Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
HNPD: Cool Cat Transparent OD
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HNPD: Cool Cat Transparent OD

Post Thanks / Like

Default HNPD: Cool Cat Transparent OD

Just picked up a Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent OD. Maybe one of the last ones for sale in its current form

There is a big flap going on over at the Gear Page and Free Stomp Boxes. Apparently the TOD is a direct copy of a boutique pedal called the Timmy made by Paul Cochrane.

Details here.

Someone from Danelectro contacted Paul, and they are working to resolve it.

Anyway, I'll get some clips posted when I have a chance to try this pedal out. I'm working on my amp today, so I'll get to the pedal after I get done with the amp.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading the debates too. Most interesting. I believe there's been a bit of a run on the Transparent OD's. How long before evilbay is full of "pre-lawsuit" models at inflated prices. Though of course Paul Cochrane can't afford a lawsuit. The Timmy is already a bit of a controversial pedal as lots of people appear to get on the waiting list just to sell the pedal on to the impatient for a premium. Tot had a Timmy last I heard, maybe we can get a comparison?
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

While I feel for Paul, I don't know if Danelectro has anything to apologize for. He can trademark the look and name of the pedal, and the artwork/layout for the circuit, but he can't trademark the circuit itself. He can only patent it, and only if it is something novel. AFAIK, an opamp with clippers is not novel.

No one has suggested that Ibanez sue all the boutiquers who have built clones (sometimes exact copies) of the Tube Screamer. And no one has suggested that ProCo sue Ibanez for the Fat Cat which is a clone of the Rat.

No one feels sorry for Dumble, and there are *lots* of clones of his amps.

I would encourage anyone who wants to try this pedal to buy one now to avoid paying the "pre lawsuit" tax on the originals. I've already seen the MXR Classic Distortion, available only from GC in Dec. 2008 for $30, being flogged on ebay for double. Ditto on the BBE Green Screamers.

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    I've been reading the debates too. Most interesting. I believe there's been a bit of a run on the Transparent OD's. How long before evilbay is full of "pre-lawsuit" models at inflated prices. Though of course Paul Cochrane can't afford a lawsuit. The Timmy is already a bit of a controversial pedal as lots of people appear to get on the waiting list just to sell the pedal on to the impatient for a premium. Tot had a Timmy last I heard, maybe we can get a comparison?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    AFAIK, an opamp with clippers is not novel.
    In the beginning the was the Boss OD-1, closely followed by the Ibanez (Maxon) Overdrive Pro, later Tube Screamer which had (gasp) a tone control. Boss retaliated with the SD-1 and switched to the JRC4558 opamp as it was cheaper and effectively (sorry) no different to the expensive 14 pin opamp they were using originally. After that, everything is pretty much lawsuit fodder

What I don't get is why this cult has been built around the JRC4558. Every rubbish dump is full of the things in discarded audio equipment.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

So are you saying we should all hurry up and run out and buy one of these Cool Cat Transparent Overdrives?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

In the beginning the was the Boss OD-1, closely followed by the Ibanez (Maxon) Overdrive Pro, later Tube Screamer which had (gasp) a tone control. Boss retaliated with the SD-1 and switched to the JRC4558 opamp as it was cheaper and effectively (sorry) no different to the expensive 14 pin opamp they were using originally. After that, everything is pretty much lawsuit fodder
    Thanks for the history lesson, I did not know that. :

What I don't get is why this cult has been built around the JRC4558. Every rubbish dump is full of the things in discarded audio equipment.
    Because SRV use a pedal that had that chip in it.

I have a DOD FX-55B Supra Distortion that has the JRC4558 chip in it. I think it sounds great, but everybody else in the world hates DOD pedals. Which is fine with me because I paid $20US for it.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

I just put in my order for a Transparent Overdrive!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to tell anyone how to spend their money, but it looks like Dano is going to change the circuit around. And many online suppliers are out of stock. But if you want to try the current version, yes I would buy one. Especially if you don't want to get raped by an ebay seller. Of course, I could be wrong.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    So are you saying we should all hurry up and run out and buy one of these Cool Cat Transparent Overdrives?

Post Thanks / Like

I just fired up my stock VJ head and tried out the Transparent OD.

Pros: sounds pretty good. Very, uh, transparent The EQ works great. There are two bands: bass and treble and are on a concentric pot. There is a lot of gain on tap, but unlike some pedals, you can dial back the gain control and still get a good crunch sound. True Bypass?

Cons: even though the case is metal, it still feels kind of flimsy. The battery door on the back is thin plastic and will eventually break or get lost. The control knobs are tiny and not on the face of the pedal, so they are a PITA to turn. The also work conter intuitively. It does not work as a clean booster (volume up, gain down). The footswitch feels kind of sticky, not smooth.

Still, not a bad pedal for $40.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I just put in my order for a Transparent Overdrive!
    I did last night too. Every single one that was on the auction site vanished right away and MF and M123 are all back ordered.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Still stock in NZ. What am I bid? Hey, I could scalp on the shipping too

Post Thanks / Like

I just went over and picked one up on eBay for $43 including shipping. I've heard so many good things about the Timmy pedal, this price is a steal if it's truly the same circuit, which apparently is the case.

Here's the 'Bay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280269395022

Big seller with exemplary feedback, so worth the risk in my book....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I just went over and picked one up on eBay for $43 including shipping. I've heard so many good things about the Timmy pedal, this price is a steal if it's truly the same circuit, which apparently is the case.

Here's the 'Bay link:

Still 10 left, get 'em while you can. :

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Guess what? I just ordered one too, Music Planet, Auckland NZ$76 shipped (US$39 at today's rates). This controversy isn't hurting Danelctro's sales, is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman

Here's the 'Bay link:

With reports of many places being sold out of this pedal, I sent a message to this eBay seller, asking if they really had the stock to fill my order. Here's what I sent:

"I just bought one of these Cool Cat Transparent OD pedals from you. I understand many places have sold out of this model. Please confirm you have the stock to fill my purchase."

To their credit, I got a response back in about 90 minutes--quite impressive for a large volume eBay seller! It said:

"I understand. We've been swamped with orders for them. Yes, we have some here, and another 26 coming tomorrow, probably late, and another 11 coming next week. I should be able to ship yours by Friday. No problem. Thanks so much."

So this would appear to be an excellent place to pick one up, if you're interested. : :

BTW, the March issue of Guitar Player has a test of 21 distortion pedals, including two of the Danelectro Cool Cat line, though not this particular one. Both did very well compared to the others tested, many of which were in the $200 - $300 range! The only thing they didn't like were the knobs--basically the same issues as Tung mentioned in his comments. Very complimentary of the tones, though, and the value of these pedals speaks for itself.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Tung gets some commission for all these Fret.Net sales!

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Blaze; February 4th, 2009 at 10:19 PM.
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

So far I think they sound pretty good. So I got two - one for me and one for some guy who missed out on them before they changed the circuit design and will be willing to shell out big bucks because he thinks the Timmy is over priced.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast