Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Starting Over

Thread: Starting Over

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting Over

A gazillion years ago (closer to 35-40, ) I took some guitar lessons on an old Harmony semi-hollowbody with a little tube amp. The git/amp are long gone (passed on to nephews, doubt if they still have them) but the love for guitar remains and it's time to learn to play.
    I know where first postion note/chords are, the diff types of barre chords (not that I do them all that well, ). I know where the blues scale and first position minor pentatonic scale are too.
    So, I eagerly await Monsieur Rocket's lessons.
    In the mean time, I am learning the NECK....how to play the same triad chord a bunch of different ways (inversions).....I am doing this with the major and minor chords......and since I wanna play the blues, I'm learning the movable dominant 7th chords all over the neck too.

Post Thanks / Like

good luck ! hang in there...
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

How are things coming along, piebald?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Slower than I would like as I have had a million things vying for my time. Chief among them being work and overtime at work. So, I am not playing nearly as much as I had hoped at the time of my original posting. Plus, I have had some GAS pains that I took care of but haven't had the chance to test out the new gear. :

That being said, I feel that I am improving a bit. I'm getting more familiar with the fretboard and finding my comfort zones with respect to chords, chord shapes. My fingerpicking drills are paying off and I'm slowly building accuracy in my picking (Hey Rocket, I can do it and not look at my hand).

I hope to get some more time soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pie I have been playing off and on for years,I mostly play blues and I have usually get lost in scales and could never get much speed and control up but I have been playing with a DVD I bought by Andy Aledort,I didnt think I would like it cause of the name Play lead guitar but wow it has opened up a lot of doors and helped me alot!Best 15 bucks I ever spent.Really try it,the only thing you got to lose in slow playin with no understanding.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

When I "restarted" my guitar playing after amost 30 years I set some goals. It was something I learned in my career that took up most of my time for those 30 years. You set the goals and find a plan on how to achieve them. My ultimate goal was to be able to play along with my favourite guitarists note for note. What I realized was that none of them play the songs exactly the same. They put "their" style into it. At first I was obsessed with scales and progressions, and I found they helped me gain a knowledge of the board and really helped with my skill and dexterity. I used several of the DVD series, like Blues you can use, and Essential Blues guitar, and Hot licks Robben Ford, to name a few.
    I found "recorded version" tablature books on my favourite blues albums and learned from them. With them I usually learn the intro, so you know what song I am playing then play along with them in my style, as if jamming with the artist.
    Every so often I go back to the DVD series and I am finding that they are really basic and I am playing over the rythm tracks using a lot more phrases than they do.
    I am not saying I am Buddy, or Eric, or Robben, but I am very happy with my progress.
    Of course I retired very early and have a lot of time to practice and I do.
    One of the biggest things that has come out of it has been my ability to hear a song and then go right to that key on the neck and play along.
    I have recently set new goals, and I am working on a better understanding of chords and progresions. I find this all very rewarding.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think it's a learning and RE-LEARNING process. Periodically I hit stale points where I feel like I'm not progressing at all, and it's always cool to revisit things like scales, chords, etc. I'm no speed demon on the guitar by any means, but over the years there has been alot of progress, but I don't see it as straight up...it's been an experience of peaks and valleys for me.

I feel like I hit another sticking point or rut, and contacted a guy about lessons. Had the first one last night. Always a good idea.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

In a way I look forward to getting into a rut, pretty soon I kick myself up the arse and starting moving forward again to another level . After quite a few years of playing with a pick I`ve tried to teach myself finger picking and can`t believe how cack handed I am .

Post Thanks / Like

Hang with it. There will be times you'll seem stagnant....but also times of epiphany. Where everything just falls into place. Those are the best...
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pie, keep finding the time to play, even for 20 or so minutes at a time.

I'm also in the Starting Over gang. I goofed around with an acoustic and a few electrics in my early to mid 20's, but switched to keyboards and later bass. I picked up a guitar again 6 months ago after 20 year off. (I'm 46 now) While I don't have much in the past to base my playing from, I'm pleased how much better than expected I am doing. Maybe having more patience that comes with age is helping!

I decided I needed a solid base to learn from, so I'm working my way through Fretboard Logic now. I don't have nearly as much time as I'd like, but progress is always welcome, even in small doses.

I started with a cheap Epi LP Jr. and a 15 watt Peavey Vypyr (not bad sounding after a speaker upgrade), and am now playing a Reverend Club King 290 with a modded Epi Valve Jr. I'm finally getting those tones that were once elusive, and my technique is improving little by little. I look forward to expanding my abilities over the next few decades, as far as my fingers and imagination will allow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger
    There will be times you'll seem stagnant....but also times of epiphany.
    ...sometimes Epiphony!