Thread: What Economic Crisis? Famous last words...

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Economic Crisis? Famous last words...

Well in hindsight my comments to a cousin on Boxing day came back to bite me. He was asking how the "Global Economic Crisis" effected me professionally and I said "What Crisis, it's business as usual mate".

Then last Wednesday we were told out whole company is pulling out of Australia meaning everyone in our office will lose their jobs including me.

Famous last words huh.

It's a pretty big deal as the company I work for has been in the Australian IT market since the 80's, but the instability of the US dollar, followed by the Japanese crash (It's a Japanese company) and the rise and rise of Korean and Chinese brands has essentially caused us to be uncompetitive and the decision was made to shut it down.

Working in my favor is the fact that I've been here for more than 15 years, so I'm being compensated quite satisfactorily and have no immediate financial pressure. I've also worked in more than half a dozen different roles within the company so my skill set is quite diverse. Also a good thing I hope.

I'm taking this as a positive thing, forcing me to try something new, and I'm seriously considering a bit of an improv world tour to drop in on my mates OS before I look for another job. I'm also thinking of trying to hook up work somewhere OS, but thats a distant hope as I'm a little old for the standard working holiday visa (I'm looking at you Canada, 35 year old cut off? Pfft)

Anyway I'm still here for up to 2 months to help wind it all up and then my bank balance gets bigger than its ever been in my life, so whilst I am mildly freaking out, I'm pretty positive at the same time. No more guitars or amps for a little while though

(and thus ends my thread jacking of Kat's new job thread )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, sorry to hear that. I think there's a strong possibility of something similar happening to me in the not too distant future. I decided a few months ago to stop worrying about it as it's completely outside my control. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Let's hope the Obama Effect will help to lift economic confidence around the world.

How's the IT jobs market looking down under? I know a lot of folks who left Ireland over the past few years to work in IT in Australia.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Wow, sorry to hear that. I think there's a strong possibility of something similar happening to me in the not too distant future. I decided a few months ago to stop worrying about it as it's completely outside my control. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Let's hope the Obama Effect will help to lift economic confidence around the world.

How's the IT jobs market looking down under? I know a lot of folks who left Ireland over the past few years to work in IT in Australia.
    Thanks Lev, the IT market here was, until recently, quite strong and we have quite low unemployment across the board. Over the last few months though it seems all kinds of industries are feeling the pinch, so plenty of companies are laying people off. It's worst for Japanese vendors though it seems. Other areas in IT seem to feel it less.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear the bad news about your present job. I can only share what I personally have experienced. Get those resumes out as soon as possible. Send those resumes out long before your last day. It took me a year to find employment after leaving Florida to move to Pennsylvania. Remember there are thousands of others just like you looking for work. Do not plan on surviving on your compensation unless you drastically change your present way of living. This includes cutting back on the use of utilities, driving habits, going out for dinner and also controlling “GAS”. Unless you change your life style, money has a habit of disappearing very quickly when there is nothing coming in. Good luck on finding new employment. The crisis is truly worldwide. I am very thankful for what I presently have.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got the rough end of the pineapple, ChOjin...

From bad fortune comes opportunity. You may never get a chance like this again. Take your trip OS, see friends, make new ones and enjoy your unexpected holiday. She'll be right, mate....:
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you mate!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like you pointed out, your diverse set of IT skills will help you land your next job. Good luck.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Shucks, that sucks. Canada is here for you man!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you Ch0jin. My job was a recent casualty of the economic crisis and the job market is not looking promising at the moment.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bad break- enjoy your time off though, and good luck finding a new job. Sounds like you've got a lot to offer so that ought to give you a step up towards finding something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Man sorry to hear the bad news, I wish you luck in finding the right job.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you find something soon, man. If not, the US will take ya. I could have had a job immediately if I had training in the IT world.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all

I'm no closer to working out what I'm going to do, but I'm in high spirits

(Maybe official promoter for thefret gigs worldwide? hehe)

Post Thanks / Like

Aaarrgghh, Chojin - sorry to hear that, man... Glad to hear that you have some cushion while you find your new situation - best of luck!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp