Thread: Steppenwolf The Pusher - Creating that tone

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steppenwolf The Pusher - Creating that tone

Alright, I have not the ears to pull out everything a song has in it to determine how to achieve "That Sound" So will ask for help from those that do know how and hopefully how to do it cheaply.

Song: The Pusher... To nail it..what would it take? Rhythm and all... and how would you do it cheaply if possible for recording?

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Man If you cant do it with all the stuff you got..........I dont know what to tell yah. Latest videos show The lead guitar is on a Les Paul into a Marshall Stack, John Kay's guitar looks like a Rickenbacker maybe into a Rivera Amp and he had a capo on it maybe an alternate power chord tuning. Early stuff looks like all marshall stacks. But man; the Organ is a killer part of Steppenwolf. Plus, If you can't nail John Kay's vocals why waste your time. They had to be one unique classic rock band.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5w8M-8L2k
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah But I have the LP and still have an 8 track of them. Was in High School when that came out.

Just do it. Have fun with it

These guys got the right idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqBW...elated&search=

Post Thanks / Like

The old 8 track. I had one in my 1963 Pontiac Catalina Convertible. Those were the good old days, until the tape got stuck around the capstan. Hello slice and splice!
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh My god........ Isnt that a Line 6 Bean on top of the speaker behind the lead guitarist?

pes_laul Guest

this is halfway hijacking this thread but....I probaly sound pretty dumb but whats a 8 track ( i think it's something to do with a multitracking recorder)

Post Thanks / Like

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chordshredder
    Man If you cant do it with all the stuff you got..........I dont know what to tell yah.
    Haha... Welp...that was back in 2005.. and I didn't have anything I got now..I don't think..? Probably wont have anything I got now in 2009..lol..

But yup...just do it.. is the plan...

ude:

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually couple years ago when I was just starting back up I picked up a Crate G60, the family went shopping and I fed it a Les Paul knockoff, with it cranked and the tone rolled off some, rocked out with Stepps Pusher and it didnt sound out of place, but my wife gets bent over the all the G___D___'s. I actually like the Crate but you got to get cookin. Later I modded a Boss DS-1 to sound like a cranked Marshall, that would probably get even closer. Thats a good pedal for cheap and the monte allums mod sure helped it. As for duplicating sounds Im stumped on Crosby Stills Nash and young.