Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low watt amps...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low watt amps...

Just some babbling and rambling on my part. Recently, I sold all my big amps (except for my Delta Blues 210) and with the money from the sales bought two of the Blackheart amps (the Little Giant Head and Handsome Devil head). I also found a Crate V212T cab on evilbay at a great price.

For years, I was convinced that small amps just didn't sound that good: Keep in mind though that I grew up in an era where "small practice or home amps" meant a 15-watt solid state that sounded like a cardboard box with a speaker stuck in it.

This really is a great time for guitarists....some REALLY GOOD small amps have come out in recent years that really deliver; whether it's the Vox AD**VT line, Peavey Vypyrs, Egnater Rebel, Blackheart, Epiphone, Blackstar, the new Voxes that will be coming out....these amps all deliver very well on tone and at volumes that won't leave you deaf or disturb the family/neighbors. Plus, they are REASONABLY PRICED.

Tube amps had pretty much been impractical for me because of my living situation (a townhome) but the recent innovations with the smaller amps have closed a gap which I always thought was out there: great gig sized amps, and cheesy amps for the home noodler.

Tone is a matter of subjectivity, and I've owned amps like a Blues Jr and an AC15 but thought they lacked a certain depth so to speak. Plus, I got way too caught up in the latest "flavor of the day" syndrome that many of us go through where we see a new amp come out, sell the old ones, and go with the new fad. Also, I never thought I'd play something other than a Fender, etc (that brand recognition bias).

Part of it too is that I'm probably a little burned out with buying and selling gear and probably spent more time tweaking amps rather than playing.

Sorry for the rambling editorial, but I think this is a GREAT time for guitarists: Good gear, good tone, reasonable prices.....:
    Last edited by TS808; January 31st, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    Part of it too is that I'm probably a little burned out with buying and selling gear and probably spent more time tweaking amps rather than playing.
    I think I'm coming to that conclusion too. GAS is all fine and good, but what am I playing? I've thought about this a lot after I was chasing that Rhoads and now seeing the Blackstar. The Rhoads would have looked cool, but wouldn't have been better than the guitar I'd be losing. I'm driving myself nuts trying to find the distortion tone in my head instead of just playing. Maybe the Blackstar would be a solution to that, or maybe it'd just end up another way to spend money.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been an ampoholic. At one time I had 13 amps, including 2 100-watt heads, a few 50 watt combos, etc. I ended up selling them all when I became interested in building my own stuff. Most of the stuff I've built is low watt: parts for high wattage amps are more expensive, and I'm with you, I just don't need more than about 5-10 watts. The highest wattage amp I have right now is 18 watts.

Not to hijack, but the precursor amp to the low wattage boom was the Hi-Mu. I really lusted for one of those back in the 80s. Unfortunately for the builder, he was about 15 years too early. If you ever come across a Hi-Mu amp for sale, snap it up. The later models feature Magnequest transformers, true point to point wiring, and put out about 5 watts for the single ended 6V6 model, 10 watts for the single ended 6L6 and 15 watts for the push pull EL84 model.

Here is some info:

http://www.diycustomamps.com/himu.htm

tung

Just some babbling and rambling on my part. Recently, I sold all my big amps (except for my Delta Blues 210) and with the money from the sales bought two of the Blackheart amps (the Little Giant Head and Handsome Devil head). I also found a Crate V212T cab on evilbay at a great price.

For years, I was convinced that small amps just didn't sound that good: Keep in mind though that I grew up in an era where "small practice or home amps" meant a 15-watt solid state that sounded like a cardboard box with a speaker stuck in it.

This really is a great time for guitarists....some REALLY GOOD small amps have come out in recent years that really deliver; whether it's the Vox AD**VT line, Peavey Vypyrs, Egnater Rebel, Blackheart, Epiphone, Blackstar, the new Voxes that will be coming out....these amps all deliver very well on tone and at volumes that won't leave you deaf or disturb the family/neighbors. Plus, they are REASONABLY PRICED.

Tube amps had pretty much been impractical for me because of my living situation (a townhome) but the recent innovations with the smaller amps have closed a gap which I always thought was out there: great gig sized amps, and cheesy amps for the home noodler.

Tone is a matter of subjectivity, and I've owned amps like a Blues Jr and an AC15 but thought they lacked a certain depth so to speak. Plus, I got way too caught up in the latest "flavor of the day" syndrome that many of us go through where we see a new amp come out, sell the old ones, and go with the new fad. Also, I never thought I'd play something other than a Fender, etc (that brand recognition bias).

Sorry for the rambling editorial, but I think this is a GREAT time for guitarists: Good gear, good tone, reasonable prices.....:
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I think I'm coming to that conclusion too. GAS is all fine and good, but what am I playing? I've thought about this a lot after I was chasing that Rhoads and now seeing the Blackstar. The Rhoads would have looked cool, but wouldn't have been better than the guitar I'd be losing. I'm driving myself nuts trying to find the distortion tone in my head instead of just playing. Maybe the Blackstar would be a solution to that, or maybe it'd just end up another way to spend money.
    It got way too crazy for me...going back and forth, trying a new amp, selling an old one, and in the end, I still wasn't satisfied. It gets to the point where gear becomes more of an obsession than playing guitar.

I've seen so many "boo-teek" amps on ebay lately, and even some of the sound clips I hear on other forums with $3000 amps REALLY don't sound that much different than some of the clips I hear with a mass-produced amp.

Thankfully, I reached a point a few years ago where I quit buying guitars.

Part of the problem too was that my amps sounded like crap because I was buying amps that were just not made for playing at home, so all the "bells and whistles" were just going to waste.

I'm finding too that the simpler that amp, the better I like it, whether it's one or two channel.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

It got way too crazy for me...going back and forth, trying a new amp, selling an old one, and in the end, I still wasn't satisfied. It gets to the point where gear becomes more of an obsession than playing guitar.
    I hear you. About 15 years ago I sold off all my FX pedals, including a nice TS808 Tube Screamer. I didn't have any pedals at all until about a year ago. I found that I was playing around with the settings more than I was practicing. Lately though, I've been picking up lots of pedals on the cheap. Old habits die hard

I've seen so many "boo-teek" amps on ebay lately, and even some of the sound clips I hear on other forums with $3000 amps REALLY don't sound that much different than some of the clips I hear with a mass-produced amp.
    I think the boutique thing is messed up. A lot of boutique amps are just copies of low wattage practice amps from the 50s and 60s. The originals were only so-so in quality. They were meant to be cheap practice amps and were built for that price point. Now that a lot of them have become unaffordable to all but those with deep pockets, the boutique makers fill the niche by offering updated, high quality clones. A lot of the price of a boutique amp is the cost of paying the maker to hand wire it, which is fairly labor intensive. It takes me a good 10 to 15 hours to build a Tweed Princeton amp from scratch.

Part of the problem too was that my amps sounded like crap because I was buying amps that were just not made for playing at home, so all the "bells and whistles" were just going to waste.
    I agree, I got rid of my two 100W stacks because they just didn't sound good at low volumes. If I had regularly cranked them, I would be divorced now

I'm finding too that the simpler that amp, the better I like it, whether it's one or two channel.
    Very true. That is the reason the tweed Princeton is my favorite amp. It is very simple. Two gain stages, a low loss tone control and a single output tube. You can't get much simpler and have a good sounding guitar amp. The tweed princeton does a good low volume clean sound and sounds glorious when cranked. It takes pedals well, so if you need a heavier sound, you can push it with an OD pedal or a booster.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

I think the boutique thing is messed up. A lot of boutique amps are just copies of low wattage practice amps from the 50s and 60s. The originals were only so-so in quality. They were meant to be cheap practice amps and were built for that price point. Now that a lot of them have become unaffordable to all but those with deep pockets, the boutique makers fill the niche by offering updated, high quality clones. A lot of the price of a boutique amp is the cost of paying the maker to hand wire it, which is fairly labor intensive. It takes me a good 10 to 15 hours to build a Tweed Princeton amp from scratch.
    Agreed...the hand wiring certainly is labor intensive and it's cool if people are into that....I believe that whatever works for a person, they should certainly get.

I think us guitarists get too caught up in the hype though sometimes, and find that no matter what amp, we still sound like ourselves in the end

It's amazing though when I visit other forums how caught up people get in tube swaps, speaker swaps, only to get rid of the amp 3 months later because they "couldn't bond with it".

My point is it becomes a vicious cycle sometimes and more of an obsession. I'd rather have that kind of obsession to PLAY guitar then going through that endless cycle of buying, selling and trading gear.

Post Thanks / Like

You bring up an excellent point here. If I had spent as much time practicing has I had chasing down and acquiring gear I would now have monster chops of doom. But it is easier to acquire gear. And it is more satisfying in the short term.

I think GAS is ultimately indicative of being unsatisfied with playing ability. It is the "grass is greener" syndrome. The question is how do we turn off the GAS obsession and turn on a playing/practicing obsession?

OTOH, I've owned a lot of cool gear and have learned a lot about it. Building amps is the same way, I've learned a lot about circuits by building them and testing them.

I don't think buying/collecting gear is inherently bad, it is when it becomes a substitute for playing/practicing that it starts to cause the never ending cycle of acquiring and flipping gear.

I'm a gear addict, so I think about this a lot.

tung

Agreed...the hand wiring certainly is labor intensive and it's cool if people are into that....I believe that whatever works for a person, they should certainly get.

I think us guitarists get too caught up in the hype though sometimes, and find that no matter what amp, we still sound like ourselves in the end

It's amazing though when I visit other forums how caught up people get in tube swaps, speaker swaps, only to get rid of the amp 3 months later because they "couldn't bond with it".

My point is it becomes a vicious cycle sometimes and more of an obsession. I'd rather have that kind of obsession to PLAY guitar then going through that endless cycle of buying, selling and trading gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Preach on, brother!

I think that we get caught up in the hype so much that when someone famous says something totally steeped in myth, we tend to believe it.

There is, IMO, very little common sense testing out there to get to the truth.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I think GAS is ultimately indicative of being unsatisfied with playing ability. It is the "grass is greener" syndrome. The question is how do we turn off the GAS obsession and turn on a playing/practicing obsession?
    Yep! I wonder how many times I bought new gear when I was feeling like I was in one of those playing ruts??

Funny how we won't hesitate to try and buy new gear, but how hesitant some of us are to try different styles of music or spend some cash on lessons lol.

I really believe though that no matter what the gear, I still sound like me..the tones might be a little better, but I still have the same chops (or lack thereof) in the end.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much have my guitar GAS under control, but I am giving serious thought to the Blackheart 5 watt amp head and this thread isn't changing that craving.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Preach on, brother!

I think that we get caught up in the hype so much that when someone famous says something totally steeped in myth, we tend to believe it.

There is, IMO, very little common sense testing out there to get to the truth.
    There is alot of hype about gear. I've heard guys play through old Peavey Bandits and they sounded like pure tonal bliss. That's not to say buy the cheapest gear possible, but to me it shows that the gear is a smaller part of the tonal equation than alot of people believe.

Guys like Hendrix, BB King, and many other of the older rockers and bluesmen played through whatever was available at the time, and to this day, their tones are still the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I pretty much have my guitar GAS under control, but I am giving serious thought to the Blackheart 5 watt amp head and this thread isn't changing that craving.
    I think the Blackheart is worth every penny though....inexpensive, simple, and it sounds great.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Blackheart is worth every penny though....inexpensive, simple, and it sounds great.
    Exactly!!! That is music to my ears (and wallet)
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low Watt Amp

I'm curious as heck to see what people think of the Vox AC4TV combo, the little 4W tube amp with a 10" speaker. If Vox does that RIGHT; that could be a MAJOR hit for them in the little watt amp market. It could do for little tube watt amps what the Fender SCXD has done, blow away the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TS808]There is alot of hype about gear. I've heard guys play through old Peavey Bandits and they sounded like pure tonal bliss. That's not to say buy the cheapest gear possible, but to me it shows that the gear is a smaller part of the tonal equation than alot of people believe.

In my book the Peavey Bandit is a great amp I know it is ss but man it is a versatile amp and rock solid. haven't replaced the one that was stolen from me last Oct. yet but I will.

I sill have a 100w amp (collecting some serious dust) the other 10 amps are all 22w or below and I agree it is really good time for guitarist and low wattage reasonably priced amps. Hope to add a Blackstar HT-5 to my arsenal if and when I can find one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like my simple Peavey Classic 30 and the simple small Blackhearts look like a similar thing but smaller. That is why I lean toward them. On the other hand, a couple of the small modelers look very good as well, and I would not have to lug around extra cables, effects, etc. I agree, pretty nice that there are all these options right now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

GAS has not hit me... yet, but i have swapped and tried out a few amps looking for that "tonal bliss" everyone's trying to find.
    My very first amp (if we can call it an amp), was a Danelectro 1 watt battery operated plastic thingy to start out in my apartment without bothering my neighbors.
    Second, Vox Pathfinder 15R... huge improvement!
    I then started trying out lots of amps from GC, or freinds of mine (just a few that play guitar) and i'll always compare them against my 15R, of course, taking in consideration prices: i would play a Fender Blues Jr. and of course it sounded great... but it's 400 bucks above my 15R! and besides that, my 15R also sounds great.
    Like that i played other Voxes, fenders, gorilla's, Peavey's... lots of them and i'd always come back to my 15R (this is not a promo, i promise).

Then i wanted to hop on the tube amp wagon and was aiming for the Blackheart LG but came across the Crate V5 wich was a lot cheaper, and even though it had bad reviews, i went for it... well, it sound pretty bad but i'm keeping it as my modding platform (couple guys have already done it, check the thread).

Wrapping this up, it's easy for that GAS bug (or hype) to hit you, since i've been gladly stuck to my Vox's tone, i'm all excited about the AD4TV that's coming out and i haven't even heard it yet! already saving my pennies for it (sweetwater has a pre-sale right now) just becuase it's a low watt Vox amp!

How many amps must i try before i realize that the tone i'm looking for has been there since day one... in the 15R.

(note to self: that's the reason you haven't sold it yet... stupid).

Gretsch Corvette
    Parker P-38
    Yamaha APX500
    Vox Pathfinder 15R
    Vox Tonelab ST
    Blackheart LG
    ... That's it.

Post Thanks / Like

In my book the Peavey Bandit is a great amp I know it is ss but man it is a versatile amp and rock solid. haven't replaced the one that was stolen from me last Oct. yet but I will.
    Wasn't trying to diss the Bandit...my point was that alot of "gear snobs" look down their noses at solid state and even digital modeling, but so much of it has to do with the person playing through the amp. Solid state amps today aren't the same technology that existed when I was a teenager in the 70's (that paper thin, raspy sound). Alot of solid-state amps really sound good these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't trying to diss the Bandit...my point was that alot of "gear snobs" look down their noses at solid state and even digital modeling, but so much of it has to do with the person playing through the amp. Solid state amps today aren't the same technology that existed when I was a teenager in the 70's (that paper thin, raspy sound). Alot of solid-state amps really sound good these days.
    I have contemplated selling or trading my AD30VT on several occasions and realized there would only be regrets to follow. I have a rajun cajun speaker for it that will be delivered this week and if the speaker lives up to the reviews, then I don't see parting with it. Come to think of it, the Vox is the gear I've held onto the longest.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast