Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
HNPD: Cool Cat Transparent OD - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HNPD: Cool Cat Transparent OD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    So far I think they sound pretty good. So I got two - one for me and one for some guy who missed out on them before they changed the circuit design and will be willing to shell out big bucks because he thinks the Timmy is over priced.
    The Timmy costs $129. That's for a handwired pedal with true bypass (yawn), a clipping switch and a socketed opamp. Pretty good value, I think. The real pain is the 8 month plus waiting list. Timmy's sold on evilbay are overpriced because people are buying them to sell on to those who just can't wait :

If I really like the TOD, I might well order a Timmy. The Dano pedal might last until I get to the top of the list
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered 144 of them. I figure what the heck. Who's going to seriously wait 8 months for a pedal that costs $130 when they can get from me in a week for just $75?:

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Paul Cochrane's Timmy pedal (IMO) isn't overpriced at all. $129 for a handmade pedal is more than fair--take it from someone who is in a position to know, based upon what's involved in making them. I give Cochrane a lot of credit for not jacking the price through the roof and managing the demand that way. Instead, he's got a several-months-long waiting list of customers who want his pedal's particular sound and recognize that his price is a relative bargain among "boutique" pedal makers. $200 - $300 is the more typical range for an in-demand pedal like his.

The cost driver for hand-made pedals is the labor, not the parts. That's why Danelectro, who cranks them out on an automated production line in China, can afford to sell 'em for $40 and still make a decent profit. But I'm sure they pay a lot less for the parts, too, by buying in bulk.

Being a pedal maker myself, I would feel guilty about buying the Danelectro if not for the fact that I would never consider spending the $129 for another OD pedal--even a very good one--or waiting for months to get one. So in doing so, I'm not taking business away from Paul and giving it to Danelectro. But I'm happy to see that the Danelectro people have apparently been in contact with Paul to sort this out. Hopefully, they do the right thing--change the design and work out some kind of monetary settlement with him for "borrowing" his design for several months. As I understand it, legally they owe him nothing. But what's legal and what's right are so often two different things....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that confuses me about the whole debate is that people are eager to jump on Danelectro for making a cheaper alternative to the Timmy. Yet no one has jumped on the opportunistic sellers who buy Paul's pedals, then turn around and flip them for a profit. When Dano sells pedals, its Evil. When sellers flip Paul's pedals for a profit, it capitalism.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    One thing that confuses me about the whole debate is that people are eager to jump on Danelectro for making a cheaper alternative to the Timmy. Yet no one has jumped on the opportunistic sellers who buy Paul's pedals, then turn around and flip them for a profit. When Dano sells pedals, its Evil. When sellers flip Paul's pedals for a profit, it capitalism.

tung
    I think maybe the logic is that in the latter scenario, Paul doesn't lose any business. Such people are just pandering to the impatient who want one NOW and are willing to pay for it. In that sense, they're just satisfying a demand that's out there and that Paul doesn't service directly with his business model. Though I do agree with you, Tung--strikes me as price gouging and taking advantage of the situation. Then again, nobody holds a gun to the heads of those who pay these inflated pass-through prices....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Either way this falls I bet both are enjoying all the free publicity
    I have had this pedal for couple months now and really enjoy it alot ....like it best w/epi and 18w tmb

Post Thanks / Like

And the debate rages on. Here's one user's comparison between TOD and Timmy. No audio or video though

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=503563

Post Thanks / Like

Hm. Apparently the Cool Cat fuzz (which I'm having major fun with these days) is a clone of the Frantone Peach Fuzz. Looks like somebody at Danelectro is doing their homework.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    ....Looks like somebody at Danelectro is doing their homework.
    Or copying the answers of the smart kids, depending upon how you look at this kind of thing!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Or copying the answers of the smart kids, depending upon how you look at this kind of thing!
    Copying circuits is nothing new. The trademark only protects the artwork and look of the packaging. The circuit itself is up for grabs, unless it is patented. And there are very few new circuits. Most of them are just tweaked versions of existing circuits. Some pedals are direct copies, often lifted from the manufacturer's data sheets. It's one reason that some pedal manufacturers put goop on their circuit boards, to protect their tweaks.

This is the reason that Leo Fender couldn't sue Jim Marshall for copying the Fender Bassman. It is the reason that Dumble goops his amps, they are just high gain tweaked out versions of Fender amps. In turn, Fender amps were based on circuits published by Western Electric.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe the logic is that in the latter scenario, Paul doesn't lose any business. Such people are just pandering to the impatient who want one NOW and are willing to pay for it. In that sense, they're just satisfying a demand that's out there and that Paul doesn't service directly with his business model.
    Actually, Paul does lose business, if someone buys from a gouger, then they're not buying from Paul. It is the same thing only for different reasons: buying the Dano results from people not wanting to spend $130 on a pedal. Buying a used, but marked up Timmy results from people not wanting to wait. So Paul loses out on both accounts.

Though I do agree with you, Tung--strikes me as price gouging and taking advantage of the situation. Then again, nobody holds a gun to the heads of those who pay these inflated pass-through prices....
    True, I agree.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Actually, Paul does lose business, if someone buys from a gouger, then they're not buying from Paul. It is the same thing only for different reasons: buying the Dano results from people not wanting to spend $130 on a pedal. Buying a used, but marked up Timmy results from people not wanting to wait. So Paul loses out on both accounts.
    Not sure I agree with your reasoning here, Tung. I would think that the majority of these gougers buy the pedal for the express purpose of turning right around and selling it at a higher price. In such a case, they merely serve as a middle man--Paul still gets his sale and somebody ends up with Paul's pedal, albeit at a higher price. They pay the premium to avoid waiting several months.

In any case, he's obviously "sold out" if his waiting list is months long. So you can't really say he loses any sales--even to Danelectro--if he's always working from a big backlog of orders. Of course, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here, too!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I will concede that my reasoning may be faulty here. It just seems to me though, that it is a bit hypocritical for TGP members to blast those who buy Dano TOD pedal but don't blast those making a profit on Paul's work.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

tung

Not sure I agree with your reasoning here, Tung. I would think that the majority of these gougers buy the pedal for the express purpose of turning right around and selling it at a higher price. In such a case, they merely serve as a middle man--Paul still gets his sale and somebody ends up with Paul's pedal, albeit at a higher price. They pay the premium to avoid waiting several months.

In any case, he's obviously "sold out" if his waiting list is months long. So you can't really say he loses any sales--even to Danelectro--if he's always working from a big backlog of orders. Of course, I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here, too!

Post Thanks / Like

The video comparison we've all been waiting for?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty damned close. The Timmy sounded a bit brighter & more open, but that could just be smallish differences between the control pot settings. I'm feeling pretty good about that $43 I spent....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Dano had more of a pronounced midrange when activated. I noticed this particularly at about 1:30 in the video. Still the Dano sounds pretty good.
    I think the Timmy sounds thin by comparison.
    Last edited by Spudman; February 6th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Dano on this clip better too.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

close enough that I'm even more pleased with my purchase

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F_BSurfer
    close enough that I'm even more pleased with my purchase

Same for me ! :
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast