Nashville Tele I sold recently. Set a $400 reserve (minumum I'd accept) and a Buy It Now price of $450. Ended up getting $410. The BIN disappears when the reserve price is met, unless you set it up as a BIN-only auction (in which case, there's no separate reserve).
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt,

If you are wanting to make sure you pocket $400....then you have to make sure you cover Ebay and Paypal Fees. If it sells for $400 then your ebay fees (listing and final value) will come to about $30...so you are down to $370 and then about $25 for paypal...so you are down to $355

In other words...if you want to net $400.....sell it for about $450-$500
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

have you considered craig's list? free listing and no fees....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the eBay fee calculator - http://ebcalc.com/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Craigslist isn't a bad idea. I never use reserve prices when I sell on Ebay and I refuse to bid on anything that has a reserve price. It's a waste of the buyer's time. I don't see anything wrong with setting your minimum bid at the least amount you would accept. As was already stated, be aware of the fees you will pay.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    have you considered craig's list? free listing and no fees....
    Just one thing to be careful of on Craig's List--scammers. I tried listing my Nashville Telecaster on the Albany NY area Craig's List, and I got response after response from scammers. These clowns all have the same line--they're always from out of town, generally claim to be traveling on business or on vacation, but really want the item s-o-o-o badly. They will pay you (often more than your asking price, for your "trouble") with a money order and arrange to have the item picked up by a shipper as soon as you've received & cashed the MO. If you fall for this, the guitar gets shipped to some generic receiving location, and a week or two later, your bank gets notified that the MO was a fake, and debits your account accordingly. Voila! No guitar, no money, and no chance of recovering either. So if you go with Craig's List, insist on a face-to-face, cash transaction. This will eliminate 99% of the scams.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    So if you go with Craig's List, insist on a face-to-face, cash transaction. This will eliminate 99% of the scams.
    absolutely....and that's what i like about craig's list....local transactions....no shipping....
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm beginning to get the feeling that this just isn't going to be worth the effort.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm beginning to get the feeling that this just isn't going to be worth the effort.
    list it on craig's list and see what happens....i got my super champ xd and my prs on craig's list....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    list it on craig's list and see what happens....i got my super champ xd and my prs on craig's list....
    My only issue with Craig's List is that I live in a tiny town. Green Bay is 1/2 hour away. I guess I wouldn't have anything to lose.

Post Thanks / Like

My only issue with Craig's List is that I live in a tiny town. Green Bay is 1/2 hour away. I guess I wouldn't have anything to lose.
    exactly....and you could arrange to meet half way if someone is interested....only 15 minutes for both....

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any experience with craig'slist, so I can't comment, but mrmudcat and Robert both offer good advice. Set a BIN price at a higher, but not unrealistic, level and set your starting price at the minimum you'd take. I, like others, despise a "reserve price". I refuse to bid on something with a reserve, unless it's something I really like and I'll play around to see what it'd take (usually, I'm low-balling just to "test the waters".)

Kazz is right though, between eBay's and Paypal's fees, you'll lose a chunk of change, so set your starting price accordingly. If you're flexible with your minimum price, you might want to try the "make an offer" mentioned by mrmudcat.

Good luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just set it as buy it now with no auction-that's the price I'm selling it for-
    http://www.soundclick.com/sacco
    http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Reverend of Rock n Roll .

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.