Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD for Me!

Thread: NGD for Me!

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD for Me!

Here's the latest in my non-ending search for that perfect guitar:

Just got her in today. It's a Yamaha 112, which, according to what I've been able to find out, is made of alder. The neck is straight and feels really good. This thing's been played a lot and put up without case, so there's rust on the bridge, the pots are scratchy and cutting in and out and there's scratches all over the body. BUT, she feels great! Other than finish issues (scratches and wear) the wood's in good condition. I guess you could realistically call this one "reliced"!

I'm going to clean her up and will probably start the upgrade process. Still have the Texas Special GFS pickups and the bridge with the steel block, so they may find their way into this baby. I also have the tortoiseshell pickup that's fully shielded (the pickups and CTS pots are already mounted on it) that may, if it fits, find its way onto her. If nothing else, I'll fully shield the cavity with copper foil and replace the pots.

I really like the feel of this guitar, but that's just my initial impression with only a few minutes of play time. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, man, neat find. Ought to be interesting with those new pups. Congrats!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Those are pretty nice geetars. Happy NGD!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Ronnie,

Nice score. Let's see how long you keep this one. You remind me of someone that doesn't keep guitars long, but I just can't seem to remember his name.

Looking forward to hearing the upgrade progress.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Ron! She looks sweet.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it on a guitar stand? Don't those come with a kickstand?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Those Yamaha guitars offer tremendous bang for the buck. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Why is it on a guitar stand? Don't those come with a kickstand?
    You are thinking of a different model, but this one comes with an electric starter. I guess it's one of those trade offs we sometimes have to make.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

When I was first getting back into guitar, a friend of mine that played recommended a Pacifica like that. In retrospect, I should have listened.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

nice!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. Those are petty nice. I trust it was a good deal? Also, it wasn't one of the recalled ones was it?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks very cool! Congrats Ron!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the positive comments guys! This week is NOT shaping up for me to find the time to start learning about my new toy, so any mods will have to wait until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Ronnie,

Nice score. Let's see how long you keep this one. You remind me of someone that doesn't keep guitars long, but I just can't seem to remember his name.

Looking forward to hearing the upgrade progress.
    If nothing else, I'll keep her until AT LEAST the first of next week (see above comment)! I'm actually thinking I might hang onto this one for a while. The body's in fairly good shape and the neck seems right, so it's a good starting point for building my own version of a "Super Strat".

BTW, does that guy's name rhyme with "Mark"?

Post Thanks / Like

I've read good things about the guitar here and there, so you may have a keeper (my definition - one to two months).

If it plays nice and sounds good, I wouldn't be concerned about the body shape - you're not entering it in a guitar show.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Ron, dunno how I missed this previously.

I've heard lots of good things about Pacificas, though somewhat more typically about the higher-end ones (sfaik the model numbers go up as the expense does, so I think the 112 is the most basic model). I'm guessing it wasn't much dosh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Congrats Ron, dunno how I missed this previously.

I've heard lots of good things about Pacificas, though somewhat more typically about the higher-end ones (sfaik the model numbers go up as the expense does, so I think the 112 is the most basic model). I'm guessing it wasn't much dosh?
    Around one Benjamin. The EG series is their very bottom, with basswood bodies. The Pacifica's (from what I can tell) tend to be a little better. The 012 is agathis and the 112's are alder bodies. It plays really good. The GFS trem block kit made a nice difference. Waiting on a pickup to replace the hb in the bridge. She sounds pretty good now - should really rock one the new pup's in.