Thread: different slides

Post Thanks / Like

Default different slides

hey folks,, here are a few samples of different slide materials used on the same guitar. Not well, by any means, but a place to listen to, all the same. If I could have had, more control over the process, it would be easier to listen to. Things being what they are, I still think that it is an okay idea...

Everytime I play any tune/phrase, I play it differently. Mostly because, I do not know the way to play it in the first place.

Anyway, Hope this helps out a person looking to buy a slide?????

Steve

http://www.box.net/shared/hke7mcvmd8

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch Steve. Neat stuff and terrific playing. The slides all sound good. I definately hear the more sharp metallic tone of the metal slide. The glass slide is a bit more mellow. But I think I like the ceramic one the best. Kind of the best of both worlds.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Great post ..........sounding good brother!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Different Slides

Nice playing Steve. : That Johnson Tri-cone sounded damn good. The brass didn't sound as harsh as I would have expected. Maybe I'm remebering what a METAL slide sounded like. GLASS rules. The Moonshine slide sounded pretty decent too.
    Oh, COLORED glass for acoustics, CLEAR glass for electric.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, I am liking those sounds. I almost bought a glass slide made from a bottle at a concert a summer or so ago. I still don't have one yet. I think I could see having one of each for different sounds. Not too expensive. I really liked the metal one. Probably the ceramic one next. Thanks for doing that.

Bottom line, I really enjoyed the sound of your "wide open ignorant real deal". : :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slides

SVL......it's not a bad idea to have different slides, just to experiment with....some will sound better than others depending on the guitar you are using........let's see, I have a brass slide, a Moonshine, a Mudslide, two glass slides, a dobro steel and a Tribo-Tone "M" style bar for lap steel. Of course, when all else fails, just take the Craftsman spark-plug socket wrench and use that ala Lowell George and Rory Block. Plus, some of my slides have wider inside diameters than others because there was a time when I vacillated between using my pinky and middle finger for slide work. Finally, I went with using my middle finger.
    There's lots of sites where you can get custom made slides of any length, width, material, etc

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you all liked it,,,,,

For me, I think that the porcelin sounds best in the electric arena. But then again, why do I have the three that I mentioned and two others in the guitar closet?

Those are the ones that I chock up to education, that did not apply to what I am doing. I mean, I have one of those bare metal things that fits between your fingers. Show me one person, who knows anything about this????

Keeping in mind how the term, bottle neck, came to be used as something to do with a guitar.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve - nice playing and a great sound from that guitar......
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve206
    Glad you all liked it,,,,,

For me, I think that the porcelin sounds best in the electric arena. But then again, why do I have the three that I mentioned and two others in the guitar closet?

Those are the ones that I chock up to education, that did not apply to what I am doing. I mean, I have one of those bare metal things that fits between your fingers. Show me one person, who knows anything about this????

Keeping in mind how the term, bottle neck, came to be used as something to do with a guitar.

Steve
    One of these? Lap steel players only need apply

FWIW I use a brass slide for everything except lap where it's a bit short and lightweight.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve206
    hey folks,, here are a few samples of different slide materials used on the same guitar. Not well, by any means, but a place to listen to, all the same. If I could have had, more control over the process, it would be easier to listen to. Things being what they are, I still think that it is an okay idea...

Everytime I play any tune/phrase, I play it differently. Mostly because, I do not know the way to play it in the first place.

Anyway, Hope this helps out a person looking to buy a slide?????

Steve

http://www.box.net/shared/hke7mcvmd8
    Nice from you Steve, that sound very interesting too me your brass sounds better more heavy tone ! The glass seems too light and the ceramics has less overtones apparently is it a Moonshine ceramic ?
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Default Different Slides

This link talks about how clear slides are best for electric (because they are softer) and how the darker the slide, the more sustain for acoustic.

http://www.mrbsguitarslides.com/standard_slides.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is the gentleman (Tony Furtado) I almost bought a handmade bottle neck slide from. He played a local show and I was really impressed. There was a nice selection of different sized and shaped ones. When he comes back around, I will grab one, just to have a glass one in the herd.

Last edited by sunvalleylaw; January 30th, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Great video I can hear some inflexions of Kelly Joe phelps in his playing ! Wonderful musician thanks for the discovery :
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Default Different Slides

Tony was primarily a prolific bluegrass banjo player when he started. He put out a CD, Roll My Blues Away in1997 and that changed things. He branched out......for this CD, he played (and I write this looking at the CD booklet);...slide banjo, slide guitars, National reso banjo, Dobro Banjo,steel bodied guitar, banjo and steel stringed guitar.