Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Anybody ever hear about this brand?

Thread: Anybody ever hear about this brand?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody ever hear about this brand?

I picked up a SX 4 string bass. Looks like a fender. Actually. it looks just like one of Geddy lee's bass's. Anybody know anything about this brand? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, The SX line of guitars & basses in distributed here in the US by Rondo Music. Many excellent values available in this brand.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb57.html
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That's just the bass I have!

I wrote up a review at http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars...electric_bass/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking they get rave reviews on the TalkBass forums, except among those who can't imagine playing a bass under three grand or that doesn't have the name "Fender" on it. They're nice basses as is and are great for modding.

If you check Rondo's site at the link above I know sometimes they've had replacement necks with black block inlays so you'd REALLY get the Geddy look that way.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I currently have an SX from Rondo, and I love it.

Great sound for a $3000.00 rip.

Post Thanks / Like

SX from Rondo seem to really appeal to the more frugal connoisseur... (spelled c. h. e. a. p.) I suppose they're just worth the initial low investment cost... but that ain't sayin' much.
    Sort of, "ya get what'cha pay for deal."

I bought one you can have cheap, (but I sure wouldn't buy another!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brice basses

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Sure, The SX line of guitars & basses in distributed here in the US by Rondo Music. Many excellent values available in this brand.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb57.html
    I have and use the Brice HXB-406 6-String Nat Q. Very nice bass for the money. If you get one or any of the brice lines,replace the preamp and pickups.It makes a world of difference.I use all emgs on mine and the sound and tone is great!
    “Be brave enough to live creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. You cannot get there by bus, only by hard work, risking and not quite knowing what you are doing. What you will discover will be wonderful – yourself.”
    www.myspace.com/unisoul2008

Current gear list.
    Harkte LH 1000 amps
    Harkte Hydrive 810 cabs
    Brice Brice HXB-406 6-String Nat Q modded with EMG 40;s and 45;s and a BQC system
    Tobias toby 4 string,modded with EMG j pickups and a BTS system.
    Monster cables
    Sans amp
    Samson power protector
    Sabine rack tuner
    Various pedals (I use very little effects)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been exceeding pleased with everything I've ever bought from Rondo Music. Super great customer service too. Personally I think you get 10X what you pay for....
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

man this tiger eye Lesli is amazing....
    http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000te.html
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

pes_laul Guest

Hmm maybe this could be my anwser for a decent bass for jazz band (and other things) instead of mooching off my bass playing friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I'd consider SX/Brice basses, as I already own an Agile guitar (the analog to Brice basses). But I have a MIJ Squier P-bass and a MIM Fender Jazz, so I'm set for those styles.

And with an additional Epi T-bird (picked up for a hundred even), and Peavey USA T-40 and Fury I basses, I'm pretty much set (bar hitting the lottery and buying a Ric).

Kurt at Rondo is a square dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

The Brice's are supposedly a step up in all-round quality from the SXs.
    I'm now deciding whether to go for the 405 fretless or the 406. I like the looks of the 405 body over the larger 406, and 6 strings may be overkill, but the top on the 406 is probably a better looker and it has the dbl. truss which the current 405s no longer have. This is where on-line shopping sux, I need to have them in my hands so I can run away with them...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln
    The Brice's are supposedly a step up in all-round quality from the SXs.
    Yep, Brice and Agile are Korean-made, SX and Douglas are Chinese.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an SX fretless jazz.

It was really pretty nice for that price. The stock strings are worthless and they usually need some setup work, but after that they work well enough.

Rondo seems quite nice to work with and supports the products well.

The stock pickups are fairly decent as are the woods used. The hardware likely wouldn't last long if it was used for a lot of gigging.

With a few mods, mostly hardware and pots, they are a workable bass for a beginner or for an extra instrument to have around. For my part, I just wanted to try playing a fretless bass for cheap and it worked fine for that purpose.

If you're a serious bassist and considering getting a main player, then you need to look at something in a higher price range or a used USA Peavey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Yep, Brice and Agile are Korean-made, SX and Douglas are Chinese.
    That's very useful to know. I've been wondering about that for a while now. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    That's very useful to know. I've been wondering about that for a while now. Thanks!
    No prob. If you ever have any questions about specific models or items at Rondo, e-mail Kurt, who runs the place. He's a good guy. There's a link on the site.