Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you improve in 2008?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How did you improve in 2008?

Curious minds demand to know....

I don't know if I improved... but if I did, it's because of getting my Suhr fix. That guitar makes all warm and fuzzy inside, every time I pick it up.
    :

:
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats again on your Suhr Rob, hopefully my nu amph will help me improving, too. What happened in 2008 for me was I was able to slow down and put more patience in learning licks. Furthermore I have re-learnd some stuff, like for e.g. some SRV and Hendrix licks. By relearning I mean I have learned them more detailled. I also improved in playing outside the box through your licks Robert. I have studied some of your chromatic licks and integrated then in my play - remember the steal licks from good players theory? I did so :-) Then I once asked you about a scale you played and you told me it was the wholetone/halftone/diminished something scale. I have learned to play exotic sounding licks, although I am still not able to play them automatically from the heart, I feel that I am only steps away from "feeling" these licks naturally to be my licks! A big change was my equipment change. I was more courageous than ever and sold a ton of stuff. I think my new equipment opens a lot of doors. My phrasing improved, because I listen more to other players and don't start jamming straight away. In 2008 I have finished the metal project, founded the new and great working blues band and have played the music for two tv trailers, currently I am writing a child musical whcih I already started in 2008, so I guess my work organization for all musical stuff and my songwriting improved. :
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Stealing from good players - can't be stealing from me then!

What you said was interesting though. Listening is a task many guitar player skimp on. It is soooo important. Many of us just want to plug in and rip it up, but that's not always the best idea...

I'll be happy to share more outside licks in 2009, if anyone is interested. I really need to make some videos with the diminished, melodic minor and altered scales. Those rokk.
    Last edited by Robert; January 19th, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot the "s' in scales.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Stealing from good players - can't be stealing from me then!

I'll be happy to share more outside licks in 2009, if anyone is interested. I really need to make some videos with the diminished, melodic minor and altered scale. Those rokk.
    Understatement is one of your great qualities Robert! Videos of that scale would definitely rock. They would really help me, as I listen closely to all of your stuff and learn a lot from your licks.
    Listening is the key to improve!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Did you buy a Suhr, Robert? I must have missed that

I've had a year of trading effects only to realise (again) that I'm just not much of an effects user. See below for what works for me. This rig gets me six usable tones with judicious use of the guitar volume and the amp's boost to balance the levels and is a single carry from the car. Apart from that it's just a question of getting out and playing. Oh, and I rediscovered my strat. That's been good :
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I have spent more time working on changing chords, picking without looking at my fingers or strings, and watched a lot of free lessons on the net. I know that my being on The Fret has helped me greatly just by the information shared and on line friends. The member clips are inspiring, the songs that Shiner & CB have completed mean so much , as do all the videos Rob and MarkB have posted. My speed has picked up, my knowledge of amp settings has improved and my committment to learn more about playing has grown.
    Thanks to all for 08.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, from my "In My Dreams" solo project, my speed has definitely improved, at least when it comes to playing dexterity exercises. Actually, I know that my left-right hand coordination has improved. Of course, it had (and still has) a long way to go.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I have had some setbacks this year .09 will be harder still with all thats going on with moving and rehabbing my arm.One thing is im off the meds!! (pure evil)

I am hoping by xmas to be on track,hopefully with a studio in house.
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten a lot better at being able to pick out melody lines to songs. It's been fun trying to figure out how to play a lot of the children's songs my wife sings to Ella. Once I learn the melody I can figure out the chords and then I can begin to assemble my own versions of these songs. That has been most rewarding.

I also began to develop two original pieces that I intend to continue fleshing out in the months to come. They are my two first original compositions. One is for my wife, the other for my daughter. I hope to work much more on them in 2009 and record them. I will be sure to post them here when I do so I can get from feedback from all of you.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Have expanded the list of tunes done in alternate/open tunings.

Improved (marginally so but I'll take it) my confidence level playing in front of a crowd. I continue to do the open mic thing with varying levels of competence. Last week was a mess, but I'm going for another go on thursday.

Like R_of_G have entered the realm of songwriting. I have played four originals at the above noted open mic nights. One other is close to ready and I have a few more in the idea stage.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    One thing is im off the meds!!
    BRAVO bro!

Post Thanks / Like

people learn in unique ways...

and need teachers/options to fit that uniqueness.

i found mine. and he started to unlock the da Vinci code of the guitar for me. i started also personally studying theory on my own, in addition to what my new teacher is providing.

thank you, Street; what you said was very kind. we plan to share more music this year. i have one that i'm working on right now.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    BRAVO bro!

Thank you brother ,that means alot!! 240-300MG of oxycontin a day was a joke and a biatch to D.T. cold turkey from(about 25 days now but whos counting im done )

It had to be done if im ever going to stop the self made pity party and cowboy up and create again:

If arm fails, ill still be able to lap steel on my supros:

Robert if this post falls into the rules violations ill surely edit it:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent thread. I don't know if I've improved much but I did a few things differently this year.

For one, I took guitar lessons again, and my teacher turned out to be a "jamming" friend more so than a teacher, so we were getting together for a while and doing some playing. He's trained in jazz and theory so it posed a bit of a challenge. Also, I started using backing tracks to jam to which really made me focus outside my comfort zone a bit.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

2008 was a good year for me. I learned how to fix guitars, make them, solder them up with rad mods, and purdy 'em up and what-not.

Playing-wise, well, I've learned a lot at the Institute thus far (back to school tomorrow!) and it's really hard to pick chose from them, but I'd say one would be the fluent use of microtonal bends in blues, and another would be a more solid awareness of my picking in 'real time'.

My main goal for '09 is to learn more relationships between scales/modes and chords so I can improv competently over jazz progressions. That, and to get better at singing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Oh, and I rediscovered my strat. That's been good :
    As it will be when you rediscover your tele.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you Muddy. Just remember you have a lot of friends pulling for you.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Good for you Muddy. Just remember you have a lot of friends pulling for you.
    + 1... million...
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Keep up the good work Muddy! We're all pulling for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast