Thread: my first encouter with a ES-335.

Post Thanks / Like

Default my first encouter with a ES-335.

played a ES-335 for the first time. might be my favoite guitar of all time.
    Last edited by pressthe6; January 26th, 2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: made shorter.
    Guitars: Takamine Acoustic/Elec; Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus; Fender Hwy1 Strat; Epi Dot
    Amps: Yamaha POS; Crate Vintage Club 50
    Pedals: down to a single digi rp1000 unit

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an Ibanez AS83, which was a 335-a-like. I really liked it. Gibson do a new one with a smaller body, but the same scale length, which I'd like to have a go on. It's called a 339, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only played one, I love the sound I have heard from several of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I like them because they play like a Les Paul but they have a little more bite to them. They are also great because you can get them to feedback pretty easily. I don't like them because I feel that the body is too large (I own one so don't take that personally).
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I've always considered myself a LP standard/custom/studio guy but when a friend of a friend handed me his 70s-something cherry red 335 I was instantly shocked at how light it was, how it played, and the sound that came out of it. I always thought it wouldn't have the "bite" that I liked, but my god that thing could play light, heavy and everywhere in between.

this guy had literally 115 guitars. his crown jewel was a 60s-something johnny winters firebird. he had 2 mid70s black beauties (the 2 humbucker version so I guess they're just customs), a 1937 steel dobro, a 1964? epi puke-green thing that screams, a 62? fender precision bass with a slate neck.

he handed me guitars for 2 hours. it was like disneyland and guitar center rolled into one.

oh, and a 5150 block letter EVH head, a slash model marshall, etc...

and a jam space in his basement. WTF!!!!!!!!!!
    Guitars: Takamine Acoustic/Elec; Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus; Fender Hwy1 Strat; Epi Dot
    Amps: Yamaha POS; Crate Vintage Club 50
    Pedals: down to a single digi rp1000 unit

Post Thanks / Like

I remember my first encounter with a 335 and it was 34 years ago. I'd only gone into the shop (Macari's, Charing X Road) to buy a £13 fuzzbox and that's what they handed me to try it out with. Early 60's dot neck, I think. It'd be in a glass case today.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Uh-huh... everybody should have at least one... (whether you play a guitar or not!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I love my 335 knockoff (or 355 knockoff if I listen to Oldguy), and I love it dearly. I like that it plays and rocks like a LP, but has more bite and snarl, and feedbacks so well.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, 335's are really cool guitars. I think that they are a more versatile version of the Les Paul sound. I'd love to have a real one some day.

What I love about them is that they sound really warm and bluesy when you play them through a clean amp, and they scream when you play them with a dirty sound. They also seem to respond more to your picking attack.

I had a chance to play one of those 339's recently (not for very long), and it sounded great. That's probably the one that I would get if I had a bunch of money and no worries about the economy :-)

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    I had a chance to play one of those 339's recently (not for very long), and it sounded great. That's probably the one that I would get if I had a bunch of money and no worries about the economy
    I'd like to get one too but the 339 is a special build specifically for Guitar Centers, Inc. and their evil minions, (Musician's Friend, Music123, etc.)
    They don't get my money!

(Also appears that 339 build quality is a crapshoot.)