Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Teaching A 10yr Old 1st Chords

Post Thanks / Like

A good mnemonic for the string names: Even A Donkey Got Big Ears...

Having a list of Chords in I-IV-V groupings is cool, too. That way, she knows what key a song is in, and you can work theory in that way, without it being too complicated...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe instead of chords try to teach some easy single note songs? Yesturday or such, just the melody, its quite simple and it might be even easier then chords sometimes, espesially barred chords for small kids might be hard, also house of the rising sun is what teachers teach to kids when they start playing, maybe some boogie could be easy too, I remember learing aura lee too (love me tender) lol.

PS. you can go find some midi files for them online to play with, its alot easier then with backing tracks cause its like the actual song exept with no singing also you can use programs to edit midi files to be like BT's later on, or you can just play chords for them while they play the melody, that would be nice
    Last edited by Cranium; July 14th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to be funny, but maybe if you got her one of those new Mini-Strat "Hello Kitty" models she'd be more interested?
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12