Thread: Anyone interested in a bit more advanced jazz blues talk?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone interested in a bit more advanced jazz blues talk?

I'm working on a jazz blues backing track, and I'll soon upload it for you guys to jam on. This may be a bit more advanced stuff than I've talked about here, so just wondering if anyone would be interested in this?

I have published very few jazz clips of me playing so far, but I hope to change that.

The clip will be just drums and bass, so we can play both rhythm guitar as well as solos on top. The form will be a typical minor blues. I'll post the chord progression once I have it ready.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sure I would love it!

EDIT: meaning I would enjoy watching and learning from the talk, not that I am in any way advanced.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; January 30th, 2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Would I be interested in a jazz blues progression/discussion. . . um. . . Yeah! Bring it on, dude!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I'd certainly want to see if I can do anything with it. I have been interested in jazz for a while now, but I don't have a lot of basic knowledge and I have not been able to devote much time to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Sure I would love it!

EDIT: meaning I would enjoy watching and learning from the talk, not that I am in any way advanced.
    +1
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Sound's great to me Robert.....I'm in

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd reply in this one. . .

Nice track! I was curious what modes you were using in this one? I can only seem to hear a few different ones (in the first take - the second take's link doesn't work), but this progression seems like it could be rife with different possibilities.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I fixed the link, try again now.
    http://www.dolphinstreet.com/jazz_gu...acking_tracks/

I used mostly Dorian and Melodic Minor for the minor chords. For the C7b9 chord, I like to use the Altered scale. For the Ab7, I use the Lydian Dominant (or Eb Melodic Minor). For the G7, I use Altered scale or Diminished, starting with a half step.

I try to not just play scales though, but I probably do too much. I'm not much of a jazz guitarist really, but I have an idea what can be done. Executing it is the hard part though...

Basically, it's about playing great lines, whether you use modes and scales as helping tools or not. I know some incredible jazz guys who never think in terms of scales and modes - they just play want they think fit. Now, that's probably the hardest thing to do well. Most of us need "helpers" such as scales, arpeggios, triads, etc.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Oops, I fixed the link, try again now.
    http://www.dolphinstreet.com/jazz_gu...acking_tracks/

I used mostly Dorian and Melodic Minor for the minor chords. For the C7b9 chord, I like to use the Altered scale. For the Ab7, I use the Lydian Dominant (or Eb Melodic Minor). For the G7, I use Altered scale or Diminished, starting with a half step.

I try to not just play scales though, but I probably do too much. I'm not much of a jazz guitarist really, but I have an idea what can be done. Executing it is the hard part though...

Basically, it's about playing great lines, whether you use modes and scales as helping tools or not. I know some incredible jazz guys who never think in terms of scales and modes - they just play want they think fit. Now, that's probably the hardest thing to do well. Most of us need "helpers" such as scales, arpeggios, triads, etc.
    Nice one! I'll have a little fiddle when a bit later on. I tend to try and 'play what I think fits', but for my course, I need to be able to jump from mode to mode on command and the only way to do that is to practice it.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

So does anyone else have any ideas to add to the talk about playing over a minor jazz blues?

On the G7, I sometimes use the whole-tone scale as well.

You may notice that on the 4th bar, it sounds good to emphasize the major 3rd and also the b9 note; gives it that altered/dim sound.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear a few different chord voicings. Would you mind going over them?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean the rhythm guitar? I was just improvising the rhythm guitar, but I can try and clarify the chords if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Job Boss , as usual ...
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean the rhythm guitar? I was just improvising the rhythm guitar, but I can try and clarify the chords if anyone is interested.
    Yeah, that'd be cool. I'd also be interested to know which turnarounds, if any, you used.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Well the chords are more or less:

Cm7 | Cm7 | Cm7 | C7
    Fm7 | Fm7 | Cm7 | Cm7
    Ab7 | G7 | Cm | G7

For the minor chords, I like using minor 9 chords, or minor 11 and similar voicings. Minor 9 with the 6 in there sounds nice too.

For the Dominant 7 chords, I use #5 but for the Gb7, I use b5 (or #11, same thing) for that lydian dominant sound.

Instead of the Gb7, you can also use Dm7b5.

Does that help?
    Last edited by Robert; February 4th, 2009 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Does that help?
    I'll try it out, cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the wrong chord in there, sorry! The Gb7 was WRONG - it is of course Ab7.