Thread: E Chord moves and becomes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default E Chord moves and becomes?

I've been messing with a little finger picking melody for a while now and I thought I'd mention it here as a bit of an exercise for (us) beginners.

Someone once told me you can play an E chord in several positions on the neck, so a while ago I thought I'd play with that concept as a base to practicing finger style. You know, keep my left hand stuff simple so I can concentrate on the right and all.

Anyway, before you try and pick individual strings, just strum an open E chord, then slide that shape up 1 fret and try it again, then 1 more fret (so 2 frets from an open E) and try that.

See? They all sound musical

So what I've been doing is just moving between these three chords and trying out using two fingers to arpeggio (arpeggiate?) those three chords. It's not really enough for a song, but it's musical enough for practicing string skipping, single strings, leaving strings ring while you play others and so on.

I'm sorry I have NO idea what the second two chords are, or what key that'd be in I just got excited that I might be able to contribute something

Post Thanks / Like

Moving it up twice turns it into Gb11.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! What about moving it up once? (and is there an easy way of working these things out?)

Post Thanks / Like

No idea. I'm not sure it's a proper chord, really...

Post Thanks / Like

Sure it is. Take your pick:
    E5add#5addb9add11 E 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Flat 9th Add 11th
    Esus4#5addb9add12 E Suspended 4th Sharp 5th Add Flat 9th Add 12th
    Esus4#5addb9add5 E Suspended 4th Sharp 5th Add Flat 9th Add 5th
    E5add#5addb2add11 E 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 11th
    Esus4#5addb2add12 E Suspended 4th Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 12th
    Esus4#5addb2add5 E Suspended 4th Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 5th
    CM13b11sus4/E C/E Major 13th Flat 11th Suspended 4th
    FM#11/E F/E Major Sharp 11th
    B7#11b9sus4/E B/E 7th Sharp 11th Flat 9th Suspended 4th
    B7b9sus4b5/E B/E 7th Flat 9th Suspended 4th Flat 5th

I know next to squat about chord theory, I just know where to look.
    Those chord names could even be wrong......you need to see for yourself......
    Go to this link, make up your chords, scales, etc.......and see what they are.
    It's a good site, try it.

http://jguitar.com/chordname?string5...&labels=letter
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Thanks! What about moving it up once? (and is there an easy way of working these things out?)
    I'm no expert on theory. I take it you moved the open position E chord shape up 1 fret but left the open strings open? Moving the barre E shape up 1 fret will give you an F chord (which of course you already know), but since you left strings 1 & 2 open, that where it gets interesting. The 1st string remains an 'e', so that is the major 7th of the F chord, the 2nd string will be the flat 5th of the F chord. So I am guessing this chord is a Fmaj7b5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    I'm no expert on theory. I take it you moved the open position E chord shape up 1 fret but left the open strings open? Moving the barre E shape up 1 fret will give you an F chord (which of course you already know), but since you left strings 1 & 2 open, that where it gets interesting. The 1st string remains an 'e', so that is the major 7th of the F chord, the 2nd string will be the flat 5th of the F chord. So I am guessing this chord is a Fmaj7b5.
    And that is way more theory than I'm going to ever know.

On a practical level the "E shape" slid up to the 1, 2, 3 and 4th fret is the foundation (if you will) of the old Cream tune "I'm so Glad".
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Oldguy, that site is pretty cool for working out a few of my "invented" chords, but they sure are a mouthful!

"OK Boys, it's a 12 bar blues in E5add#5addb2add11 E 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 11th. Everyone cool with that?"

(OK so I substituted a chord for a key for the sake of comedy)

I might just do a quick clip to demonstrate what I'm on about. (although the news just told me the the state of NSW will have the highest temperature anywhere in the world this weekend, around 47c (116f) so I might just be lying in the pool for 48 hours)

Evenkeel, I vaguely recall that song. I'll dig it out and refresh my memory

Aeolian, I was trying it again last night and I actually only use the top E when playing the open E chord. It sounds a little strange 1 fret up, and a lot strange 2 frets up.

Anyway, I was trying to offer a beginner tip, but it's starting to look a bit intimidating

Post Thanks / Like

I just made a post here that fits right with this topic:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?...83&postcount=1

The Chord Finder gave FMaj7#11, which is the same as aeolian's Fmaj7b5.

I love this Chord Finder. As a matter of fact, I finally purchased it last night. I am currently using it to discover & learn as many open chords that are on the neck. Playing them sounds fantastic, especially when done all over the neck doing various grooves and vamps -- the sound is way cool!

And yes, evenkeel, doing that rundown using the E-chord position is part of the fun..."I'm So Glad" by the Cream.
    - slow&alive / quicknthedead

I was taught to think the next week or month or year will only get better than it is today. So I just keep waiting to see how great it will get! --- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Guitars:
    Yamaha FG-180 {1978 Acoustic}, Wechter Pathmaker {Acoustic/Electric}, Fender Stratocaster {DiMarzio- (2) DP188 Pro Track [Neck & Mid], (1) DP182 Fast Track-2 [Bridge]}, Greg Bennett Samick Torino TR1

Pedals:
    Budda Wah...Chicago Iron Octavian+…HumphreyAudio Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer...Danelectro Fish & Chips Equalizer...Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive... Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive…Fulltone Deja MiniVibe...Marshall Regenerator Stereo Modulation… Marshall Echohead Digital Delay... Marshall Relector Reverb...Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Amp:
    Fender Super Champ XD, Fender Mustang II, Roland Micro Cube
    Weber 50W Mini Mass Attenuator

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is something to play around with

http://www.gootar.com/guitar/
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Wow Oldguy, that site is pretty cool for working out a few of my "invented" chords, but they sure are a mouthful!

"OK Boys, it's a 12 bar blues in E5add#5addb2add11 E 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Flat 2nd Add 11th. Everyone cool with that?"

(OK so I substituted a chord for a key for the sake of comedy)

I might just do a quick clip to demonstrate what I'm on about. (although the news just told me the the state of NSW will have the highest temperature anywhere in the world this weekend, around 47c (116f) so I might just be lying in the pool for 48 hours)

Evenkeel, I vaguely recall that song. I'll dig it out and refresh my memory

Aeolian, I was trying it again last night and I actually only use the top E when playing the open E chord. It sounds a little strange 1 fret up, and a lot strange 2 frets up.

Anyway, I was trying to offer a beginner tip, but it's starting to look a bit intimidating
    It was a good beginner's tip, don't let anything intimidate you, play all sorts of open chords up and down the neck, and have fun doing it.
    It doesn't matter what intricate names are applied to what you're doing, just do it. As someone once told me...........
    "Quit analyzing it so much, pick the damn thing up and play it"
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm just watching T.V. sometimes I'll be noodling around and I'll misfret a chord, but it sounds cool. Then I have to stop and look at what I did. You can have many "happy accidents" (thanks, Bob Ross) that way.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks OldGuy

"Pick it up and play it" is exactly how my tip came about anyway. Honestly I don't really even pay much attention to the strings I'm hitting with my strumming fingers anyway in this example. That's why I thought it'd be a good beginners tip. You can pretty much just let your picking fingers wander and it sounds good.

From this "exercise" (If any other beginners are actually still reading) I usually switch to a minor chord progression and do the same thing. Em Am Dm and pick almost random strings with the right hand until it sounds melodic. Recently I switched a full minor chord practice session to the "Riders on the Storm" chord progression which is Em Am D C. Both ways though really help your coordination between shaping open chords and single string finger skills.

You could of course try any of these exercises using a plectrum, it's just that personally I'm leaning more and more towards fingers for the softer, smoother tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    If I'm just watching T.V. sometimes I'll be noodling around and I'll misfret a chord, but it sounds cool. Then I have to stop and look at what I did. You can have many "happy accidents" (thanks, Bob Ross) that way.
    Exactly. Another "mystery" chord I found that way is a modification of Dm.
    Fret the chord and notice your pinky finger has nothing to do? Place it next to your ring finger, but on the low E. Sounds cool but no idea what it really is

Post Thanks / Like

Similar web site I use often: http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php
    Gregg

Post Thanks / Like

Okay now.in keeping on topic here.if an E chord is played try dropping the finger in the 3rd position down one string after playing an E chord then using the dropped finger chord strum then slide it to the G position.those chords played and muted correct yield Steppenwolfs tune ''The Pusher'' you just have to play them and mute where it's called for.interesting tune that beats born to be wild to pieces while giving up other ideas for experimenting with.no clue how John Kay came up with the things he did but they're all good.
    consider this my small contribution to the beginners forum as one that has played guitar a long long time.I've no clue what those are but they do work if anyone wants to take a crack at it/them.
    oh and Old Guy this is perfect. pick the damn thing up and play it - my thoughts exactly. it is how I did and do it
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

There are several ways of naming these types of chords. An easier way could be to call it Fmaj7b5/E, if you slide up one fret. They key would be to know what scales/modes you could use to play over each chord you make up.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Not being huge on theory I just know it sounds good and does work for that tune.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb