Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I'm GASing for...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm GASing for...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm GASing for...

a higher end guitar. My 3 guitar collection cost a total of $600! While they are fun, I've gotten GAS pains of late wanting more. This will most likely be a couple of month search as I haven't tried any out yet -- I've just been going on message boards and reading reviews (I haven't found any bad reviews of the 3 I have listed). I primarily play blues and rock.

I am pretty sure I want a HSS combination for maximum versatility. As of today, the guitars currently causing me the most pain are:

1. Suhr Pro Series 1 (most expensive -- not sure I want to spend this much)
    2. Musicman Luke or Steve Morse (middle price) -- mass produced but everything I've read indicates high quality.
    3. Carvin DC135 (cheapest but won't be able to try out) -- this intrigues me because I can customize it.

What do you think? Any thoughts of other guitars I should also be checking out? Maybe cheaper with similar quality. I appreciate the input and wisdom of this board! Thanks in advance.
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of music do you play? I've heard good things about Suhr guitars.

A friend of mine has a SRV signature strat and loves it. Personally I like Peavey guitars.

In my mind though, it doesn't matter what research you do, or what opinions you hear. Once you sit down in a room full of guitars for sale and start playing. One of them will choose you.

S
    Power chords...I love power chords...I wish more bands would use em...

Post Thanks / Like

People who have Carvin's seem to love 'em. And the customization is a cool thing. I'm still hoping to be able to get a CT6 Cali Carved-Top some day....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I say, a Suhr for you, Sir!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Carvin will give you the best possible guitar for the money!! Suhr are nice gunslingers according to the boss ^^^^^^^^^^^^ so I guess price will decide!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm biased, I admit. I am so hooked on my Suhr guitar and I may not be able to separate the wheat from the chaff as a result. I haven't tried Carvin guitars, but I have heard a lot of good things about them.

Spud can tell your more about the Luke. He's got one.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one these from the same guy ,realy nice at cheap price ..But a Shur is a Shur ,no doubt..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...B:FSEL:US:1123

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest patience and at least make sure you get to try all of these in person before making a decision. The hardest to find will be a Carvin. You'll get the best bang-for-buck out of those and also have a guitar that is uniquely your own. The only problem is that their resale value is really bad. I'm really not sure why that is other than the custom nature of their guitars. If the day would come that I'd get a more expensive instrument, I'd seriously look at Carvin.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input so far, guys. I knew someone had a Luke on the board but I couldn't find the posting. Hopefully Spud will chime in.

Yes, in my preliminary research I have not read anything bad about Carvin -- other than resale. Probably because of the customization and the fact that they are apparently pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

I will definitely try a Suhr, but it may be out of my price range at this point. We'll see! I'm also sure others will pop up as I truly begin my search.
    -Steve

Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Bolt a few years ago. It was transparent green over "swamp ash." Now when I think of swamp ash, I think "light in weight." This guitar was easily as heavy as a Les Paul. It also had some fret buzz issues that I couldn't get worked out, even after talking to a tech at Carvin. So I ended up returning it. I bought the guitar from their guitars in stock page, but now I know to order one by talking to an actual person at Carvin. I believe that most of the guitars in stock are returns, and are returned for a reason.

I have a friend who is a materials engineer, PhD. no less. He is also a big fan of Carvin guitars. He suggested to me that if I were to get a Carvin, I should get one with a maple or rosewood fingerboard. The neck stiffening rods and the ebony fretboards on their standard guitars tend to make them very bright. If you like that kind of tone, they you're good. If not, get rose wood or maple for the fingerboard.

I've often heard criticism that the stock pickups aren't that great, but YMMV. And pickups are easily changed.

I hope someday to get a Carvin, they offer tremendous bang for the buck and sound good.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by scgmhawk
    Thanks for all the input so far, guys. I knew someone had a Luke on the board but I couldn't find the posting. Hopefully Spud will chime in.

Yes, in my preliminary research I have not read anything bad about Carvin -- other than resale. Probably because of the customization and the fact that they are apparently pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

I will definitely try a Suhr, but it may be out of my price range at this point. We'll see! I'm also sure others will pop up as I truly begin my search.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that link, Blazes. Well made with poor pickups was the consensus of that thread. I think pickups are very subjective but it was overwhelming on that thread!
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you I'd get up and go out and play everything I could get my hands on... then your decision would be based on something real for YOU instead of a lot of individual opinions based on knowing nothing about you or your style.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 carvins .A new cali carve top ..pups are great ,a new v220 with different set of carvin pups they are great !!I also have a 80's v220 .....all great.Tung all my fretboards are ebony.Only on the cali carv top is it a lil bright.(mahog body maple top) The new 220 is swamp ash with maple neck through and the old 220 is all hard rock maple.They are not bright at all!!

Carvin pups are really good pups in my opinion.
    Last edited by mrmudcat; February 4th, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rocket. Take the advise here and use it as a starting point for a test drive, but don't pass up things that catch your eyes and ears along the way. Test them, new or used and if you find something new, see if you can find a used one and save some $$$.

Are you selling what you have in order to bring up your spending range or is that already part of your calculation?

If you want opinion, take along a friend for another set of ears (one that isn't prone to say whatever it is you want to to hear).
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I won't necessarily buy based on advice or reviews, but they can certainly sway me not to buy! This won't be an impulse buy (I hope!) because I'm looking to spend some decent cash. I'm not going to sell my others -- just adding on at this point.

Lots of good advice. I really appreciate it!
    -Steve

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scgmhawk
    I agree. I won't necessarily buy based on advice or reviews, but they can certainly sway me not to buy! This won't be an impulse buy (I hope!) because I'm looking to spend some decent cash. I'm not going to sell my others -- just adding on at this point.

Lots of good advice. I really appreciate it!
    I have the feeling you are going to be posting a very good "Guess what I got today". I will live my guitar GAS through you - buy a really nice one so I am GAS relieved for a while.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I agree with Rocket. Take the advise here and use it as a starting point for a test drive, but don't pass up things that catch your eyes and ears along the way. Test them, new or used and if you find something new, see if you can find a used one and save some $$$.
    If you want opinion, take along a friend for another set of ears (one that isn't prone to say whatever it is you want to to hear).
    Ditto these sages...

I'd only suggest you either lug your amp along or be sure the store has one like it to test-drive whatever you try, so as not to be mystified about why it doesn't sound the same when you get it home. Or buy the amp, too, if you like the marriage.:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad
    ...buy the amp, too...
    Uh.... YEAH! I thought that was implied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast