Thread: Trem or Vibe? Help needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Trem or Vibe? Help needed.

Hey folks,

I am currently building up my new set up. Actually, I am looking for a kind of modulation effect. I took two effects into consideration which are the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe and the Fulltone Supa Trem. Here comes my problem....I am indecisive. On the one hand I love Hendrix as everyone knows (1+ for the Vibe) on the other hand I want to come up with something more personel instead of running the typical set up so many people run (1+ for the Trem).

The Supa Trem sounds awesome and I could imagine using it for slower ballad stuff in my blues band. It's a double windmill for me. Any suggestions from you guys? There's an auction for a Supa Trem on ebay that ends in about 8 hours, so quick suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

J75
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tremolo is great for slower stuff. You know the Cool Cat Tremolo is cheap but sounds terrific. Same for the Cool Cat Vibe, hehe!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Tremolo is great for slower stuff. You know the Cool Cat Tremolo is cheap but sounds terrific. Same for the Cool Cat Vibe, hehe!
    The Cool Cat pedals seem to be "cool" indeed, but they see mto colour the sound and to add volume when getting kicked in. Might give them a try anyways.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I think you already have the OCD, Fulltone are reliable,
    great sounding & have a good resale value..
    No hesitation , go for both ..

Suggestion :Glass nexus (Damage control)
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Cat Tremolo doesn't colour the tone at all. I love mine. There are probably other trems that are more vintage like, but try it. It's true bypass too. As for the Vibe, yes it has a small volume boost and it sure colours the tone - that's what it is supposed to do.
    Last edited by Robert; January 28th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Tremolo is one of those effects that I personally don't find much use for. A Uni-Vibe sort of thing is good for some Hendrix and Trower. There's really no way to get a Uni-Vibe sound without a Uni-Vibe pedal (or its clones). It might seem cliche, but there's a reason why it is.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I love tremolo. Listen to Oz Noy and Michael Landau. They both use tremolo often, albeit in very different ways. Bill Frisell of course needs to mentioned too.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Robert, there are many uses for tremolo. In addition to the artists he mentioned, Marc Ribot uses tremolo quite often in different projects, often in different ways always. It's an effect that has a wide variety of uses depending on the player and the project.

I think a player of your skills Jimi75 could make good use of it.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi the Mini Deja Vibe is killer go with that one.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi, IMO, vibe first, then trem next.
    It's true, there are lots of uses for trem, but for me, vibe is more useful all around.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the opposite, I use tremolo more than I use vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

I know, and you'd think with me being raised with country music I'd prefer it too, but I seem to lean towards a subtle vibe more often.
    I don't use a lot of effects often anyways, but sometimes I like to make crazy sounds just 'cause..........
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with Robert the cool cat trem. good buy and cheap spend the money get a mojo vibe

Post Thanks / Like

Another happy tremolo user here. I find vibes and chorus just a little too cloudy, stomach churning even, for my tastes. If I want subtle pitch modulation my strat's got a vibrato built in. Give it a go, it's easy enough on slower numbers. Your trem has to float though.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input and taking care of my request here.

Taking into cosideration the songs of my current band I think I go for the TREM first, although I love VIBE, too.

I think the Trem is a very underrated effect most of the new players don't appreciate.

Let me check the Danelectro Trem. The clips on their site sound very good, but I have to play and hear it in persona.

Regarding the vibe I will safe up for the Fulltone Deja Vibe. It's perfectly matches my taste.

J75

Post Thanks / Like

Vibrato.