Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Blackstar HT-5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackstar HT-5

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blackstar HT-5

Well, TS808 either came up with a great idea or just gave my wife grounds for divorce. Not sure which. He pointed out the Blackstar HT-5 line of amps. It's 5W, all tube, but can actually do metal. It certainly passed the grin test (does it make me grin either maniacally or like a schoolgirl). They use an unusual 12BH7 preamp tube and make it sound like it is a Class A/B amp without coming right out and saying it. It's got an speaker-emulated line-out and an effects loop. MF has the combo for $399, the head for $299, and the head with a 1x10 cab for $399. They are only available through the MF/M123/GC conglomerate in the U.S.

Somebody was kind enough to take a bunch of pictures of the outside and the guts of the head (scroll down). Anything jump out to you amph gurus?

Here's a review from Music Radar.

And the obligatory YouTube videos:

Recorded via the line-out:

Same guy, mic'd, several different guitars and styles (including a modded '51 at the end!)

And last but not least at the L.A. Amp show with PG (not the best mic'ing):

A little, affordable tube combo that can do metal.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Well , that little thing sounds big & nice on heavy ,crunch & clean settings, interesting ...
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure you check it out thoroughly. Here is a thread on a reported problem with the amp:

http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31000

I would guess that the output stage is push pull given that the amp is rated at 5W. The 12BH7 is a dual triode so it can be run in a push pull configuration.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I saw on Music Radar's forum where someone from Blackstar posted this regarding the "farty palm muting" that tung mentioned in my other thread:
    The HT-5 palm muting issue is caused by ‘mains overvoltage’. This is where the mains supply voltage varies significantly above its nominal rated value. This issue is prevalent in the UK where historically the mains voltage has been 240V rather than the standard European 230V. This is compounded by the fact that mains supplies can vary significantly locally, so some areas of the UK may be more susceptible than others. Although we always extensively test new products before their launch, this mains variance means that a minority of HT-5 users in the UK may experience the palm muting issue on units from the first production run. We have now implemented a simple modification to the HT-5 making it immune to these mains voltage fluctuations.
    Thus I'm not sure if it would even affect models for the U.S. market. At any rate, the issue seems to have been identified and fixed. If I were to get one, I'd contact Blackstar to see if there was a revision number to look for or something.

From what I've read Blackstar was founded by former Marshall people.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Just make sure you check it out thoroughly. Here is a thread on a reported problem with the amp:

http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31000
    Yeah, the thread I posted is from the same place and has the "official" solution. Unfortunately there's about 2 pages of helpful info and 13 pages of vitriol, but that's the Intarwebs for you. From the gut shots, what do you think about the construction viz a viz Blackheart or the Valve Jr.?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Thus I'm not sure if it would even affect models for the U.S. market. At any rate, the issue seems to have been identified and fixed. If I were to get one, I'd contact Blackstar to see if there was a revision number to look for or something.
    I could. If the PT is rated for 117v on the primary and your wall voltage is high like mine is (regularly over 125v) you will have the same problem. I would definitely contact Blackstar.

Yeah, the thread I posted is from the same place and has the "official" solution. Unfortunately there's about 2 pages of helpful info and 13 pages of vitriol, but that's the Intarwebs for you. From the gut shots, what do you think about the construction viz a viz Blackheart or the Valve Jr.?
    The constructions looks pretty good. The parts quality is decent, and there are no SMDs. There are lots of opamps, but that doesn't surprise me given that the amp is high gain and only has one preamp tube. One thing that gives me pause is the Molex connectors. Also the jacks and pots are PCB mount, but the PCB is mounted on six standoffs, which is good. Not having seen the amp in person, I would state that it is a close second to the Blackheart in construction, but better than the Valve Junior. The price is pretty good for the head.

I saw one in GC about a month ago, but did not have a chance to check it out. I went back the next day and it was gone

tung

Post Thanks / Like

In perusing the manual, I saw that the footswitch is supplied, which is nice, and that it is made in Korea. I don't know if that's inherently any better or worse than China.

Post Thanks / Like

In perusing the manual, I saw that the footswitch is supplied, which is nice, and that it is made in Korea. I don't know if that's inherently any better or worse than China.
    I would say right now, items made in Korea are much better quality than those made in China. China is catching up, but is not to where Korea is yet.

If Blackstar can get the bugs ironed out, this will be a killer amp.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Matt,

You might want to check out this thread.

The output stage is similar to the Blackstar's. The Blackstar uses the already mentioned 12BH7. The Firefly uses a 12AU7, which is similar to the 12BH7, but has lower ratings. I know DVM subbed in an ECC99, which is like an uprated 12BH7. Shiner built one as well. I built an eyelet board version. If you like hot rodded Marshall tones, the Firefly has it in spades.

It looks like John Calhoun still has PCBs as well.

How good are your soldering skills?

tung

Post Thanks / Like

I have been patiently waiting for local GC to get one of these to try it out
    Friend of mine who lives in IND. purchased one and through emails over the last two weeks he has done nothing but raved about this amp

Post Thanks / Like

Blackstar had a stand at MusicLive in Birmingham last year...easily the best amps there imho. (for the record, there were Marshalls there as well...)
    Sounded very good for high-gain rock/metal and pinch harmonics. :
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

That is one versatile amp, I'm very surprised at how well it sounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Found Balckstar Artisan model clips: Artisan --- 15 w - 30 w - 100 w

The guy voice sound weird but the amps sound ok..

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Looks/sounds cool, but the Artisan 15 head is $1,100 and the combo is $1,500. A little out of my price range

Post Thanks / Like

I notice that the OD channel has the same controls as the HT-Distortion pedal, hmm...

Actually I don't see that as a bad thing, I've long thought that a Fender amp with a built-in, footswitchable Tube Screamer (or similar OD) would suit me to a tee.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    I notice that the OD channel has the same controls as the HT-Distortion pedal, hmm...
    From what I understand, that pedal is essentially the preamp on that amp--or at least the basis for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, here's the text from the manual that says just about that.

The HT-5 is the ultimate studio and practice amp, packing all the great tone and
    innovative features of the award-winning HT valve pedals into a two channel,
    footswitchable valve amp format. The patent-applied-for ISF (Infinite Shape Feature)
    circuit gives you infinite adjustment over the characteristics of the tone control
    network and takes you from the USA to the UK and any where in between. So now
    you can effectively design your own tone and finally find ‘the sound in your head’.
    In making the HT-5 ideally suited to home and studio use, the aim was to develop a
    valve amp which sounded full and toneful even at the lowest volume level. With this
    in mind the Blackstar design team designed a brand new valve power amplifier
    topology. The HT-5 power amplifier is a low powered push-pull design which
    produces the crunch and break-up characteristics of a traditional 100W output stage
    but at a much lower volume. This is achieved by the use of a 12BH7 dual triode in
    push-pull configuration producing 5 watts output, which is rich in valve harmonics
    and compression.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I just sent the following email to Blackstar:
    Hello,

I've been looking for a little tube amp that can do metal distortion. Your HT-5 series seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I had read online that some of the first amps had an issue with "mains overvoltage" that would cause odd noises especially when palm muting. Has that issue been addressed? If so, I noticed that Musician's Friend in the U.S. is saying that these amps will be in stock in the middle of April. Is it safe to assume that they will have this fix applied?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    I'll post the reply if/when I get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast